Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 09:59 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,672,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Correct. Take a look at this map for the township and you'll see that it encompasses Havertown, South Ardmore, Haverford, and Bryn Mawr. Haverford is more expensive housing-wise than the other three, but as long as you live within those boundaries, your children would go to Haverford Township schools.
How are you RE taxes nowadays? The OP, obviously, needs to know that. Taxes( the school tax portion) went up every single year on my Mom's house. I ended up paying them(she ended up in senior care) for quite some time afterward until the house was sold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 10:08 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,672,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boleyna73 View Post
Thank you for all those wonderful infos, flyergirl! Your support means a lot to me.

Looking at the different Haverford sections I truly got confused with Haverford Township and Havertown. In another thread on the forum I read something about "other side of the track" in Havertown. Do you know what that means?
I will check out the link with the parks (thank you again!) and it's fine that not everything is within walking distance - it's not like we have one within walking distance here. What I wanted to know was just what's there to do for the kiddos/ budding Preteens.

In regards to taking the train we where thinking about the Ardmore station. Most areas one would have to drive to the train station anyways. I'm truly biased now towards Haverford, lol.
People who live here find it confusing too. Havertown (zipcode 19083) is completely within Haverford Twp. Haverford(zipcode 19041) is split between two townships: Lower Merion and Haverford.

The "other side of the tracks" stuff is classist nonsense and it comes from the fact that Haverford(19041) is part of the storied/mostly upper class Main Line. Havertown(19083) is not part of the Main Line. It's a solid middle class community. There is nothing low class about it.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:53 AM

43 posts, read 46,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
People who live here find it confusing too. Havertown (zipcode 19083) is completely within Haverford Twp. Haverford(zipcode 19041) is split between two townships: Lower Merion and Haverford.

The "other side of the tracks" stuff is classist nonsense and it comes from the fact that Haverford(19041) is part of the storied/mostly upper class Main Line. Havertown(19083) is not part of the Main Line. It's a solid middle class community. There is nothing low class about it.
Thanks for the help with the ZIP codes - that will help a lot while house hunting. : )

Old 09-29-2017, 12:07 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,158,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
How are you RE taxes nowadays? The OP, obviously, needs to know that. Taxes( the school tax portion) went up every single year on my Mom's house. I ended up paying them(she ended up in senior care) for quite some time afterward until the house was sold.

I'm probably not a good person to ask, because my last house was in Upper Darby Township and I was paying almost $6,000/year for 1,100 sf of house. So my taxes now don't bother me as much (about $5,000 for 1,400 sf). I know others, especially those who own in the city or in Marple Township (Broomall, etc.) would balk at that.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boleyna73 View Post
Thanks for the help with the ZIP codes - that will help a lot while house hunting. : )

There is a VERY SMALL area of Upper Darby Township that is Havertown with the zip code 19083 (I know, because it's where my last house was located). It's only a few streets on the other side of Route 1, though, so you should be able to easily avoid that. The UD taxes are INSANE!

Old 10-03-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
There is a VERY SMALL area of Upper Darby Township that is Havertown with the zip code 19083 (I know, because it's where my last house was located). It's only a few streets on the other side of Route 1, though, so you should be able to easily avoid that. The UD taxes are INSANE!
Phew - thank you for the head's up!!

Old 10-07-2017, 07:46 PM

3 posts, read 2,771 times
Hey! If you still are interested in looking, I highly recommend the town of Ardmore about 20 minutes west of Philly! It is really nice, and has all of the amenities you are looking for, based on your search.

Ardmore is nicer than Havertown and has great Lower Merion schools (on the northside), which are some of the best in the state, and the country!

Old 10-09-2017, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elipisk123 View Post
Hey! If you still are interested in looking, I highly recommend the town of Ardmore about 20 minutes west of Philly! It is really nice, and has all of the amenities you are looking for, based on your search.

Ardmore is nicer than Havertown and has great Lower Merion schools (on the northside), which are some of the best in the state, and the country!

Yes, we are still looking and I appreciate the info in regards to Ardmore. I will definitly look into it more. The only thing I had noticed about the Lower Merion (which could be a problem for us) are some of the housing prices. Is there a certain part of Ardmore to secifically look at?

Thank you for the suggestion! : )

Old 10-09-2017, 08:15 AM

711 posts, read 1,506,795 times
Flourtown sounds like an area that you may be interested in. It is also in the Springfield School district.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elipisk123 View Post

"Nicer" is a relative term. Being that I live in Havertown, I obviously disagree. It all depends on what the OP is looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia