U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-02-2017, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
8,334 posts, read 4,081,709 times
Reputation: 5416

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I was told by friends who work for Septa that they don't have to give you any additional information if they don't want to when asked questions.
Come back, Kim Scott Heinle! All is forgiven!

(Heinle was - and I believe is still - SEPTA's Assistant General Manager for Customer Service. He devoted much time and energy to promoting a customer-oriented attitude among the front-line personnel. Or so I was told. Sounds to me like the folks between him and the front line are reverting to form, or have reverted to form.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-03-2017, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
2,130 posts, read 1,143,482 times
Reputation: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
SEPTA is short for "SEPtic TAnk", didn't you know that?
We knew this dirtball that worked for SEPTA, 'SEPTA John' ... Some referred to him as 'SEPTic Tank John.'
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2017, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Montco PA
2,092 posts, read 4,447,835 times
Reputation: 1553
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I was told by friends who work for Septa that they don't have to give you any additional information if they don't want to when asked questions.
It's probably against union regulations to have to work.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2017, 12:26 PM
 
10,789 posts, read 6,609,321 times
Reputation: 3925
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
It's probably against union regulations to have to work.
Do you ride it? The MFL works. The BSL works. The subway service/green line works. The buses run. The NHSL works as do the regional rails(granted last summer was a mess regarding rolling stock). Would anyone posting here actually want to drive a bus? Want truly surly? Try to engage MTA workers in NYC. They make septa people look like sweethearts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2017, 12:29 PM
 
10,789 posts, read 6,609,321 times
Reputation: 3925
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Come back, Kim Scott Heinle! All is forgiven!

(Heinle was - and I believe is still - SEPTA's Assistant General Manager for Customer Service. He devoted much time and energy to promoting a customer-oriented attitude among the front-line personnel. Or so I was told. Sounds to me like the folks between him and the front line are reverting to form, or have reverted to form.)
Sidebar comment. Is it true that the WMTA has "stolen" some Septa management over the years in an attempt at fixing what's wrong down there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2017, 05:36 PM
 
6 posts, read 2,956 times
Reputation: 10
SEPTA teaches customer service but it's the passengers and management that make driver bitter. NYC MTA drivers are worse than SEPTA drivers and now MTA drivers sit behind partitions so it's worse. Customers are horrible and entitled.

Thanks for your review. I can agree with most of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2017, 05:41 PM
 
6,179 posts, read 2,291,448 times
Reputation: 2735
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Do you ride it? The MFL works. The BSL works. The subway service/green line works. The buses run. The NHSL works as do the regional rails(granted last summer was a mess regarding rolling stock). Would anyone posting here actually want to drive a bus? Want truly surly? Try to engage MTA workers in NYC. They make septa people look like sweethearts.
I just can't understand why it's a problem for some of the drivers to answer a simple question. If they are that miserable they need to quit and look for something less stressful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2017, 12:13 AM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
8,334 posts, read 4,081,709 times
Reputation: 5416
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I just can't understand why it's a problem for some of the drivers to answer a simple question. If they are that miserable they need to quit and look for something less stressful.
I have a friend who studied landscape architecture in college, pursued work in the field for a while, then signed on with the Railroad Division, something he had long wanted to do. He's now a conductor.

He tends not to suffer fools gladly to begin with, but the job has made him even less charitably inclined towards his fellow human beings after the stunts some riders pull.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2017, 12:18 AM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
8,334 posts, read 4,081,709 times
Reputation: 5416
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Sidebar comment. Is it true that the WMTA has "stolen" some Septa management over the years in an attempt at fixing what's wrong down there?
Hadn't heard that, but wouldn't be surprised if it had.

However, the things at WMATA that really need fixing probably can't be repaired with borrowed managers from a more competent transit agency. From what I've read and some things I've heard from people with some knowledge of Washington mass transit, WMATA has a really toxic workplace culture with an abysmal safety culture laid over that.

The sainted David Gunn even tried to do something about the mess. He couldn't either. (Gunn was largely responsible for getting SEPTA into decent shape in the early 1980s; he can be credited with bringing the Broad Street Subway back from near death.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2017, 09:15 AM
 
10,789 posts, read 6,609,321 times
Reputation: 3925
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Hadn't heard that, but wouldn't be surprised if it had.

However, the things at WMATA that really need fixing probably can't be repaired with borrowed managers from a more competent transit agency. From what I've read and some things I've heard from people with some knowledge of Washington mass transit, WMATA has a really toxic workplace culture with an abysmal safety culture laid over that.

The sainted David Gunn even tried to do something about the mess. He couldn't either. (Gunn was largely responsible for getting SEPTA into decent shape in the early 1980s; he can be credited with bringing the Broad Street Subway back from near death.)
Gunn solved the graffiti problem here and in NY. He came along at a critical time for Septa.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top