Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 09:27 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
and it's a total disgrace! People now have to walk in the street because it smells like an unflushed toilet from all the bums now 'living' on the sidewalk. This was actually my second time along there this week and it's getting worse with the trash and puddles of urine all over the place.
Being as this is a big tourist area, you'd think Mayor Kenney would get this cleaned up, especially since it's only become a problem since he's been elected. What is wrong with this guy and with this administration? I guess he and his 'think' tank have bigger fish to tackle, like where to move statues (looking at you, Helen Gym).
I agree to an extent. the bums in this location were always out in front of the free library, but once the Mormon temple and highway cap were under construction, they all got up and haven't moved from the convention center since. It's disgraceful the city doesn't do more to move those people. I personally think we need to take the next step and make homelessness illegal. It's time. Housing isn't expensive here. We don't have high per capita of homeless people, but we do have a contingency of them that think it's there duty to go to the most visible spots. If you really pay attention too, it's the same people week after week, month after month, on the same blocks.

I'm glad I never have to go over to that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 10:03 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I agree to an extent. the bums in this location were always out in front of the free library, but once the Mormon temple and highway cap were under construction, they all got up and haven't moved from the convention center since. It's disgraceful the city doesn't do more to move those people. I personally think we need to take the next step and make homelessness illegal. It's time. Housing isn't expensive here. We don't have high per capita of homeless people, but we do have a contingency of them that think it's there duty to go to the most visible spots. If you really pay attention too, it's the same people week after week, month after month, on the same blocks.

I'm glad I never have to go over to that area.
The bunch that moved from LOVE Park, directly across to JFK Blvd, to the plaza areas around Penn Center seem to be gone.
Have they moved to 12th St. ?

Project Home just announced another affordable housing project, so, yes, maybe it's time to move more aggressively to get
them off of the street.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:26 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,456,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

Project Home just announced another affordable housing project, so, yes, maybe it's time to move more aggressively to get
them off of the street.
Yeah, but most of these people aren't capable of running a household.

Remember a couple of years ago when they gave the couple with the wandering kid a free house? It didn't end well.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:18 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Yeah, but most of these people aren't capable of running a household.
Sister Mary Scullion's insight was this: First, get them into a home. Then you can arrange for the services and programs they need to get them back to where they can run their own affairs. (Those services and programs are both harder to deliver and harder for the beneficiaries to stick with when they have no fixed address.)

It seems to have worked well for those who manage to get into a Project HOME residence.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:04 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,456,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Sister Mary Scullion's insight was this: First, get them into a home. Then you can arrange for the services and programs they need to get them back to where they can run their own affairs. (Those services and programs are both harder to deliver and harder for the beneficiaries to stick with when they have no fixed address.)

It seems to have worked well for those who manage to get into a Project HOME residence.
Has it worked well? People can tell you anything they want to further their agenda.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Has it worked well? People can tell you anything they want to further their agenda.
Boy, I thought I was pretty cynical?

The local homeless problem would be a lot huger if it wasn't for her and Project Home.

You are yakking about one block on one street in CC when Los Angeles has an entire part of their downtown that is skid row with thousands of people.

I want the local homeless problem " gone" just like everyone else but it's not so simple.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:25 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
I just walked up 12th last night from the Jefferson Station elevator across from Reading Terminal Market towing a roll-aboard. That's the last time I'll do that. If I were picking a convention venue, a walk down 12th underneath the Convention Center would scratch Philly off my list forever. What could the city possibly be thinking?

The EPA office across 17th from Comcast Center is another bum lair. I wanted to use the Citizens Bank ATMs on that corner a couple weeks ago and thought the better of it.

The homeless need to sleep somewhere. If it's 12th street, at least install toilets and close off the sidewalk entrances at Arch and Race so clueless tourons like me don't walk down there.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:52 PM

288 posts, read 244,615 times
5th St between Callowhill and Wood (under the 95 overpass) is another bum lair. My wife and I decided to walk home to Fishtown from the Chinese lantern festival in June and unfortunately came across this shady stretch. We had to walk in the street to avoid them. Pretty unfortunate.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_PHL_DEL View Post
5th St between Callowhill and Wood (under the 95 overpass) is another bum lair. My wife and I decided to walk home to Fishtown from the Chinese lantern festival in June and unfortunately came across this shady stretch. We had to walk in the street to avoid them. Pretty unfortunate.
Well, everything old is new again, apparently. Sigh. Franklin Sq was pretty much abandoned for years and was populated by bums. And Philly's actual skid row was located just west of it on Race St. next to Chinatown. All the buildings were torn down.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I just walked up 12th last night from the Jefferson Station elevator across from Reading Terminal Market towing a roll-aboard. That's the last time I'll do that. If I were picking a convention venue, a walk down 12th underneath the Convention Center would scratch Philly off my list forever. What could the city possibly be thinking?

The EPA office across 17th from Comcast Center is another bum lair. I wanted to use the Citizens Bank ATMs on that corner a couple weeks ago and thought the better of it.

The homeless need to sleep somewhere. If it's 12th street, at least install toilets and close off the sidewalk entrances at Arch and Race so clueless tourons like me don't walk down there.
So many seem to be mentally ill too a la the guy who stabbed the 7 Eleven clerk, at the store across from City Hill, a couple of days ago over cigarettes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia