U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:43 AM

6,045 posts, read 2,945,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
Real estate prices in general are going crazy again almost everywhere. It makes me think there is another bubble coming.
Kinda like the people who look at the current state of the economy as a whole and have this feeling there's another recession coming.

There is one difference between right now and 2007, to pick a year at random (not really): The bankers still aren't handing out mortgages like candy, so the foundation of this market is probably more solid.

But I too wonder how long this can go on, for there are signs of strain on a number of fronts, affordability being the biggest one.

FTR: Fairmount Avenue is Francisville's southern border. South of it, you're in Spring Garden.

Another data point FWIW: 10 or 15 years ago, I think most Philadelphians couldn't point out Francisville on a map. Now many more can. (It helps that many of the streets in that neighborhood form a grid that aligns with Ridge Avenue rather than the city grid.) kyb01 gave you good advice, but on the whole, the neighborhood is probably safer now than parts of it look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM

331 posts, read 94,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
Real estate prices in general are going crazy again almost everywhere. It makes me think there is another bubble coming.
I think the tight supply has a lot to do with it.

Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM

1,126 posts, read 796,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
How has your experience been there? Thinking of moving into that neighborhood (with dogs too). Thanks!
I moved to Francisville from Cedar Park (West Philly) last July. I absolutely love the neighborhood! Fairmount Avenue is very lively, a healthy portion of the housing stock is new and affordable (at least for me), Ridge Avenue is teeming with new construction, and I think that it’s a great place to live overall. I live in the northeastern section of the neighborhood, near Broad and Girard. While my section of the neighborhood is a little less lively (only due to the lots that haven’t been filled in on 15th Street, along with the auto-centric pieces of garbage that sit atop prime developable lots at Broad and Girard), I’ve never had an issue. My girlfriend also hasn’t, which makes me feel great!

Speaking of her, my girlfriend and I will be moving in together this summer. Francisville is our top neighborhood (probably closer to Fairmount or Ridge this time), along with Spruce Hill and Cedar Park in West Philly. Depending on how the search goes, we may be around the neighborhood for the foreseeable future!

Old Today, 08:49 AM

53 posts, read 18,041 times
Francisville is completely safe. I lived on 17th and Thompson on and off in between school at ccp/KU. the neighborhood has made tremendous strides. I have seen first hand the change and a lot of characters and shady blocks disappear. You will be fine and that is one of the best locations t live within in the city in imo.

Old Today, 10:40 AM

526 posts, read 242,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von7philly View Post
Francisville is completely safe. I lived on 17th and Thompson on and off in between school at ccp/KU. the neighborhood has made tremendous strides. I have seen first hand the change and a lot of characters and shady blocks disappear. You will be fine and that is one of the best locations t live within in the city in imo.
"Completely safe" is an overstatement when you're talking about a major city. There was that community activist guy who was gunned down randomly right around Francisville/Spring Garden a couple years ago, but I agree in general, Francisville is a nice neighborhood and not a relatively dangerous place to live in Philadelphia.

Old Today, 11:15 AM

53 posts, read 18,041 times
Obviously there is crime, its a city. If you worry about crime in a place like Francisville in 2020, imo the city isn't for you.

Old Today, 12:14 PM

1,126 posts, read 796,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von7philly View Post
Obviously there is crime, its a city. If you worry about crime in a place like Francisville in 2020, imo the city isn't for you.
This is even true for the southern parts of Cecil B. Moore/Templetown. The section of the neighborhood between Broad, Ridge, Master, and Girard is filling up with new construction that seems not to be geared towards Temple students, especially west of 17th Street. There used to be absolutely nothing on the 1800 blocks of Ingersoll and Seybert Streets as recently as 2017. I was there a few months ago and both streets are nearly full of new construction condos. There isn’t too much of a difference between living in Francisville and the southern end of Cecil B. Moore anymore, aside from retail options due to the distance from Fairmount Avenue; however, this will chance once all the new commercial spots along Ridge Avenue begin to fill in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia