U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 09:04 PM

48 posts, read 50,537 times

Advertisements

I'll start with a short background to help you understand why I ask advice from all of you Philly residents.

Any help you give is extremely appreciated!!!

My wife and I are originally from Michigan. I was born and raised and lived there until I was 27 years old and her 47 years old so we are attached to living in exciting weather (rain, wind, thunder, lightning and snow) but had not realized this before leaving the Midwest/Northeast US.

We lived 15 months in Rochester, NY after MI and then moved to Kailua Kona, Hawaii a few years ago for 9 months before realizing we wanted to get back to the mainland and we now reside in Greenville, SC. We have been here for about 2.5 years.

We have decided we would like to live in the north again, but this time get closer to the Northeast. We have done a lot of research and have also visited Philly once earlier this year (probably going back gain in a few months). We LOVE IT. It's definitely what we are looking for on the subject of overall culture. The history, the art, the diversity, the "brotherly love", the food, the fast pace, etc. Not to mention getting back to the high energy and direct personalities of the folks in the north. Oh my how we miss you wonderful northerners. We are looking sometime early to mid next year.

Now the question...

My wife is looking for more snow than I am. We both LOVE the rain but she really really wants more snow than what we think Philly offers so we want to get as much as possible. We understand east PA doesn't offer much snow at all once you get in the low land of the city.

Is there a specific burb or nearby town within 30 mins that gets a snow dumping more often than others? Also, can we expect thunder/lightning storms this close to the ocean? This area appears to get a ton of rain according to Sperling's Best Places but here in the Southeast US we get a lot in short burst. It's very short lived with little thunder or lightning.

We have looked at Wyncote specifically thus far. We would consider further from the city also. We don't have to be within 20 minutes of downtown. Would ideally like to be near a train station for weekend adventures downtown but understand that can't be primary. Looking in the $200,000 - $325,000 range on housing.

I understand most people want less weather and this may seem petty but I guess this is what 5 years of soul searching and moving around has taught us about ourselves.

Thank you in advance for all the help on this subject.

Last edited by MI2NY2HI2; 06-04-2017 at 09:26 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 12:40 AM

5,127 posts, read 6,901,239 times
Wow, your post made me chuckle -- looking for snow, thunder and lightning, and not happy in Hawaii -- wow! Kind of the opposite of what most people are seeking!

I'm not a meteorologist, but I lived in the Philly suburbs most of my life. The snowfall can vary from town to town, but that's more a function of the storm pattern and direction, rather than the location of the town itself. Typically you'd get more snow as you head up toward the Poconos, but even that sometimes doesn't matter.

There are some winters in Philly where there's hardly any snow -- this past winter, for example. In other years, we got slammed every other day, it seemed. So if you're looking for snowy winters every year, you can't count on it in Philly.

As for rain, I don't know why it's mentioned as being one of the rainiest locations -- it's certainly not like Florida where it rains almost every day in summer. Yes, you can get thunder/lightning with some storms...but not all.

Overall, if you're looking for severe weather, I don't think Philly's your town. It's pretty moderate. Which is one of the reasons it's so GREAT!

Old 06-05-2017, 01:12 PM

417 posts, read 598,785 times
Default Have you looked at Doylestown?

OK, next time you are in the Philadelphia area. Check out Doylestown, the county seat of Bucks County, north of Philadelphia city/county. Whenever the weatherman is giving totals for snow accumulation, it's always "Expect more snow north and west of the city"... Plus there is lots of love on city/data and elsewhere for Doylestown. Now you're not downtown in Philly, but you are in a walkable area, and Doylestown is the end of the line for mass transit into Philly for a day. Driving is closer to an hour to downtown though.

With regard to storms, we do get some gully-washers with lightning.. including some thunder snow the last few winters. The key to an abundance of snow is elevation. Go north on 495 to Bear Creek Ski resort before Allentown.. your closest skiing... or a bit farther to Blue Mountain in Palmerton for higher, better skiing. I've skied Blue Mountain when it was drizzly at the base of the mountain, but had lots of fluffy flakes for my skiing pleasure up top.

Philly is kind of a moderate climate line around here. Some people grow figs and rosemary in the city - definite mediterranean climate crops - but that's the very edge of that kind of moderate weather. (Which most people like.) But head towards, say, Bethlehem, and you have, shall we say, robust winters. We get all 4 seasons around here, and if you like "interesting" weather here, you got it... quite unlike boring old Hawaii Ha!

Old 06-05-2017, 03:19 PM

11,992 posts, read 11,342,435 times
Yeah-I was going to suggest the Lehigh Valley (Bethlehem Allentown Easton) for more snow, although it's about an hour out. We do get plenty of thunder and lightning which I like too. Not a fan of strong wind though lol.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:43 PM

10,789 posts, read 6,676,513 times
We can get "parts" of hurricanes, OP, but direct hits are extremely rare.

Old 06-05-2017, 04:11 PM

151 posts, read 113,014 times
Greenville is exploding and very popular interesting you would want to head towards a more chaotic urban area which is more expensive with cold weather.

Old 06-05-2017, 05:38 PM

4,920 posts, read 13,097,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Yeah-I was going to suggest the Lehigh Valley (Bethlehem Allentown Easton) for more snow, although it's about an hour out. We do get plenty of thunder and lightning which I like too. Not a fan of strong wind though lol.
Historically Lehigh Valley and Poconos would always get more snow than the Philly area but the past 10 years or so the winters have been odd. Lot of the bigger snow storms have targeted the I-95 corridor.

The city itself acts as a heat island so if you like snow you are definitely better off in the NW suburbs.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:38 AM

10,789 posts, read 6,676,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASRGUY View Post
Greenville is exploding and very popular interesting you would want to head towards a more chaotic urban area which is more expensive with cold weather.
Even if you can't fathom it some people actually like cold weather. The OP, specifically, pointed that out.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:52 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,062,290 times
To get significantly more snow you would need to go to the Poconos, and even that will be significantly less than further north where they get lake effect snow. The northern suburbs of philly may get marginally more snow than the city, but not by much.

I totally get the point about wanting more weather variety. I lived in SoCal for several years and that is one of the things I missed about the northeast.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:46 PM

4,920 posts, read 13,097,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
To get significantly more snow you would need to go to the Poconos, and even that will be significantly less than further north where they get lake effect snow. The northern suburbs of philly may get marginally more snow than the city, but not by much.
Historically yes. The Poconos would get significantly more snow than the Philly region but that hasnt been the case the past 10-15 years for whatever reason. Lehigh Valley + Poconos have been in somewhat of a snow drought with most of the big storms hitting the big cities along 95.

And I wouldnt say the NW Suburbs snowpack is only marginally better than the the city, its significantly more. We've had snowpack out in the suburbs that can last a month or more. The city acts as a heat island and the melt off is much quicker.

The general rain/sleet/snow cut off line is the PA Turnpike. In many cases you get a mix south of the turnpike whereas North of the turnpike remains all snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia