Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 03:57 PM

333 posts, read 282,723 times

Advertisements

Glad to hear some love for Olney. It won't happen overnight, but we'll definitely see some action there eventually. Intact commercial corridor, good transit options (both a RR stop, as well as Fern Rock TC) and respectable housing stock, as well as a slightly more "spread out" feel that comes from being farther from the core. It's got all the bones; all it needs is a little buzz.

That's the same reason I'm bullish on Logan's chances eventually. Admittedly a waaayy darker horse of a pick, but Logan has pretty much the same things going for it, maybe even a little moreso--slightly better transit being right on top of the BSL, as well as being close to Wayne Junction; slightly bigger and better housing stock; and direct proximity to job / education centers (Einstein, La Salle, Girls High, Central).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 09:19 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,681,266 times
I like some of the diversity in Olney, but I am turned off by my impression of the current status of things. I used to work in one of the schools, and while the environment is great for the students there, it comes at a heavy cost on some of the "lower" level staff who work there. Their cars have gotten broken in to, there's a riff between lower and higher level staff rather than a true partnership, and the higher level staff don't like to "get their hands dirty" with the lower level staff which is very typical, but stuck out for me more here. Everyone wants community, but how every1 is supported to get to that same goal is a completely different story. While a school may not be a good representation of the current way things are, it can be as well. . .

Old 08-07-2017, 04:37 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
I like some of the diversity in Olney, but I am turned off by my impression of the current status of things. I used to work in one of the schools, and while the environment is great for the students there, it comes at a heavy cost on some of the "lower" level staff who work there. Their cars have gotten broken in to, there's a riff between lower and higher level staff rather than a true partnership, and the higher level staff don't like to "get their hands dirty" with the lower level staff which is very typical, but stuck out for me more here. Everyone wants community, but how every1 is supported to get to that same goal is a completely different story. While a school may not be a good representation of the current way things are, it can be as well. . .
I like Kim's @5th and Champlost, the rest of the neighborhood isn't very impressive.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:57 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

You had planted the seed of Bridesburg in my brain, 2002 Subaru, and I actually consider the neighborhood's relative inaccessibility a plus - there are very few neighborhoods in the city that have a secluded-enclave feel about them, and there are people who like that sort of thing. The Wave headed upriver from Fishtown will hit Bridesburg barring some catastrophic collapse in the local real estate market - it's just a question of when. McCabe's article is arguing "sooner" rather than "later".
I agree about the sentiment around inaccessibility being a plus in Bridesburg. It's one of the reasons that I think large new communities, like the one proposed across from the river view movie theater, will get built.

In terms of other "hot neighborhoods", areas of south philly will continue to be. Neighborhoods closer to the new office buildings in West Philly would be a good investment. I still think the area between Temple and Center City will continue to be built out. It's pivotal for the city for this to happen.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:53 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
How about Tacony? Since the Sawtown Tavern opened up I'm sure positive things are happening in that neighborhood!

My focus is more on West Philly (I live in Spruce Hill). For years I was urging people to consider "West Powelton" around Penn Presby and just to the west ... mostly African American and very, very pretty and tidy little neighborhood. Too late. Gentrification of West Powelton is now in full force. My prediction came true.

I am wondering if my next projection is maybe a bit premature ... but ... I think it's possible the next rough and blighted West Philly area that might make a complete turnaround is Kingsessing. USP (University of the Sciences) is expanding and buying up properties on the Woodland Avenue corridor west of 46th Street. Keep your eyes on Kingsessing folks!

Old 08-08-2017, 08:05 PM

14,169 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I am wondering if my next projection is maybe a bit premature ... but ... I think it's possible the next rough and blighted West Philly area that might make a complete turnaround is Kingsessing. USP (University of the Sciences) is expanding and buying up properties on the Woodland Avenue corridor west of 46th Street. Keep your eyes on Kingsessing folks!
1) One of the three "Hot Neighborhoods of 2020" I gave that Realtor was Cobbs Creek.

2) Keep an eye out for the November print issue. I've got photos. I was looking at a home in the 4900 block of Springfield Avenue without actually setting foot in it.

3) Check out a photo I just posted to my Facebook timeline and the response I got from Troy Everwine.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:30 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,452 times
Quote:
I'm thinking that the next West Philly neighborhood to improve will be Belmont. It's kind of iffy since much of West Philly's revitalization hasn't really occurred north of Market; however, it seems like a logical choice given it's location along Lancaster Avenue, neighboring Powelton Village, proximity to University City, the upcoming uCity Square development, etc.

Also, I walked from Temple's campus to 22nd and Hunting Park and back via a few neighborhoods in North Central. From that walk, I have confidence that Strawberry Mansion's revitalization will be in full-swing very soon. I have always had confidence in the portion south of Diamond, as well as the 33rd Street corridor, but I noticed that the housing stock has actually been well-maintained for a poor neighborhood. Once Brewerytown develops in the fashion that Point Breeze has, I would assume that Strawberry Mansion will be next. I think that it will revitalize from west (33rd Street/Ridge Avenue) to east.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:12 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I'm thinking that the next West Philly neighborhood to improve will be Belmont. It's kind of iffy since much of West Philly's revitalization hasn't really occurred north of Market; however, it seems like a logical choice given it's location along Lancaster Avenue, neighboring Powelton Village, proximity to University City, the upcoming uCity Square development, etc.

Parkside and Mantua have more potential than Belmont/ Millcreek. But simple proximity could work as you suggest. That's pretty much what happened wrt to Francisville.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:14 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,932 times
Quote:
How about Tacony? Since the Sawtown Tavern opened up I'm sure positive things are happening in that neighborhood!

Not for another ten, fifteen years, imo. Tacony has easy access to I-95, a commercial district (Torresdale Ave) and a lot of nice architecture (especially east of Torresdale). But, they have a lot of obstacles to hurdle in order to become a 'nice' neighborhood. Even at it's most raggedy, Fishtown was never as bad as Tacony is right now.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:17 PM

85 posts, read 86,396 times
Germantown is going to rise again beautiful houses and the yuppies are moving in. Chelten Ave is going to be cleaned up in 10 years with nice cafes and yoga studios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia