Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 06:51 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times

Advertisements

Lots of people have left PR but has there been any uptick in any coming here? OP, if you are still around, do you have any idea what's going on in Philly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 07:37 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Lots of people have left PR but has there been any uptick in any coming here? OP, if you are still around, do you have any idea what's going on in Philly?
Several posts on Next Door. I also see community outreach coming from multiple community associations speaking to PRs from Maria specifically. Not sure of how many have or will migrate here, but neighborhoods are aware at the least.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:36 AM

368 posts, read 453,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Well there is an expected uptick compared to pre-Maria, but nothing too drastic so far (atleast not in my opinion), an increase of acouple thousand new PR migrants since the hurricane. Maybe slightly more than NYC, Boston, Chicago, Atlanta, Cleveland, Houston, Tampa. But it seems like Orlando and Miami are getting the largest share. Probably due to the island STILL being in crisis and desparation (I would of thought by now things would be atleast semi-normal, but its still far from normal in PR, it seems like a worse Katrina with a longer aftermath). The airport is still barely functioning, Orlando and Miami are getting the majority of the few flights occuring, largely based on mere proximity to the island. But I think that about half that go to Florida will eventually end up in other US states, states with family &friends present/large PR populations, decent economy, and low cost of living (one of those being PA). And once the island has a better working airport with larger numbers of flights going to other cities, Philly will feel it a more. Just wait a little til Puerto Rico reaches semi-normalcy and the airports become fully functional.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
Well there is an expected uptick compared to pre-Maria, but nothing too drastic so far (atleast not in my opinion), an increase of acouple thousand new PR migrants since the hurricane. Maybe slightly more than NYC, Boston, Chicago, Atlanta, Cleveland, Houston, Tampa. But it seems like Orlando and Miami are getting the largest share. Probably due to the island STILL being in crisis and desparation (I would of thought by now things would be atleast semi-normal, but its still far from normal in PR, it seems like a worse Katrina with a longer aftermath). The airport is still barely functioning, Orlando and Miami are getting the majority of the few flights occuring, largely based on mere proximity to the island. But I think that about half that go to Florida will eventually end up in other US states, states with family &friends present/large PR populations, decent economy, and low cost of living (one of those being PA). And once the island has a better working airport with larger numbers of flights going to other cities, Philly will feel it a more. Just wait a little til Puerto Rico reaches semi-normalcy and the airports become fully functional.
Our lying president gives himself(Christ what an a-hole!,) a 10 on the "progress" there. Sigh. An msnbc report I saw said 60,000 have left mostly to FL. Thx for the update. I've lived in Spring Garden since 1995 when there were still lots of PRs and the old Spanish church, at 18th and Spring Garden, was active. I miss them, tbh! The church closed a few years ago.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:24 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
They are also coming to CLT.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
More than 500 people from Puerto Rico have signed up for help at a North Philadelphia disaster relief center since Hurricane Maria made landfall on the island Sept. 20.
As Puerto Ricans flock to Philly, a Katrina transplant remembers

Old 10-30-2017, 03:47 PM

Okay...maybe the OP will be quite right about this.

Part of my family was displaced by Katrina. We tried to get them to come here to Philly but they wouldn't. They went to Houston. They moved back to NOLA a few years ago.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:25 PM

Another article:

Quote:
The community has grown steadily and will only grow faster now, with one study estimating Pennsylvania could see as many as 27,000 Puerto Rican migrants in the first year after Hurricane Maria, second behind only Florida.
Puerto Rico after Maria: Arriving in San Juan

Old 10-31-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
What I find interesting about this is the national media only talks about PR migration, post Maria, to FL or TX. Never seen a single word about PA.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:11 AM

Saw a headline on philly.com today that PRs are coming here. So, just saying....the OP may end up being accurate about out-migration from PR to Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia