Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 07:46 PM

3 posts, read 3,158 times

Advertisements

I'm evaluating a new job offer and hoping to get some information to help me decide whether to accept/decline or try to negotiate a bit. I like the new job by itself, but I may have to reject it if I can't find a place to live where I can maintain similar lifestyle at similar costs.

Current: 125k base+15k bonus in Boston suburb. $1650 550 sqft studio with assigned parking and doorman in bit old but well maintained elevator building (condo). 25 min drive or 40 min walk/train to work and downtown Boston. Lot of (Korean) food option nearby and very safe to walk around even at 2 am

New job: 130k base+0k bonus (one time 10k signing). Safety is big concern but want to be not too far away from work and restaurants.

New salary could be better with COL adjustment if I live near work but maybe not so much if I try to meet all criteria. If there is an option but it's over my budget, I can try to negotiate my salary. I've looked at these places so far and would like to learn more about areas closer to Philly, perhaps apartment name as well:

Concord Mall area, DE: close to work, restaurants, couple of luxury apartments but terrible ratings/complaints
Media, PA: Ok commute (30min?), restaurants nearby, 20 min drive to Korean restaurants, few nice apartments around/over my budget - Wish it's cheaper without SEPTA proximity
Claymont, DE: Cheap apartments, close to work, safety concerns, not a lot of restaurant options.

Thank you in advance, and please ask any clarifying questions you have.

1. When are you moving?
Might start looking for a place next week and move in by end of Jan to mid-Feb.

2. Where are you coming from?
Brookline, MA. Close suburb of Boston.

3. Why are you moving?
Job

4. Where will you be working?
Near 400 Bellevue Pkwy, Wilmington, DE 19809. No SEPTA access. Few minute drive to north of Wilmington.

5. Have you been here yet?
Interned in Downtown Wilmington before. Not familiar with Philly.

6. Will you buy or rent?
Rent

7. If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Apartment(studio to one bed), 1700 including parking - can go higher if I negotiate the salary

8. Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?
Hi-rise but not necessary in suburb

9. Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb?
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-philadelphia/)
No preference

10. Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Single, no children

11. Do you have pets?
No

12. Do you want or need a yard?
No

13. Are you keeping a car?
Yes, and I need parking and need a car to commute

14. Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
No strong preference

15. What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)

16. Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
No preference as long as it's safe neighborhood

17. Favorite Beverage - Craft Beer, wine, water?
Craft beer all the way

Last edited by anemoneya; 01-06-2020 at 07:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 10:26 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,183,622 times
Perhaps West Chester, PA, but you would definitely want to find back ways to work as Route 202 can often be as soul-crushing at the Schuylkill Expressway. Have you posted your questions in the Delaware forum too?

Old 01-07-2020, 01:17 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
I was also thinking West Chester. Agree that you would want backroads to work, but all in all it's very very doable time wise /distancewise and although it's not Philly , I think it gives everything else you want. Housing wise you will be thrilled. West Chester, Kennett Square, the surrounding areas.

Old 01-07-2020, 04:11 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,553,691 times
I think 202 into Delaware is much better than getting stuck on I-476 (or the dreaded I-76). That said, OP can try out the apartments on route 92 which are mostly Edgemoor surburbs while they figure out their tolerance for traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Perhaps West Chester, PA, but you would definitely want to find back ways to work as Route 202 can often be as soul-crushing at the Schuylkill Expressway. Have you posted your questions in the Delaware forum too?

Old 01-08-2020, 07:37 AM

409 posts, read 370,328 times
It depends on what kind of a "scene" you're looking for. Do you want to be able to walk to bars/restaurants? Is driving/ubering to places like that OK? Do you want to be around twenty-somethings or middle aged people and families?

Here are the first thoughts that comes to mind:
  • West Chester (PA) - Half college town, half well-off suburb. Cute town with a decent bar/restaurant scene. You would need to commute to/from work via Route 202, which gets lots of traffic during rush hour (for the same reason, I would avoid living along 202). Traffic aside, it's a cool enough town that it's still worth recommending.
  • Kennett Square (PA) - Smaller scale version of West Chester without the college or the county courthouse. Not as many twentysomethings or apartments either. Commute would be a half-hour, mostly along Route 52 which is beautiful.
  • Trolley Square (Wilmington, DE) - Its bars are popular with University of Delaware students and recent grads, but also has amenities that are more geared to middle-aged people. I consider it to be the trendiest part of Wilmington (that's not saying much, though).
  • Wilmington Riverfront (Wilmington, DE) - It's all somewhat new but feels astroturfed. It wants to be trendy and it is to some regard, especially when it's nice out. Would be able to walk to minor league baseball games.
  • Christiana Mall's surrounding area (DE) - Very "suburban sprawly"; not walkable and most restaurants are chains (it does have trendy cutting-edge chains though), but it is practical and a good value.
  • Newark (DE) - Primarily a college town (where University of Delaware is located), but it also attracts a snotty middle aged crowd.

As a general rule of thumb, the nicer parts in PA are more expensive than the nicer parts of Delaware. This is primarily because PA public schools are better, which draws families there. If you don't have kids, I consider Delaware to be a better value.

Last edited by Patmcpsu; 01-08-2020 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: Clarified what is in PA and what is in DE. Added Kennett Square.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:37 AM

29 posts, read 18,682 times
Trolley Square, Wilmington
Media
West Chester

There are a few Korean places around Wilmington. The big Korean enclave is in Montgomery County (north of Philadelphia,) and also across the river in Jersey.

Philadelphia is the most Korean option, but would give you a 30 minute commute to North Wilmington.

Parking is a nightmare in Philadelphia, so fair warning. Lots of towing, and tickets, if you find a spot.
City of Wilmington is easy for parking. They ticket but don't generally tow.

Old 01-10-2020, 01:40 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Look at the places that are already mentioned. Include looking around Salem and Logan in South Jersey. If you find a place in South Jersey you'll do most shopping in Delaware and around the Deptford Mall. Going up to the Cherry Hill area gets you H-Mart and some Korean restaurants.

Old 01-25-2020, 04:02 PM

40 posts, read 67,737 times
I am also hoping to move to Wilmington in the near future for family. The Riverfront area has some new building going on and a nice walkway, it seems. There is a Planet Fitness there, too. I would be using the gym at different hours and am hoping I won’t feel unsafe leaving the gym in the evening. What do you think?

Old 01-26-2020, 07:49 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,179,553 times
Moving to the Wilmington area or the Philly burbs will be a letdown after living in Brookline. Stay where you are.

Old 01-26-2020, 03:37 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wells5 View Post
moving to the wilmington area or the philly burbs closer to wilimington will be a letdown after living in brookline. Stay where you are.

ftfy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia