Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2017, 06:24 PM

11 posts, read 17,468 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I've done a lot of reading here, but I wanted to fill out the form to make sure I wasn't overlooking neighborhoods that might be worth looking into.

We would be transplants from Baltimore County, but I grew up in southern NJ and part of why I want to move back is to be closer to my family who are still there. Ideally I'd like to be no further than ~45 minutes from Glassboro, NJ. We're also big Longwood Gardens fans! Easy access to the city is a plus!

We're seriously looking at Media, Wyndmoor / Glenside, Chestnut Hill, Mt. Airy and perhaps East Falls. I've looked a little at West Chester (would this skew too young? That's what we are trying to get away from). Is Bucks County worth looking at based on our other parameters? There's also the darkhorse candidate of Kennett Square although that doesn't quite meet my close to Glassboro requirement.

When are you moving? Variable - There is nothing compelling about moving other than to be closer to family and have a change of pace. We like our home, but live in a college town so it's a bit younger than we'd like.
Where are you coming from? Baltimore County
Why are you moving? See above - to be closer to family and hopefully find something that meshes a little more closely with our priorities
Where will you be working? I work remotely; my husband is a phlebotomist so he's pretty flexible
Have you been here yet? I'm familiar with a lot of the area as a visitor, but still reprogramming my brain to think of the areas as a resident

Will you buy or rent? Interested in buying, but not adverse to renting. Again, since timing isn't a huge issue, we are pretty flexible
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? We don't love yard work so a very small lawn in a SFH could work, but we are more TH people. That's what we have now and like it. Townhouse / row home would be fine. Condo could be ok if the fees aren't insane. Budget is probably anywhere between $350k-$450k depending on the composition of taxes and HOA fees (which are all over the place).

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? PA - No NJ taxes for me.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married. Children are still possible, but not imminent. Good schools are nice to have.
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public
Do you have pets? Yes, cats!
Do you want or need a yard? Not really
Are you keeping a car? We currently have two small cars (Honda Fit / Chevy Spark). Depending on our ultimate location, we will probably get rid of one
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? We like a nice, walkable downtown / mainstreet area, but night time quiet.

What do you want to be closest to? Transit, community events, outdoor activities such as parks would be a plus.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? We enjoy diversity, but are really looking for a strong sense of community.

Coke or Pepsi? Rootbeer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 08:55 PM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
You left Germantown off your list.

It's varied as far as safety and attractiveness goes, but it has many very nice areas within its borders. And much of the housing is both in great shape and affordable. Public transportation is very convenient as well.

And as far as "close to Glassboro" is concerned, I'm surprised you aren't looking anywhere in South Philly. East Passyunk especially should appeal to you: the houses have no yards to speak of - small paved patios in back are the most common form of outdoor space - the main drag (East Passyunk Avenue) has great shopping and dining, and it's very convenient to the city center as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia