Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2018, 01:44 PM

1,683 posts, read 946,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Philadelphia enlisting mega-consultant McKinsey in quest for Amazon HQ2

Philadelphia enlisting mega-consultant McKinsey in quest for Amazon HQ2

Very interesting development. Hiring a top consultant like McKinsey comes at a pretty penny, so this is a strong indicator that the city/local business leaders are taking this bid very, very seriously and, more importantly, believe Philly has an extremely good shot.

But again, even if this doesn't go Philly's way, I truly think the effort put forth has been stellar and unprecedented. That's been the goal of many all along--to make Philly much more economically competitive and its assets more globally known as the city was always meant to be.

In the long-run, Amazon or not, this strategy will absolutely lead to more success with many smaller victories that add up over time.
Agreed. And who knows? Maybe it spurns a massive influx of relocation of top companies without the huge price tag. Maybe it would turn out better than if AMZN came.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 02:54 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,672,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Agreed. And who knows? Maybe it spurns a massive influx of relocation of top companies without the huge price tag. Maybe it would turn out better than if AMZN came.
Let's start with trying to convince SAP or Vanguard to move into CC. Or the Susquehanna Group to cross City Ave and move into CC.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:02 PM

7,730 posts, read 5,449,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Let's start with trying to convince SAP or Vanguard to move into CC. Or the Susquehanna Group to cross City Ave and move into CC.
Obviously, our local leaders have been trying.

Vanguard has been putting a good number of job postings out for full stack developers at their innovation center at 23rd and Chestnut.

I wish SAP would move some jobs closer.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:05 PM

7,730 posts, read 5,449,648 times
At least them hiring a consultant means we have a chance! Lol.

I agree with others sentiments. We just need to keep doing what we are doing (improving tax revenue sources, improve the schools, rebuild public spaces, etc.) and hopefully Philly 3.0 can really take off.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:14 PM

34,118 posts, read 18,364,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Obviously, our local leaders have been trying.

Vanguard has been putting a good number of job postings out for full stack developers at their innovation center at 23rd and Chestnut.

I wish SAP would move some jobs closer.
SAP's US hq is in Delco at the old Arco campus.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:30 PM

13,956 posts, read 8,816,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Cities can only go so far with incentive offers. More depends on state legislatures. Pennsylvania & North Carolina are run by anti-urban Republicans who won't make generous offers. If Amazon really wants what they asked for, they'll pick Philadelphia. If they pick anywhere else, you know it's a scam to drive up incentives.
not necessarily. Lois Weiss' column on Bisnow, which I cited in my piece, references research that found the single strongest correlation with a corporate HQ relocation decision was with the location of the boss' home: in every single case, the HQ moved closer to it.

Bezos has bought a house in Washington. That bodes well for the three DC-area bids.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:46 AM

2,471 posts, read 3,998,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
not necessarily. Lois Weiss' column on Bisnow, which I cited in my piece, references research that found the single strongest correlation with a corporate HQ relocation decision was with the location of the boss' home: in every single case, the HQ moved closer to it.

Bezos has bought a house in Washington. That bodes well for the three DC-area bids.
Doesn't bode terribly for Philadelphia either.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:15 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,192,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Interesting stat. But there is a difference between a correlation v. cause and effect. If Philly has the goods to land HQ2, Bezos could afford to build a mansion on the Belmont Plateau.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:26 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,672,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
SAP's US hq is in Delco at the old Arco campus.
I know where it is. My point was to try and convince them to get out of Newtown Sq.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:59 AM

9,340 posts, read 9,204,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Interesting stat. But there is a difference between a correlation v. cause and effect. If Philly has the goods to land HQ2, Bezos could afford to build a mansion on the Belmont Plateau.
I think you would have a harder time selling Belmont Plateau over Gladwyne or Society Hill vs selling the city for HQ2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I know where it is. My point was to try and convince them to get out of Newtown Sq.
I think Vanguard is buckling down, because they are renovating/ expanding their suburban campus. I also don't see SAP moving operations to the city beyond a satellite office.

And instead of trying to lure suburban giants to the city we should be luring giants from New York, Boston, DC, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia