Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 12:52 PM

31 posts, read 63,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droop View Post
LOL, you like the diversity of Lower Merion. That was a joke, right? That's where people move to avoid diversity.
I may be partial in my thinking because my surrounding neighborhood in Wynnewood is pretty diverse. Now, LM overall I still believe has a good mixture of folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Considering what its neighboring townships seem to be doing that's nothing to crow about. And it does bother me that HTSD is so much lower than Radnor or Lower Merion.

I went to HTSD schools(HHS class of '67). My mother, older sister, one niece, two aunts and 4 cousins are all "products" of Haverford Twp schools. We all went to college so academically those schools served us pretty well.
Yes HTSD are great schools. I totally agree with you. I'm originally from DE so the schools are certainly superior in PA by a landslide. Ha ha!

Old 08-09-2017, 01:01 PM

9,316 posts, read 12,911,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashley View Post
I may be partial in my thinking because my surrounding neighborhood in Wynnewood is pretty diverse. Now, LM overall is certainly a different story. It's not largely diverse.
Agreed, and to be clear, it's "diverse" within the limited and highly relative context of affluent suburbia. I had pegged you as living between Lancaster Avenue and East Wynnewood Road, but do you actually live in Penn Wynne, by chance? If you'd prefer to direct message me, we can discuss in greater detail off-forum.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:27 PM

27 posts, read 31,902 times
So you are saying it is very diverse for a non-diverse neighborhood. I understand now.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Lower Merion isn't a bastion of diversity, but it's never been lily white (at least since the '20s, when African Americans began settling in Ardmore in significant numbers). Today, it's among the region's more diverse desirable suburbs and will become steadily more diverse in the years to come. People really looking to avoid diversity aren't gung ho for a place that's ~20% people of color (and 30% Jewish, to boot).

OP: prioritize your pros and cons and accept that no place is going to satisfy all of your wants, unless you're willing to wait for the right house to come on the market in the section of Wynnewood between Narberth and Ardmore. Even then, you probably won't get everything you're looking for.
Thank you and good advice. I'll have to make some compromises which I'm ok with. A connected/shared driveway isn't terrible. I live very close to the area of Wynnewood you are referring to and will keep my eyes peeled for any new homes that may come on the market. Thanks again!!!

Old 08-09-2017, 01:38 PM

9,342 posts, read 9,210,037 times
Quote:
Yes HTSD is rated pretty well I must say. However, based on my research, LM ranks number 4 in PA. I just want the best for my kids; that's all. ��
24th still ranks in the top 5% of school districts in PA. I understand you want the best for your children, but sending your kids to LM vs HTSD will not even remotely matter in the long run. I graduated from Penncrest High School (Rose Tree Media Schools, ranked around 20th in the state) and I have been far more successful then people I grew up with who attended Radnor, Episcopal, Malvern, etc. Because in the end they're all A+ districts so it comes down to the individual and the parenting at that point, not whether a district is ranked number 4 or number 20 out of 500 districts.

My short point: LM is fantastic, but don't turn your nose up at a district that is ranked 15 spots lower. (whether you intended to or not).

Old 08-09-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droop View Post
So you are saying it is very diverse for a non-diverse neighborhood. I understand now.
I don't know if this is sarcasm, but I'll take it at face value for the sake of argument (and to abide by the TOS). I'm saying that there's a modest amount of diversity in the true sense of the word, but that Lower Merion is fairly diverse for an affluent Philadelphia suburb. Many of these suburbs are still 90%+ non-Hispanic white.

Quote:
Thank you and good advice. I'll have to make some compromises which I'm ok with. A connected/shared driveway isn't terrible. I live very close to the area of Wynnewood you are referring to and will keep my eyes peeled for any new homes that may come on the market. Thanks again!!!
By the East Wynnewood Road shopping center?

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 08-09-2017 at 02:23 PM..

Old 08-09-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Agreed, and to be clear, it's "diverse" within the limited and highly relative context of affluent suburbia. I had pegged you as living between Lancaster Avenue and East Wynnewood Road, but do you actually live in Penn Wynne, by chance? If you'd prefer to direct message me, we can discuss in greater detail off-forum.
You pegged me correctly. I live near Lancaster Ave and E Wynnewood rd. The neighborhood is Wynnewood Valley.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
24th still ranks in the top 5% of school districts in PA. I understand you want the best for your children, but sending your kids to LM vs HTSD will not even remotely matter in the long run. I graduated from Penncrest High School (Rose Tree Media Schools, ranked around 20th in the state) and I have been far more successful then people I grew up with who attended Radnor, Episcopal, Malvern, etc. Because in the end they're all A+ districts so it comes down to the individual and the parenting at that point, not whether a district is ranked number 4 or number 20 out of 500 districts.

My short point: LM is fantastic, but don't turn your nose up at a district that is ranked 15 spots lower. (whether you intended to or not).
Very good point and well made. That's definitely something to consider. I appreciate the info. It's really helpful.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:11 AM

OP: what's your preferred lot size? I know you don't want a neighborhood that's too dense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia