Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2017, 03:46 AM

5 posts, read 5,333 times

Advertisements

Hello,
we're currently in the UK but we've been planning a move to the US for some time and my husband (a US citizen originally from Erie) has just accepted a job in Malvern. I've been looking into the area but I won't have the opportunity for a familiarisation visit before my husband moves across (rest of the family will follow in a few weeks) and chooses a rental location for us. I'd therefore really welcome some input into where he should be looking. I think I've narrowed it down to Chester County (but have not dismissed other areas) but am not sure which part would be best.

When are you moving? - My husband will be moving in September 2017, rest of the family will follow in Oct/Nov
Where are you coming from? - UK
Why are you moving? - Planned move to the US to be closer to husband's family ( his Mom and his son are in Erie and his daughter in Philadelphia)
Where will you be working? - Malvern
Have you been here yet? - No - we've visited the touristy parts of Philly and lots of other parts of PA and the USA but not this specific area

Will you buy or rent? rent initially - buy in maybe 12-24 months
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? When we eventually buy a house our budget will be up to around $750K
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? We'd like to rent a proper house - we'd like to spend between $2500 - $3000 per month. It's important that the place we rent is in the same school area as the place we eventually buy as we want to minimise further disruption to the kids
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Walk up

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? PA
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-philadelphia/)

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Married, 2 children moving into the area with us aged 16 and 12 - both very strong academically. Neither is interested in sports!
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? Would like a garden and a pretty view, ideally with lots of trees and water. We would prefer not to live on a standard subdivision with close neighbours. The very idea of Housing Associations brings me out in a rash.
Are you keeping a car? Yes, probably 2
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm and quiet is really important

What do you want to be closest to?
Work -
probably work - less than a 45 minute commute would be ideal
Shopping - not as important but it would be excellent to be close (short drive) to a cute walkable downtown area with coffee shops and community activities
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) - as long as its accessible with a short drive
Nightlife - not important
Train or subway stations - not important

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? People are people - not too concerned!

If it matters, we are socially liberal, fiscally conservative, not materialistic or 'keep up with the Jones's. We value academic achievement (so excellent schools are a must). Our peace and privacy and pretty natural surroundings are important, as is good quality food (farmer's markets and farms with good quality local/organic produce would be super). We like yoga classes, community theatre, cycling, walking, book clubs and vegetarian restaurants rather than malls and sports and fast food.

I've been looking at the Downingtown area - especially around Marsh Creek which I like for the natural surroundings and also at the West Chester area as West Chester itself seems to have a cute downtown and a lot of community activities which we'd enjoy dipping in and out of.

Can anyone suggest specific townships/even specific roads that might be a good fit for us?

Thanks!
Melusine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 07:42 AM

34,246 posts, read 18,612,449 times
I live near Marsh Creek, and really like the area. I have owned the property for 20 years, but only lived there for about ten, and rented it out, as my company moved me to Colorado, then moved me back a few years ago. I actually rented to a very nice family from the UK, and they loved it.

The area has exploded in the last 15 years or so, and there are many more housing developments now, and more being built. There are also newer apartment complexes in the area as well as some older ones towards Exton, and Downingtown. Finding a place to rent should not be a problem, but since I own, I have no idea what rental rates are like. With your housing budget at $750K, you'll have no problem finding a nice place.

It is a safe, convenient area, with quick access to the PA Turnpike, and Rt 202. Downtown Philly is a good 45 minute drive if the traffic cooperates (not at rush hours). Getting to Malvern is easy, and quick though. There are trains stations at Exton, Downingtown etc that can get you to Philly, and elsewhere easily.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:34 AM

48 posts, read 65,701 times
You may also want to check out the Thornbury and Edgmont Townships in Delaware County. The area south of Route 3 (West Chester Pike) and north of Route 1 (Baltimore Pike) to the west of Ridley Creek State Park and east of 202 is a nice open area with large parcels. There are many homes in your price range and the area is very open with rolling hills and lots of trees. You can even find older colonials from the early Philadelphia history. Plus, Ridley Creek State Park is great. The school districts of West Chester Area SD (Rustin High School) and Rose Tree Media SD (Penncrest High School) are very good. That area allows you to enjoy the amenities of both West Chester boro and Media boro with the community theatres, restaurants, cultural items and events. It has the open space feel but is close to everything. It would be a short commute to Malvern.

The area north of Route 3 (West Chester Pike) and south of Route 30 (Lancaster Avenue) east of 202 and west of 252 is more open and has many horse farms (which is why the Devon Horse Show is famous) but the housing prices are higher.

Last edited by DonegalGuy; 07-26-2017 at 09:44 AM..

Old 07-26-2017, 06:26 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,225,174 times
Downingtown,Chester Springs , West Chester, Chadds Ford sound like good fits.

Try Weichert website. Click rental homes. They have a nice find your own home rental feature on their site. I would start with those 4 areas.

Downingtown + Chester Springs puts you in Downingtown. Schools are very good.

Chadds Ford is arguably the best public school district in the entire state. Unionville-Chadds Ford

West Chester schools are good but a notch or two below the others.

Malvern itself is in a great school district(Great Valley) and has some open space bigger houses on the south side of Malvern.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:18 PM

5 posts, read 5,333 times
Thank you all. I've taken a look into those additional areas. I really like Chadd's Ford and Media - there seem to be fewer rentals there in our price range though so I'll have to keep a close eye out for new listings.

Thanks again,

Melusine

Old 08-10-2017, 04:39 PM

4 posts, read 4,849 times
Bichrunville, St. Peter's Village, Glemoore, anyplace around Route 23& 100. It's gorgeous. Rolling hills, horse farms, not stuck with cookie cutter subdivisions either. Owen J Roberts and Downington Public School Districts are great. Avoid Pottstown.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:19 AM

34,246 posts, read 18,612,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melusine View Post
Thank you all. I've taken a look into those additional areas. I really like Chadd's Ford and Media - there seem to be fewer rentals there in our price range though so I'll have to keep a close eye out for new listings.

Chadds Ford would be appropriate. You can visit Brandywine Battlefield, and see where the British kicked our butts, then occupied Philadelphia.

Good Luck. It is a nice area.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:35 PM

3 posts, read 2,792 times
Chadds Ford is a really great and cute town, but do not expect to be near downtown Philadelphia. That's an hour from Philadelphia (FYI, if you don't care, you can disregard this.) Kennett Square is just a quick 5-15 minute drive away via Route 1.

Media is a great town as well, it is very cute, tight knit, artsy, and the schools are ranked very good. I personally really like Media, as it is a nice town, with a 30-45 minute commute to Center City. It has all of what you are looking for, but can be congested.

I recommend the area of northside Lower Merion/Radnor/Wayne, as you can get a lot for your money, but be very centralized. You can't go wrong! It is very quiet, in Bryn Mawr/Haverford/Villanova/Wayne/Gladwyne, and all 3 of the school districts are extremely competitive. The commute from Malvern is not too bad if you take the back roads, and 20 minutes (if hwy. traffic behaves). The train station from Bryn Mawr can get you downtown in 25 mins. It may be "too" busy for you.

If not there is always the further out places, as mentioned above, i.e. Downingtown, Chester Springs, Devon, are always there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia