Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 04:43 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times

Advertisements

Hello, I go to Philly all the time, but I'm not familiar with this area:

https://goo.gl/maps/djkoCZAKsQT2

I need to come up and do some photography of the new bridge so I will have a lot of expensive camera gear and we will also be flying a professional drone to get some low level aerials. The biggest problem with flying a drone is being bothered by people while flying it, but we won't be able to really pay attention to our surroundings while flying it so people could come up on us.

I think we will be doing it in the middle of the day, but I may need to get some dusk shots etc too.

It doesn't look too bad from street view, but it's also not the best area either is appears. Again, I'm used to working in areas like this, I'm just trying to know in advance what I may be dealing with and if I should take extra precautions.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 05:35 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,750,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Hello, I go to Philly all the time, but I'm not familiar with this area:

https://goo.gl/maps/djkoCZAKsQT2

I need to come up and do some photography of the new bridge so I will have a lot of expensive camera gear and we will also be flying a professional drone to get some low level aerials. The biggest problem with flying a drone is being bothered by people while flying it, but we won't be able to really pay attention to our surroundings while flying it so people could come up on us.

I think we will be doing it in the middle of the day, but I may need to get some dusk shots etc too.

It doesn't look too bad from street view, but it's also not the best area either is appears. Again, I'm used to working in areas like this, I'm just trying to know in advance what I may be dealing with and if I should take extra precautions.

Thanks.

It's not a bad area at all for the middle of the day but at night time that's a different story.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:30 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
It's not that bad-Mantua near the Zoo and close to where a lot of Drexel kids live. Always be aware of your surroundings, especially with equipment. I probably wouldn't do this at night.

At first I thought it was showing the bridges near Hope st/Cambria in Kensington/Fairhill-now that is a different story.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:33 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Yes, do take EXTRA precautions, and notify the police of you presents there prior to going. It is NOT a good area, so have a crew of men with you to protect you, and your equipment. If you can afford armed security, even better.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:38 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Yes, do take EXTRA precautions, and notify the police of you presents there prior to going. It is NOT a good area, so have a crew of men with you to protect you, and your equipment. If you can afford armed security, even better.
What is it like to be so fearful?

Old 09-04-2017, 11:44 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
I am being honest, and realistic. Look up the crime stats for that area.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:46 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,750,250 times
Quote:
That area is fine for mid-day.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:28 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:
"Being honest" is a curious thing to say. Are you are implying that the people who actually live here and go through these areas are some how "less honest" than you considering you don't live close to philly and don't come here often? Seems very honest of you lol. I'm sure if the OP has been shooting in other questionable areas, he will be okay and make the correct choice.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:57 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
I wonder the same thing. Why leave the house?

Old 09-04-2017, 08:21 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Thanks for the feedback.

It was not bad at all. Actually, everybody I ran into was very friendly. I'm generally open and friendly to the locals when I'm in areas like this and I don't act like I'm out of place (I am white for the record) and they are typically the same way back. I actually met some really good and genuine people. Yes, it's an impoverished area, but it's getting better and most people that live in areas like that don't want anything more to do with the gangs etc as anybody else. I actually enjoyed my visit.

However, I didn't go back after dark. I probably would have, but was not sure I needed to, so I drove back home and will return if needed. I honestly don't think I would have a problem at night, but I would definitely take some more precautions at night. Although that area is probably much safer than many of the stupid places I go like dark river levees across from New Orleans or St Louis. I worry more when there is nobody at all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia