U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2017, 10:13 AM

5 posts, read 3,368 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I just signed a lease in the Francisville/Fairmont section near 16th and Swain. Does anyone have any info on the area (we are moving from Indiana, but from North NJ and Baltimore). How safe is the area? Where is a good close park to walk my dog? Would walking at night or early morning in the dark be not a good idea alone?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 12:00 PM

1,480 posts, read 1,368,852 times
If you were south of Fairmount or at Fairmount, I'd say you probably should be okay. North of Fairmount tends to look (slightly) sketchy to me in that section.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
If you were south of Fairmount or at Fairmount, I'd say you probably should be okay. North of Fairmount tends to look (slightly) sketchy to me in that section.

It is about 1-2 blocks north of Fairmont-I realized anything past that still looks a little run down. But I do have a dog who is not yet accustomed to a city- so I am concered about walking him during hours of darkenss either 6 am or after 7 pm since I am female. Thoughts? Any suggsestions would be greatly appreacited.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:08 PM

690 posts, read 2,761,741 times
I don't think you will have a problem there. There has been a decent amount of new construction in the area and some good places opening up on Fairmount Ave. The further west you go, the nicer it gets. I just wouldn't venture too far North or East from 16th & Swain.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:04 AM

10,158 posts, read 5,833,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitz13 View Post
It is about 1-2 blocks north of Fairmont-I realized anything past that still looks a little run down. But I do have a dog who is not yet accustomed to a city- so I am concered about walking him during hours of darkenss either 6 am or after 7 pm since I am female. Thoughts? Any suggsestions would be greatly appreacited.
It's an evolving gentrifying area. Just west of there old houses are being torn down and new ones are replacing them north of Fairmount Ave.

Do exactly what I already told to do. Walk your dog west on Fairmount and take in the vibe there. People. Children. Dogs. Stores. Restaurants. Bars. Plenty of people will be out since it seem like warmer weather is sticking around.

I'm female. I'm cautious but not a scardy cat person.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:17 AM

Ok, thanks. Just will be new to the area and am trying to find out as much as possible. thanks for your input it is appreciated.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 608 times
Default How's it been?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitz13 View Post
My fiance and I just signed a lease in the Francisville/Fairmont section near 16th and Swain. Does anyone have any info on the area (we are moving from Indiana, but from North NJ and Baltimore). How safe is the area? Where is a good close park to walk my dog? Would walking at night or early morning in the dark be not a good idea alone?
Curious how this has been for you. I'm strongly considering signing a lease at 16th and Brown.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:29 AM

10,158 posts, read 5,833,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilligan13 View Post
Curious how this has been for you. I'm strongly considering signing a lease at 16th and Brown.
Go for it while you can still afford it.

I just read about a redone house in Francisville that's on the Market for $500,000 in Curbed Philly. That's something that would have been hard to believe for that neighborhood a few years ago.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:14 AM

526 posts, read 242,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Go for it while you can still afford it.

I just read about a redone house in Francisville that's on the Market for $500,000 in Curbed Philly. That's something that would have been hard to believe for that neighborhood a few years ago.
Real estate prices in general are going crazy again almost everywhere. It makes me think there is another bubble coming.

Old Yesterday, 03:05 AM

1,934 posts, read 3,480,388 times
How has your experience been there? Thinking of moving into that neighborhood (with dogs too). Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia