Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 03:05 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
When a 'progressive' says "It's time we had a conversation" about something, it usually means something is about to disappear (or at least they want it to) to appease the minority.
Her thinking may be more practical than you realize.

The murals can cost thousands to create. Are you aware of that?

Case in point. The health-related mural that was on the south side of Hahnemann Hospital, that suffered storm damage, cost $70,000. The hospital declined to have it restored though.

How much is it costing to fix the Rizzo mural everytime it's been vandalized? Fixing it may require re-hiring the original artist or a substitute who's good enough to do the work. At what point does it become cost prohibitive? Will moving it be the solution?

I have no idea whether any of the murals are insured.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:06 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Probably Electric Factory. I heard about harassment there.

Yeah, if you had long hair, no matter what your race or gender was, you knew to expect harassment. The horse thing at the art college was disgusting, & I was told that the order came down from Rizzo, by the cop. He was a young officer, & while I fed carrots to his horse, he was very talkative.
Ok, thanks.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
And yet a close friend of his owned the 247 Bar.

Go figure.

Relevant aside: Had an interesting chat with an older black woman at the coffee hour after church services at First Presby Germantown today.

This woman was not only opposed to any attempt to move the Rizzo statue, she took a dim view of removing the statues of Confederate generals as well.

But it was her defense of Rizzo that caught my ear. "If he was mayor now, we wouldn't have all these problems with crime," she said.

Much of what else she said could have come out of the mouth of one of those SouFilly Italians who don't much care for black folk. A good bit of it was along the lines of, "If these kids want to know why things are wrong in their neighborhoods, they should look in the mirror" (or words to that effect; "look in the mirror" is a direct quote).

She also lamented a general decline in social order since the 1960s.

I don't know how many older African-Americans like her are out there, but I suspect she's not unique.
It's always funny to me how some people view the past. Scores of priests, for instance, were molesting kids during her "happy days". And you and me would have had to stay in the closet just to live in some degree of comfort. Interestingly this woman, if she's my age or older, lived under de jure segregation for a portion of her life. Fine by her it sounds like.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Interesting. I suspect it's a small minority who want the statue removed ... We need to stop catering to the perpetually offended.
Re: the Confederate statues:

Artistically speaking ... yeah I can be a snob about this kind of thing... many of them are just awful, not inspirational( except to those who care) and look like the work of hacks.

Rizzo's statue: It's boring looking to me. I've ignored it for years and will continue to do so.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Probably Electric Factory. I heard about harassment there.

Yeah, if you had long hair, no matter what your race or gender was, you knew to expect harassment. The horse thing at the art college was disgusting, & I was told that the order came down from Rizzo, by the cop. He was a young officer, & while I fed carrots to his horse, he was very talkative.
Yep, the Electric Factory was at 22nd and Arch, nw corner.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
It's always funny to me how some people view the past. Scores of priests, for instance, were molesting kids during her "happy days". And you and me would have had to stay in the closet just to live in some degree of comfort. Interestingly this woman, if she's my age or older, lived under de jure segregation for a portion of her life. Fine by her it sounds like.
Maybe she was a happy person who stayed out of trouble and had a nice life and family? You're really ornery today ...

Old 08-20-2017, 03:46 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Yep, the Electric Factory was at 22nd and Arch, nw corner.
Thanks. That's the only place that fit the description that I could think of. I knew some kids who went there because there were great acts. The police harassment was so well known that my mother knew about it. She told me that her budget did not include bail, so I could just cool my heels at home or somewhere nearby in Cherry Hill or Haddonfield.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:59 PM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Maybe she was a happy person who stayed out of trouble and had a nice life and family? You're really ornery today ...
The woman did grow up in the segregated South.

I can't speak for K, but I know that I wouldn't trade now for then, not at all. I wouldn't have been possible back then, even were I straight.

That I was able to "grow up integrated" I consider a blessing. That more African-Americans have not been able to do so I do not consider our fault collectively, even though there are lots of African-Americans who, when among themselves, will allow that they trust white people as far as they can throw them.

Old 08-20-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Listen, I came from a solid, educated, middle class(behaving) family. I grew up in the suburbs. I had a great childhood...well it felt that way. I experienced a certain degree of what folks like to say is the American Dream.

But, it took me a while to realize, once I grew up a bit, that some of it was an illusion expertly crafted by my clever parents, grandparents, and other family members. When you love your children, as my family did, you don't want them to suffer needlessly.

What did I realize? That all of them had faced awful discrimination, had to avoid places( because they had no other choice)where I go today with ease and that they were always under employed inspite of their being educated people.

Some of what that woman says isn't wrong but she's in denial about what the past was like.

Old 08-20-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Listen, I came from a solid, educated, middle class(behaving) family. I grew up in the suburbs. I had a great childhood...well it felt that way. I experienced a certain degree of what folks like to say is the American Dream.

But, it took me a while to realize, once I grew up a bit, that some of it was an illusion expertly crafted by my clever parents, grandparents, and other family members. When you love your children, as my family did, you don't want them to suffer needlessly.

What did I realize? That all of them had faced awful discrimination, had to avoid places( because they had no other choice)where I go today with ease and that they were always under employed inspite of their being educated people.

Some of what that woman says isn't wrong but she's in denial about what the past was like.
I doubt she's in denial, probably just doesn't want to dwell on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia