Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 11:20 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Parts of Ardmore*, Haverford and Bryn Mawr lie in Haverford Township, Delaware County, where most of the college of that name also lies. Most of Haverford is more middle-class than the Main Line portion of the township, and its school district is also highly regarded. I'm not sure what that township's politics are, though; however, you might want to school yourself on it too.
All of Ardmore, Haverford and Bryn Mawr are on the Main Line no matter whether parts of them are in Haverford Twp/DelCo or not.

What make Haverford Twp "middle class" per se is Havertown which is not on the Main Line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 12:32 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
All of Ardmore, Haverford and Bryn Mawr are on the Main Line no matter whether parts of them are in Haverford Twp/DelCo or not.

What make Haverford Twp "middle class" per se is Havertown which is not on the Main Line.
This is where it gets confusing to outsiders.

Haverford is one of two Main Line communities centered on railroad stations that is also the name of a municipality that includes territory not part of the Main Line (the other is Radnor; the area around the station of that name is largely given over to office parks, and the community at the heart of Radnor Township is Wayne).

Most of Haverford Township lies outside the Main Line. Besides Havertown, the communities found in the township include Oakmont, Llanerch, Brookline and a couple of others whose names escape me now.

The one township on the Main Line all of whose territory lies within its generally understood boundaries is Lower Merion. (Narberth Borough, the only municipality of that type on the Main Line, is completely surrounded by Lower Merion Township, whose school district Narberth shares.) Radnor comes close, but I'm not sure its more working-class Garrett Hill section qualifies.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:43 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:

Haverford is one of two Main Line communities centered on railroad stations that is also the name of a municipality that includes territory not part of the Main Line (the other is Radnor; the area around the station of that name is largely given over to office parks, and the community at the heart of Radnor Township is Wayne).

Most of Haverford Township lies outside the Main Line. Besides Havertown, the communities found in the township include Oakmont, Llanerch, Brookline and a couple of others whose names escape me now.

The one township on the Main Line all of whose territory lies within its generally understood boundaries is Lower Merion. (Narberth Borough, the only municipality of that type on the Main Line, is completely surrounded by Lower Merion Township, whose school district Narberth shares.) Radnor comes close, but I'm not sure its more working-class Garrett Hill section qualifies.
Why wouldn't Garrett Hill qualify? It's completely surrounded by communities commonly accepted as part of the Main Line. While the Main Line strongly correlates with affluence, at the end of the day it's a geographic area and not an income bracket. Besides, Garrett Hill is no more working class (really, of "working class heritage," with median home prices north of $300,000) than Belmont Hills, or parts of Narberth, Ardmore, and Bryn Mawr, for that matter.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:

Are you remembering that I actually lived in Haverford(19041) for all of my childhood and part of my young adulthood? I'm thinking you aren't remembering it. My mother spent 70 years living in Haverford; she arrived there when she was an infant in 1916. I have a cousin who lives there. Decades of history there. It is a bit disengenous of you to infer(which you are) that I do not know what I'm talking about.

The Havertown neigborhood you are missing is Manoa. And sometimes Brookline is refered to as Penfield-Brookline.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Why wouldn't Garrett Hill qualify? It's completely surrounded by communities commonly accepted as part of the Main Line. While the Main Line strongly correlates with affluence, at the end of the day it's a geographic area and not an income bracket. Besides, Garrett Hill is no more working class (really, of "working class heritage," with median home prices north of $300,000) than Belmont Hills, or parts of Narberth, Ardmore, and Bryn Mawr, for that matter.
Thank you!

Old 06-25-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Are you remembering that I actually lived in Haverford(19041) for all of my childhood and part of my young adulthood? I'm thinking you aren't remembering it. My mother spent 70 years living in Haverford; she arrived there when she was an infant in 1916. I have a cousin who lives there. Decades of history there. It is a bit disengenous of you to infer(which you are) that I do not know what I'm talking about.

The Havertown neigborhood you are missing is Manoa. And sometimes Brookline is refered to as Penfield-Brookline.
I guess I got a little rankled because I thought you thought I didn't know the difference between Haverford the Main Line community and Haverford the township. That was the impression I got from your earlier reply.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Forgive my confusion and characterization of Garrett Hill, which is probably close in origin and character to what was known as West Manayunk until its residents decided they wanted no association with the old blue-collar mill town across the river and had the community's name changed to Belmont Hills in the 1950s, I guess.

But I think there is a part of Radnor Township that is not considered part of the Main Line. Where is the Radnor Hunt located?

Old 06-25-2017, 02:20 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Forgive my confusion and characterization of Garrett Hill, which is probably close in origin and character to what was known as West Manayunk until its residents decided they wanted no association with the old blue-collar mill town across the river and had the community's name changed to Belmont Hills in the 1950s, I guess.

But I think there is a part of Radnor Township that is not considered part of the Main Line. Where is the Radnor Hunt located?
Belmont Hills is also far more isolated from its neighbors. Garrett Hill flows seamlessly into surrounding Rosemont and Villanova. The former West Manayunk is a tiny, dense, hilltop neighborhood that had mini ethnic enclaves, including a little Italy/Albania, well into the 20th century.

Despite its name, the Radnor Hunt is off Providence Road in Willistown Township (across the street from the historically Jewish white Manor Country Club, no less). That section of Chester County has a Malvern mailing address and is on the periphery of the "New" Main Line.

The Radnor Hunt may have been in Radnor in the past. A lot of clubs kept their geographic-specific names when they moved from nearer suburbs to the then-rural hinterlands. Among other examples, Gladwyne's Philadelphia CC started life on the Belmont Plateau, Bryn Mawr's Overbrook Golf Club was formed where Lankenau Hospital now stands, and Cedarbrook straddled Cheltenham Avenue before relocating to Penllyn.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 06-25-2017 at 02:33 PM..

Old 06-26-2017, 09:26 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,563 times
Quote:

I want to clarify the bold above, although I hope we're not confusing the heck out of the OP. The "communities" you mention above are just areas within the unincorporated town of Havertown. I live in the Oakmont section of Havertown. They are: Oakmont, Llanerch, Brookline, Manoa, Paddock Farms, Lynnewood Park, Westgate Hills, Merion Golf Manor, Coopertown, Beechwood, Merwood, South Ardmore, and Penfield. None of these communities are towns unto themselves. They are all (with the obvious exception being South Ardmore) in Havertown.

This is how I look at it. None of those sections (neighborhoods, if you will) of Havertown have their own zip code. If someone is sending me mail, it's going to be addressed to Havertown, PA 19083. Just like if someone is sending mail to Manayunk, they are sending it to Philadelphia, PA 19127.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
I want to clarify the bold above, although I hope we're not confusing the heck out of the OP. The "communities" you mention above are just areas within the unincorporated town of Havertown. I live in the Oakmont section of Havertown. They are: Oakmont, Llanerch, Brookline, Manoa, Paddock Farms, Lynnewood Park, Westgate Hills, Merion Golf Manor, Coopertown, Beechwood, Merwood, South Ardmore, and Penfield. None of these communities are towns unto themselves. They are all (with the obvious exception being South Ardmore) in Havertown.

This is how I look at it. None of those sections (neighborhoods, if you will) of Havertown have their own zip code. If someone is sending me mail, it's going to be addressed to Havertown, PA 19083. Just like if someone is sending mail to Manayunk, they are sending it to Philadelphia, PA 19127.
Can you explain where you think Coopertown is? Just curious. I went to Coopertown Elementary from the time it opened in 1958 until 1961. Back then the residential area just north of it(which includes Lee and Rodney Circles) was in Bryn Mawr.

Also does Merion Golf Manor include the golf club? The golf club was, at least in part, in Ardmore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia