Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 04:26 PM

28 posts, read 25,695 times

Advertisements

I'll admit I had to look up this "crunchy" term. It seems like it's just a euphemism for being liberal. So, with that in mind, I currently live in Chestnut Hill, and this general area might be a good fit, as others have suggested. One thing I found a bit funny was that, while I have always thought of myself as being moderately liberal, the folks in Mt. Airy put me to shame. Their brand of liberalism makes me feel like a conservative. I always feel like I'm committing a crime against humanity when I forget to reuse bags at Weaver's Way. All-in-all---it's a great place to live, despite the oddities, which just make things a bit more interesting. The people are very nice, many say hello, and generally care about the neighborhood. Lots of families, dogs, etc. Plus you have easy access to the Ave., public transportation, and plenty of parks. However, the public schools are not too great after elementary school (elem: below average to average quality, after: suburbs or private *generally* req'd for a decent education).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 08:28 AM

518 posts, read 1,052,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyjawns View Post
I'll admit I had to look up this "crunchy" term. It seems like it's just a euphemism for being liberal. So, with that in mind, I currently live in Chestnut Hill, and this general area might be a good fit, as others have suggested. One thing I found a bit funny was that, while I have always thought of myself as being moderately liberal, the folks in Mt. Airy put me to shame. Their brand of liberalism makes me feel like a conservative. I always feel like I'm committing a crime against humanity when I forget to reuse bags at Weaver's Way. All-in-all---it's a great place to live, despite the oddities, which just make things a bit more interesting. The people are very nice, many say hello, and generally care about the neighborhood. Lots of families, dogs, etc. Plus you have easy access to the Ave., public transportation, and plenty of parks. However, the public schools are not too great after elementary school (elem: below average to average quality, after: suburbs or private *generally* req'd for a decent education).
You got that right. It's not just me then. I always kinda considered myself left leaning/tolerant, but am all for common sense and majority rules/compromise. If anything I consider myself Independent and libertarian a bit, but I feel like a neo-con conservative in Mt. Airy. It goes against what many will say, but I found Chestnut Hill friendlier in general than Mt. Airy, but surely there are a lot of variables and might depend what block you live on. But I've met nice people in Mt. Airy too, but a few neighbors have rubbed me the wrong way. You definitely meet all kinds.

OP you might find this site useful if you can access it.

https://wmtairy.nextdoor.com/news_fe...view_news_feed

Old 06-20-2017, 01:17 PM

21 posts, read 40,653 times
Come to Phoenixville. This is a very walkable community, diverse and crunchy in its own small town way. There are tons of events and activities with a growing entertainment base - for instance three going on four breweries in town.

As regards schools, Phoenixville is opening a brand new "Early Learning Center" for K and 1st grade. Our daughter starts this Fall. The curriculum is very impressive. I've also learned that Phoenixville HS is excellent, especially math/science. The school ranking numbers aren't great on paper because the economic diversity suppresses those scores. Somehow the percentage of children on reduced price lunch automatically drag down the score. But the resources are amazing here.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:05 PM

16 posts, read 20,279 times
Kennett Square is a great little town. It's in the far suburbs from the city. But in terms of Kennett itself -- it has a cute downtown. Talulah's Table is one of the most revered restaurants in the country. It's literally one table and has a years-long reservation waiting list. (Downstairs is a very cool market.) There is also an incredible Mexican ice pop/ice cream shop.

One thing about Kennett: It literally smells for months at a time. Kennett is the mushroom growing capital of the United States. As a result, there is a really noticeable and gnarly smell for much of the year. Locals get used to it after a while. But anytime I've been to Kennett I've noticed it immediately. (In fact, I went for mushroom festival.) KS is also right by a ton of the modern strip mall conveniences of life on US-1. But it's a bit of a hike from Philly.

One overlooked suburb is Ambler. Ambler is closer to the city and has one of the best downtowns of any suburb in the area. They have a lot of really great restaurants and the Ambler Theater is an A+ movie house. It's cheaper price wise than the Main Line towns.

Glenside might also work. The Keswick area has a big theater with national touring acts and is a bit more youthful than your usual suburb. Cool little area.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:31 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbond View Post
Come to Phoenixville. This is a very walkable community, diverse and crunchy in its own small town way. There are tons of events and activities with a growing entertainment base - for instance three going on four breweries in town.

As regards schools, Phoenixville is opening a brand new "Early Learning Center" for K and 1st grade. Our daughter starts this Fall. The curriculum is very impressive. I've also learned that Phoenixville HS is excellent, especially math/science. The school ranking numbers aren't great on paper because the economic diversity suppresses those scores. Somehow the percentage of children on reduced price lunch automatically drag down the score. But the resources are amazing here.
Wow. So poor kids are dumb? Sounds really welcoming, especially to the crunchy OP.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:41 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,232 times
How diverse is West Mount Airy? I heard it was mostly just well-to-do African-American and white Jewish.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:53 AM

744 posts, read 775,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
How diverse is West Mount Airy? I heard it was mostly just well-to-do African-American and white Jewish.

It is true that Mt. Airy is largely black/white. I compare this to when I lived in South Philly when I lived around immigrants from Mexico, Vietnam, Cambodia etc. Mt. Airy, unfortunately, doesn't have that. It does, however, have a good bit of racial and economic integration (except for the area between Germantown and Chew and Gorgas/Upsal). Black and White people don't live in separate sections they live right next door to each other and get along pretty well. My street is almost exactly 50/50. You also have fairly inexpensive apartments next to mansions. Sometimes the large houses have been turned into apartments. There is an effort to attract immigrants but I'm not sure it has been particularly successful.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 1,156 times
Mt. Airy is definitely the crunchiest area around—but I'd also consider the Borough of Jenkintown. It's very walkable (grocery store, shops, restaurants, library, train station all in walking distance), it has a great little school district (very low student:teacher ratios, everyone walks to school), the commute downtown is so easy (via SETPA rail) and there are lots of crunchy parents.

Ambler is also worth considering (especially with its new grocery co-op!), but it's a little further out, so a longer commute downtown. Its school district is not quite as charming, but it is very highly ranked.

Conshohocken is very walkable too, but also a longer commute. And housing prices there are skyrocketing.

Jenkintown, Ambler and Conshohocken also all have breweries, which is definitely an indicator of hip young communities (IMO).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia