U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-08-2017, 01:07 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,145 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

We may be returning back to Philly after about 15 years (born/raised in the Northeast) due to a potential job in Mt Laurel. We still visit a few times a year for family though my trips are usually just a shot up 95 to the Northeast. Currently we’re living in Uptown Dallas and very much enjoy a more urban vs. suburban setting based on our last few hops.

Doing some early research I’m finding that Old City/Northern Liberties/Fishtown may be ideal. The latter two are more of a surprise given how long I’ve been away (and would never have been on my radar a couple decades ago). I was curious as to what I should consider with respect to those neighborhoods. A few quick questions:

– We’re always concerned about how easy it will be to sell in the near future (3-5 years) if another job surfaces and there still is a lot of new construction going on in those areas it seems. Future is always uncertain but how stable/liquid are those markets?

– How should I think about NoLib vs. Fishtown – seems Fishtown isn’t as far along yet? Is there enough demand to keep pushing the development boundary?

- Looks like those areas are relatively insulated now from significant crime (realizing there is always something going on in a city setting) - true?

- Anything else we should consider? In our mid/early 40’s with no kids to consider. Pretty set on being close to Center City and can deal with a 45ish minute commute in traffic to live where we want.

Many of the homes I noticed in the area seem appealing though the inventory seems thinner than last time I looked a few months back. We are willing to go up to $850,000 or so for 2,000-3,000 sq ft. Saw a few interesting properties but it’s hard with outdated Google maps to get a good feel for the overall area.

Seems like a lot of good stuff has happened while we were away!

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2017, 01:47 PM
 
Location: New York City
1,540 posts, read 909,840 times
Reputation: 2446
Both Northern Liberties and Fishtown are basically totally gentrified. Lots of good bars, restuarants, etc., and a more classy population of people. They aren't cheap neighborhoods, but $850k will undoubtedly get you something more then suitable for your needs. They are both close to 95 and the bridges over to Jersey.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2017, 01:54 PM
 
1,050 posts, read 648,214 times
Reputation: 1645
NoLibs and Fishtown are both great areas but I wonder if they'll skew a little "young" for you. I will fully admit that I live in the burbs, so if I am way off, my fellow posters who are city dwellers can set me straight.


Depending on where in Mount Laurel you will be working, I would recommend concentrating your search on areas within the city that will provide the most ease to get to the Ben Franklin Bridge. While you can theoretically take any bridge to get into Jersey, that one will offer the most direct route east to Mount Laurel. So, all Center City neighborhoods and even University City. I would stay away from deep South Philly and the extreme northeast or northwest neighborhoods.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2017, 02:10 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,145 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
NoLibs and Fishtown are both great areas but I wonder if they'll skew a little "young" for you.
We're young at heart Area we live in Dallas now skews on the younger side as well (though the empty-nester migration back to the city is another trend down here at least).
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2017, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia/South Jersey area
3,504 posts, read 1,879,970 times
Reputation: 11988
Hi ZerophinO
I currently live in Fairmont which is not to far from NoLibs. both are great areas, I would say I'm more familiar with Nolibs. Some pluses. Nolibs and fishtown are most definitely the up and coming sections of the city. tons of new development going on. that could be good and bad. the good is the new houses are gorgeous on the inside. big, roomy, big windows. bad news lol the outsides are butt ugly imo. You would think in the original city of the US they would throw some local flair to them but no. I think one of the reason is that the area is booming so builders are just trying to "get in" quick.
Anyhoo, Nolibs has some great new restaurants all around it.

The big plus is the walkability. Once I get home I don't drive anywhere. all of downtown is a walk away. now in the winter you may want to hop on Septa but seriously I just walked from my house to Rittenhouse square with no problem and I'm a middle 50's gal with a new replaced knee.

the second great thing is entertainment. there seems to be an explosion lately in philadelphia in the Arts and a lot of it is downright cheap. oh on the bad side. Philly just passed that stupid soda tax. 1.5cent tax per ounce on sugary drinks. Insane, so a 2 liter bottle of coke is now 3 bucks. I haven't purchased soda or gatoraide or any drink in months because I refuse to pay it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2017, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
2,130 posts, read 1,140,666 times
Reputation: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Hi ZerophinO
I currently live in Fairmont which is not to far from NoLibs. both are great areas, I would say I'm more familiar with Nolibs. Some pluses. Nolibs and fishtown are most definitely the up and coming sections of the city. tons of new development going on. that could be good and bad. the good is the new houses are gorgeous on the inside. big, roomy, big windows. bad news lol the outsides are butt ugly imo. You would think in the original city of the US they would throw some local flair to them but no. I think one of the reason is that the area is booming so builders are just trying to "get in" quick.
Anyhoo, Nolibs has some great new restaurants all around it.

The big plus is the walkability. Once I get home I don't drive anywhere. all of downtown is a walk away. now in the winter you may want to hop on Septa but seriously I just walked from my house to Rittenhouse square with no problem and I'm a middle 50's gal with a new replaced knee.

the second great thing is entertainment. there seems to be an explosion lately in philadelphia in the Arts and a lot of it is downright cheap. oh on the bad side. Philly just passed that stupid soda tax. 1.5cent tax per ounce on sugary drinks. Insane, so a 2 liter bottle of coke is now 3 bucks. I haven't purchased soda or gatoraide or any drink in months because I refuse to pay it.
I wouldn't call Northern Liberties and Fishtown "up and coming" - they've arrived. And, yeah, the new houses ARE (mostly) ugly.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2017, 08:29 PM
 
10,789 posts, read 6,589,468 times
Reputation: 3925
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
I wouldn't call Northern Liberties and Fishtown "up and coming" - they've arrived. And, yeah, the new houses ARE (mostly) ugly.
They will look like complete crap in 15-20 years. Unlike lots of old row houses, built in the 1920s or before, that still look okay if they've been maintained.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2017, 08:31 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
2,130 posts, read 1,140,666 times
Reputation: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
They will look like complete crap in 15-20 years. Unlike lots of old row houses, built in the 1920s or before, that still look okay if they've been maintained.
I doubt there's a brick in any of them.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2017, 07:52 AM
 
Location: New York City
7,192 posts, read 6,271,505 times
Reputation: 4265
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
They will look like complete crap in 15-20 years. Unlike lots of old row houses, built in the 1920s or before, that still look okay if they've been maintained.

The same for graduate hospital. How we view the ugly rowhomes of the 1980s is how we will view the homes of today in 2040, if they even standup that long.
Many of these are built with the cheapest materials possible. The only exceptions are the extremely custom homes on Eastern Walnut st and a few other CC locations. (they also look better too). Almost everything going up in Fishtown right now total crap regardless of how expensive it is. If people can afford it, buy a loft in a converted factory over a stickbuilt rowhome.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2017, 08:46 AM
 
10,789 posts, read 6,589,468 times
Reputation: 3925
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
I doubt there's a brick in any of them.
Brick work requires skilled masons. How many know how to do that kind of work now? One reason some of the new Mormon stuff along Vine St looks so good is because of how it's been made with brick. Why do most of the remaining works of Frank Furness appear so flawless decades later? Intact masonry.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top