Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 12:32 PM

9,331 posts, read 13,002,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
People can do without Dutch and Amish country!
Why? It's a nice day trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 02:16 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times
I so want to drag this list over to the Phoenix board and gloat a bit but I won't.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:25 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I didn't see Chicago on this list.
I know which can of surprised me since the city has more to offer.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:57 PM

377 posts, read 474,595 times
Chicago is a spectacular city to visit, one of the best in the world let alone the country.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:00 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
Quote:
I didn't see Chicago on this list.
Depends on the link and criteria used.

This link and rank for Chicago. Had my local ABC TV station out of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Have a segment on its news programming on Chicago. By the rank in this link. Where I saw the link mentioned.

2017’s Best Summer Vacation Spots ....

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-summe...inations/3792/

Chicago made #5 on this list

- how it ranked per gauge:
Travel costs and hassles: #6
Local cost: #53
Attractions: #5
Weather: #45
Activities: #4
Safety: #21

Philly made #24 on the list

-how it ranked per gauge:
Travel costs and hassles: #23
Local cost: #67
Attractions: #12
Weather: #46
Activities: #16
Safety: #30

You all can debate that comparison..... I know, not the thread link topic.
Great to see Philly getting some higher rankings in some links.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:23 AM

14,167 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Depends on the link and criteria used.

This link and rank for Chicago. Had my local ABC TV station out of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Have a segment on its news programming on Chicago. By the rank in this link. Where I saw the link mentioned.

2017’s Best Summer Vacation Spots ....

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-summe...inations/3792/

Chicago made #5 on this list

- how it ranked per gauge:
Travel costs and hassles: #6
Local cost: #53
Attractions: #5
Weather: #45
Activities: #4
Safety: #21

Philly made #24 on the list

-how it ranked per gauge:
Travel costs and hassles: #23
Local cost: #67
Attractions: #12
Weather: #46
Activities: #16
Safety: #30

You all can debate that comparison..... I know, not the thread link topic.
Great to see Philly getting some higher rankings in some links.
Ever since WalletHub came out with a list of "10 Best Cities for Transit" that based its rankings on apples-and-oranges comparisons (e.g., systemwide ridership on a regional system divided by core city population only), I've tended to dismiss their rankings.

But since travel "bests" are somewhat subjective to begin with, I might not dismiss this out of hand. The answer to the question "Where should you go?" depends to a great extent on the answer to the question "What do you want to do?" As I think someone posted upthread, you wouldn't go to the Grand Canyon for the same reasons you'd go to Philadelphia, and ranking both on the same list is a little unfair to each.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:58 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,349,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
People can do without Dutch and Amish country!
LOL! That would be MY only reason to go!!

Old 06-22-2017, 07:26 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
I so want to drag this list over to the Phoenix board and gloat a bit but I won't.
Is Philadelphia bashing thread still active on their forum? I refuse to look. I don't think Phoenix is on many radars as a place to visit. But I am going to Scottsdale next month for a spa weekend in the dessert which I am excited for!

Old 06-22-2017, 09:13 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
Philadelphia bashing thread? That is an incredibly stretch. Nothing more than a couple posters from a couple different places doing what some people do. This type of stuff was honestly worse the last time the same projection happened ..... Around 2003 if memory serves me

Philadelphia is a great tourist city. A lot to do, many low cost or free options, compact and there isn't a tourist hostility. I much prefer over NYC or Chicago.

Where in Scottsdale will you be? Old Town? North? Way North? There are some fantastic resorts. Depending where you stay you may have as many locals as visitors. July can be brutal though as monsoon season is in effect. If you are looking for suggestions drop a line or post back over - would much rather do that than talk more about the weather.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:22 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Philadelphia bashing thread? That is an incredibly stretch. Nothing more than a couple posters from a couple different places doing what some people do. This type of stuff was honestly worse the last time the same projection happened ..... Around 2003 if memory serves me

Philadelphia is a great tourist city. A lot to do, many low cost or free options, compact and there isn't a tourist hostility. I much prefer over NYC or Chicago.

Where in Scottsdale will you be? Old Town? North? Way North? There are some fantastic resorts. Depending where you stay you may have as many locals as visitors. July can be brutal though as monsoon season is in effect. If you are looking for suggestions drop a line or post back over - would much rather do that than talk more about the weather.
Over Chicago? Just curious why since I'm supposed to go there for a vacation soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia