Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 10:51 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,349,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by briantroutman View Post
Back to the original question... (Coatesville)

I hesitate to reply since I’m nowhere near an expert on that area, but seeing how you haven’t gotten any relevant responses, I’ll at least share what I know. I once lived in Caln Township, which fills the space between Coatesville and Downingtown.

Coatesville was once a mill town with about 10,000 people employed at steel plant there. The plant is still in operation but employs less than a tenth of what it once did. And I find the city of Coatesville itself reminiscent of many other depressed, deindustrialized towns—empty storefronts, shabby buildings, and not-so-well-kept homes. When I lived nearby, I made an effort to visit from time to time, but I found little reason to come back, and I usually left feeling rather discouraged.

As with most Pennsylvania towns, the Coatesville ZIP code encompasses a much larger area than the municipality itself. In the past few decades, the countryside around Coatesville has seen a fair amount of new construction as one of the last frontiers for people looking to buy/build new homes, but I believe all of these would be well above the price threshold you listed. Even the postwar homes (typical split levels and the like) that are closer to town seem to sell for more than your target price (up to 200K or more). You could certainly have a pick of older homes in town for less than your maximum, but to find one that was attractive and well-kept in a well-kept neighborhood would probably be an uphill battle.

I’m sorry I couldn’t give you a more optimistic outlook. Good luck to you in your search
!
Thanks. Was looking for the truth, so I appreciate that. Lived in Kennett for 5 years until my financial situation went bust, and I had to move. Miss Chester County TERRIBLY!!!! and although the Kennett I remembered as a child has been taken over by yuppies in Saabs , I could still take the Subaru and "head for the hills" in under 5 minutes which was such a JOY to me. Now I'm in Brookhaven with wall-to-wall traffic, cops and sirens everywhere, planes right above my head - or so it seems, compared to Kennett. Have to get out of here - SOMEHOW - before I lose my sanity.

Friends kept telling me I would "settle in." Not happening. I'll keep searching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 11:00 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,569,634 times
I live in Chester County, and have for many years. I am originally from Delco, but would never move back there so I hear you about wanting to get out. I live in the northern/central part of Chester County so Coatesville is not super close to me. I would not want to live there, though as I have seen enough of it to know it isn't the best place by a long shot. Downingtown, and Phoenixville are much better.

Old 10-01-2017, 02:09 PM

273 posts, read 317,808 times
^ I don’t think there’s any shortage of nicer towns. The stumbling block is—in my estimation—finding reasonably nice areas where a single family home with a yard and a little breathing room can be purchased for $150,000 in greater Philadelphia.

Ironically, if given the challenge of finding a suburban home in that range, one of the first areas I’d think to look would be in the more affordably priced but reasonably decent parts of Delaware County...like Brookhaven. But that having been tried, I’m not sure what other areas I’d suggest.

In any event, even if you don’t stumble upon an oasis with many homes in your target price range, perhaps if you’re very persistent, you might come across something undervalued. I’m envisioning some kind of an “odd house at the end of the street” that would allow you to be in a more desirable location, albeit with some compromises, at a more livable price.

But that’s just a thought from a neophyte—well-intentioned if not particularly insightful. Perhaps someone more experienced with Chester County real estate could chime in.

Last edited by briantroutman; 10-01-2017 at 02:45 PM..

Old 10-02-2017, 05:13 AM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Thanks. It seems that more often than not, people kill someone they know. Drugs and guns were mentioned. It was probably about money. Back in the good old days, your loan shark would just break a couple of bones and threaten to kill your wife and children. They wanted their money.

Soulsurv, don't move to Coatesville. I've only been on the ground there once, and it was gritty and unpleasant. You don't want to live there.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:59 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,329,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Is it? There was just a murder right in the center of town the other day.
There was a murder in Radnor a few years ago, does that make it bad too? Phoenixville isn't as clean-cut as West Chester or Media, but it's definitely on the upswing, and certainly not a dangerous area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Thanks. Was looking for the truth, so I appreciate that. Lived in Kennett for 5 years until my financial situation went bust, and I had to move. Miss Chester County TERRIBLY!!!! and although the Kennett I remembered as a child has been taken over by yuppies in Saabs , I could still take the Subaru and "head for the hills" in under 5 minutes which was such a JOY to me. Now I'm in Brookhaven with wall-to-wall traffic, cops and sirens everywhere, planes right above my head - or so it seems, compared to Kennett. Have to get out of here - SOMEHOW - before I lose my sanity.

Friends kept telling me I would "settle in." Not happening. I'll keep searching.
Is Oxford/ Octorara too far out? I see you come on from time to time looking for suggestions for places to move, sad Brookhaven didn't work out, the area is very congested, but the new shopping centers have at least made Edgemont Ave look a little nicer.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:31 AM

65 posts, read 38,252 times
Moved from Delco to West Chester 25 years ago and won't look back. I love it here. But, finding anything in the $150K price range will be quite challenging even in a decent neighborhood. You may find a row home in C-ville or somewhere further out in Oxford which is another 15-20 mins from Kennett, but, even Oxford is starting to become attractive to many since you can get a lot for the buck, but, housing has been increasing in that area also.

I'm familiar with Brookhaven since I visit often to see a family member. It's terribly congested so I understand why you want out. My best suggestion is to constantly check Realtor.com and enter your specifics and see what comes up. Or, contact a local realtor who can do the leg work for you.

The other option would be to find a nice apartment and rent, but, that may not be anywhere in your vision.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:33 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,679,690 times
Maybe Parkesburg or up toward Lancaster may be worth considering. I think there are cheaper places up in this notch that is not quite Coatesville.

I have an acquaintance who used to live in Coatesville, and she told me her family would always get robbed during the holidays, and they would just let robbers come in and take whatever they wanted and then let them leave. Then they would continue the holidays like normal. She also told me at least one, maybe a few stories of arson on her place.

They would've continued to live there, except the couple got separated. I'm not sure if the husband still lives there or not.

So, if you don't mind stuff like that possibly, then living in Coatesville or maybe even Chester would be okay.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:26 AM

70 posts, read 59,502 times
Is Montco out of the question OP?

Old 10-04-2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
There was a murder in Radnor a few years ago, does that make it bad too? Phoenixville isn't as clean-cut as West Chester or Media, but it's definitely on the upswing, and certainly not a dangerous area.

Is Oxford/ Octorara too far out? I see you come on from time to time looking for suggestions for places to move, sad Brookhaven didn't work out, the area is very congested, but the new shopping centers have at least made Edgemont Ave look a little nicer.
Hi cpomp!!! I guess you win the Aston/Brookhaven argument . Nah, Aston is just as bad in terms of congestion, but yeah...I'm always looking. GREATLY miss Kennett, but could no longer afford it. See...I'll always need a "single" because I have large dogs and 55+ communities are out (also too expensive and my Dobie is on the dreaded "RESTRICTED List" (OOOOOH, SOOOO FRIGHTENING)

Anyway, no Oxford isn't too far out, but they're taxes are climbing as are their property values. Also looking at DE - and friends are telling me to go South, but additional humidity is a no-no. So, granted: a pretty picky broad here for the little money I can spend. GREAT TO "SEE" YOU AGAIN!

Old 10-04-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazzy1228 View Post
Is Montco out of the question OP?
Not really an area that appeals to me much, as least in the Plymouth Meeting, Ambler areas. I could give it another look. Thanks for the suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia