Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 04:03 PM

28 posts, read 25,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Well Olney already bottomed out IMO-and is improving today. It is not a bad place-maybe the most ethnically diverse neighborhood in the city and the commercial district has held on.
I spent my childhood in Olney, and in the years before I left, I could feel the tension rise, and race became more of a factor in my daily life. Fights and confrontations were common---for no reason at all. Earlier this year, I drove through the area (near Olney Rec), as I do from time to time, to look at the old house, and several people made it very clear that I was not welcome. The circumstances, which I have no interest in going into other than to say that I could have pressed charges for assault/attempted battery, made it feel again like a racial thing, but it's possible it was just someone trying to start trouble. It wasn't a nice area when I lived there as a kid, and it isn't a nice area now. Then again, I suppose it is all relative---it's probably in the middle as far as violent crime goes in Philly.

The homes in East Oak Lane are beautiful, but they aren't plentiful, which has probably been a good thing for the stability of the neighborhood. Many of the people who live there have lived there for many years, and care about their neighborhood. As decent as the neighborhood is compared with what surrounds it, proximity still plays a role from time to time. I always tell people to look at crime maps before moving to identify problem areas, etc., and compare it to your current/past living situations in determining comfort level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Really? Mayfair seemed like the stable neighborhood compared to nearby places like Oxford Circle, Lawncrest, Frankford and Tacony. It's not 100% Irish-American anymore, but seems to be doing ok.
My few friends who live in Mayfair tell me it is largely block-by-block these days. Based on their experiences, it certainly *seems* to be in a period of decline.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:38 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyjawns View Post
I spent my childhood in Olney, and in the years before I left, I could feel the tension rise, and race became more of a factor in my daily life. Fights and confrontations were common---for no reason at all. Earlier this year, I drove through the area (near Olney Rec), as I do from time to time, to look at the old house, and several people made it very clear that I was not welcome. The circumstances, which I have no interest in going into other than to say that I could have pressed charges for assault/attempted battery, made it feel again like a racial thing, but it's possible it was just someone trying to start trouble. It wasn't a nice area when I lived there as a kid, and it isn't a nice area now. Then again, I suppose it is all relative---it's probably in the middle as far as violent crime goes in Philly.

The homes in East Oak Lane are beautiful, but they aren't plentiful, which has probably been a good thing for the stability of the neighborhood. Many of the people who live there have lived there for many years, and care about their neighborhood. As decent as the neighborhood is compared with what surrounds it, proximity still plays a role from time to time. I always tell people to look at crime maps before moving to identify problem areas, etc., and compare it to your current/past living situations in determining comfort level.
Thanks for the insight. I grew up in Mount Airy and back in the day everyone in the neighborhood went to Cardinal Dougherty, so there is some back and forth between the two neighborhoods. East Oak Lane reminds me very much of where I grew up in East Mount Airy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyjawns View Post
My few friends who live in Mayfair tell me it is largely block-by-block these days. Based on their experiences, it certainly *seems* to be in a period of decline.
To be honest The Northeast had always been my least favorite part of the city-only recently have I come to appreciate it, but it is sad to see some of it in decline-Mayfair does seem to be on a block to block basis now but I do think there are still many strong parts. Fox Chase is a beautiful neighborhood.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the insight. I grew up in Mount Airy and back in the day everyone in the neighborhood went to Cardinal Dougherty, so there is some back and forth between the two neighborhoods. East Oak Lane reminds me very much of where I grew up in East Mount Airy.
I have fond memories of the area around Cardinal Dougherty. For one, I remember watching the Sears Tower implosion from the field there. It was probably not as exciting as being right there, but it was cool nonetheless. And we used to play soccer across the street at Sturgis too---simpler times! Anyway, I totally agree! The homes in East Mt. Airy and East Oak Lane are very similar and quite beautiful. I see definite similarities in the character of the neighborhoods. From a people perspective, Mt. Airy has always felt generally more idiosyncratic compared with East Oak Lane, although I can't say if that's true today. Both always seemed to have strong communities with people who care about their neighborhood and its people.

Quote:
To be honest The Northeast had always been my least favorite part of the city-only recently have I come to appreciate it, but it is sad to see some of it in decline-Mayfair does seem to be on a block to block basis now but I do think there are still many strong parts. Fox Chase is a beautiful neighborhood.
I agree re:Fox Chase. I know a few people who live there, and from what they describe, it is still a great neighborhood. Between Burholme and the public pool, we had a blast anytime we went up there!

Old 06-13-2017, 10:49 PM

14,172 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone would apply the word "beautiful" to Oxford Circle, but the 18 months I spent living just off it (on a lovely block lined with London plane trees and English picturesque-style row homes built ca. 1946) were a real eye-opener.

That was my introduction to the Northeast as little United Nations. For those of you who may have missed the memo, the neighborhoods of the Lower Northeast above Northwood have become the city's immigrant magnet, and they've changed the character of the area dramatically - for the better, multiculturally speaking, and probably economically speaking too.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:19 AM

752 posts, read 460,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
... the city's immigrant magnet, and they've changed the character of the area dramatically - for the better, multiculturally speaking, and probably economically speaking too.
Perhaps but if we call Castor the main drag of that immigrant hub, it’s certainly not cleaner. I haven’t seen that much litter and trash on sidewalks/streets since Washington Ave. circa 1985.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:41 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Perhaps but if we call Castor the main drag of that immigrant hub, it’s certainly not cleaner. I haven’t seen that much litter and trash on sidewalks/streets since Washington Ave. circa 1985.
But that's part of the new inhabitants charm ... and let's not even talk about the increase in crime and rude behavior.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:56 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Fishtown was featured on HGTV's House Hunters the other night. Nice row houses for under $250K.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:46 AM

14,172 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Fishtown was featured on HGTV's House Hunters the other night. Nice row houses for under $250K.
Where?

Old 06-17-2017, 01:57 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
They didn't give street names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia