Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 06:20 AM

44 posts, read 33,859 times

Advertisements

We're here in Philadelphia for a familiarisation trip this week, ahead of leaving the UK for good at the end of July.
Today we're house-hunting with a relocation consultant. We have 6 homes lined up along the mainline, from Valley Forge to Bryn Mawr. We're looking to rent at around $3,000 although the consultant is pushing it a bit towards $4,000.
The kids have their hearts set on Devon Prep and Notre Dame so obviously this increases the pressure the keep the cost of rent contained as much as poosible.

Now since being out here, a new colleague has suggested Bucks County, Wrightsown. She knows of a house that will become available in the summer. However, my question is, is this too far out?

Hubby want to get into the office in downtown Philadelphia by train, he doesn't want to bother with a car. Neither do we want to be too cut off.

Thanks 😉
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 06:49 AM

149 posts, read 322,369 times
As someone who has lived in Bucks Co (near Wrightstown) & works on the Main Line... Main Line by a mile. Wrightstown is really far out, it's going to be a loooooong drive to & from Center City every day (at least 1 hour each way, probably more with traffic). The Thorndale/Paoli Regional Rail Line (which serves the Main Line) will get you into Center City in 30-45min depending on your station. Plus you have more options to drive in (even if one of them is I-76, possibly the worst highway in the US). Plus, if your kids want to go to Devon Prep & Notre Dame, Wrightstown would be miserable for them too. Granted, housing might be a little cheaper in Bucks Co, but not significantly.

Good luck in your search!

Old 06-29-2017, 07:03 AM

Thank you very much NovaDragon. That was our fear too. It's a reassuring post as we head out this morning.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:36 PM

9,309 posts, read 12,898,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteHorseFlier View Post
We're here in Philadelphia for a familiarisation trip this week, ahead of leaving the UK for good at the end of July.
Today we're house-hunting with a relocation consultant. We have 6 homes lined up along the mainline, from Valley Forge to Bryn Mawr. We're looking to rent at around $3,000 although the consultant is pushing it a bit towards $4,000.
The kids have their hearts set on Devon Prep and Notre Dame so obviously this increases the pressure the keep the cost of rent contained as much as poosible.

Now since being out here, a new colleague has suggested Bucks County, Wrightsown. She knows of a house that will become available in the summer. However, my question is, is this too far out?

Hubby want to get into the office in downtown Philadelphia by train, he doesn't want to bother with a car. Neither do we want to be too cut off.

Thanks ��
Bucks County is nice, but as NovaDragon pointed out, quite removed from the City. Parking and riding at Yardley or Doylestown would take a 20 minute drive, plus an hour-plus train ride.

Since you seem somewhat budget-sensitive and Devon Prep and Notre Dame are among the schmanciest Diocese-independent schools in the land, unless Catholic education is extremely important to you, I'd consider public schooling. Lower Merion, Radnor, and Tredyffrin-Easttown are all top-notch districts.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:34 PM

13 posts, read 15,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Bucks County is nice, but as NovaDragon pointed out, quite removed from the City. Parking and riding at Yardley or Doylestown would take a 20 minute drive, plus an hour-plus train ride.

Since you seem somewhat budget-sensitive and Devon Prep and Notre Dame are among the schmanciest Diocese-independent schools in the land, unless Catholic education is extremely important to you, I'd consider public schooling. Lower Merion, Radnor, and Tredyffrin-Easttown are all top-notch districts.

And Chester County is just as nice and quaint as Bucks County. Love Bucks but cant see any benefits in this particular situation. Chester County is a stones throw from Main Line which expands the housing options if so desired.

Agree about public schools as well. Home Rentals arent cheap on the Main Line in part due to the enviable high achieving public schools. A good chunk of that $3000-$4000 monthly rent goes to help fray the landlords hefty school tax bill.

In this case it works against Flier as it looks as if the preference is Private Schools which is certainly understandable. You're kind of paying for the great public schools in your rent.

Best of luck.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:42 PM

Thank you very much for your help.
We finally settled on a house in Wayne. It was by no means the biggest, all of the houses were beautiful but we were blown away by the sheer size of some of them and we found ourselves a little overwhelmed.
But we really felt we needed to be near a hub, somewhere the kids could continue to develop their independence without being overly dependent on us driving them. So we chose a cosy house nestled among trees that we felt was just right for us, still ample without being too much.
I totally appreciate that high costs of rents are attributable to excellent public schools but my husband really wanted to a simple train ride into the city and I loved the vibe around Wayne. I love, love, love the great big trees. This area is absolutely beautiful.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:37 AM

13 posts, read 15,363 times
Wayne is a good choice. Very Nice town.

Good luck with your new adventure.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,744 times
Default Havertown/Ardmore

I grew up in Havertown very close to Merion golf course. There is commuter transportation via the Norristown 69th street line which connects you to the L and takes you into center city. Driving to center city is an option as well only a 20 min drive Without traffic via west Chester pike and continues through west philly. Very close to both Notre Dame and Devon prep just a short ride up Darby rd. Brand new YMCA and beautiful parks and recreational opportunities as well. Close to the Blue Route 476 which connects you to King of Prussia a great entertainment center. Housing market and taxes are both fair. Both schools are excellent choices alternatives would be Malvern Prep all boys Episcopal Academy Co-ed Merion Mercy Villa Maria both all girls. Best of luck

Old 07-03-2017, 12:40 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,849,658 times
Main line for sure. Train to Center city is very convenient.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:33 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,346,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteHorseFlier View Post
Thank you very much for your help.
We finally settled on a house in Wayne. It was by no means the biggest, all of the houses were beautiful but we were blown away by the sheer size of some of them and we found ourselves a little overwhelmed.
But we really felt we needed to be near a hub, somewhere the kids could continue to develop their independence without being overly dependent on us driving them. So we chose a cosy house nestled among trees that we felt was just right for us, still ample without being too much.
I totally appreciate that high costs of rents are attributable to excellent public schools but my husband really wanted to a simple train ride into the city and I loved the vibe around Wayne. I love, love, love the great big trees. This area is absolutely beautiful.
Well, I was going to say Main Line all the way, but now that's not necessary! Wayne and all the Main Line towns are just fantastic -- I lived in Berwyn (up the road apiece) and just loved the area, and its convenience to getting into the city as well as the major highways. Good luck, and welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia