Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 02:31 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,625,719 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with the Trolley Stop restaurant in Skippack? Supposedly it is/was a restaurant made out of an old reading trolley car. Is it still there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 09:58 PM

Nobody ? ?

Old 03-19-2008, 11:40 AM

One last try

Old 03-19-2008, 12:30 PM

41,727 posts, read 74,665,297 times
Unless it's hidden away behind another building, I don't think it's there. I've never heard of it, and I don't recall seeing it on my recent trips through the village.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:10 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,062,103 times
I think it's closed. It may have been on the site of the newly opened Bella Rossa.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:32 PM

Anybody know what became of the trolley then?

Old 03-20-2008, 12:11 AM

2 posts, read 12,189 times
I don't believe that the Tolley Stop is in operation, any more, in Skippack, PA. For the past 40 years, the actual restaurant was NOT a full or sectional fabrication of a Trolley, that would have been with the PTC (Phila. Transit Comm.). Infact no trolley was connected with Reading Railroad, but associated with PTC or SEPTA.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackInFla1591 View Post
I don't believe that the Tolley Stop is in operation, any more, in Skippack, PA. For the past 40 years, the actual restaurant was NOT a full or sectional fabrication of a Trolley, that would have been with the PTC (Phila. Transit Comm.). Infact no trolley was connected with Reading Railroad, but associated with PTC or SEPTA.
Here's what I'm going off of:

This Birney car, located along Route 73 in Skippack, is painted for the Reading Transit Company. This was the company that controlled the Schuylkill Valley Transit system, and this trolley may have operated in Norristown. The small Birneys were popular with marginal systems, as they were easily operated by one man (without a conductor) and because their light weight saved power. As an aside, there was a trolley through Skippack, but this car was not part of that independent transit line. Called the Montgomery County Rapid Transit Company, its "wogglebugs" connected Harleysville and Trooper until 1925.
October 1996 photo by Mike Szilagyi

Old 04-20-2008, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 9,962 times
Default Trolley Stop in Skippack,Pa

The old Trolley Stop Restaurant was closed for years but recently opened about a year ago in Skippack as Hotel Fiesole with room accomodations , bars (cigar),and restaurants. It is newly built and the trolley was incorporated into the building, so still there. Have not been there yet (have a gift card to use) but understand it is pricey. No reviews on food. Address is 4046 Skippack Pike, P.O.Box1149,Skippack,Pa, 19474 Phone 610-222-8009. I'm sure they have a website or Goggle it. MJ

Old 06-01-2017, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,408 times
I grew up in Skippack. The Trolley Stop was originally owned by Jake and Dell (Idella) Beyer. There home was in the back part of the restaurant, and the bar and the restaurant were in the front. My parents were good friends of Jake and Dell. Jake was a kind-hearted man, and Dell was very kind as well. My mother always considered her a dear friend. When my parents visited them, Jake would serve me "Shirley Temple's" which was ginger ale with a cherry, and serve me cheese curls, but only with my Mother's permission first. YUM! Dell cooked in her kitchen which connected to the restaurant (These were the good ole days!). It was called the Trolley Stop because the Trolley used to run right to there (that was before my time--it was no longer in circulation when I visited the Trolley Stop as a iittle girl). My father's either grandfather or great uncle lived next door to the Trolley Stop, as I am told, which is now an antique shop. Both buildings backed up to the creek. UP the road a bit was the Hardware Store which is now a restaurant. I always enjoyed going in to the Hardware store because there was so much stuff to explore and look at. Every winter as a little girl, my mother would take me to see "Santa Claus" at the hardware store. Many kids went there to see Santa and we would get our picture taken. One year when I was just a little older but still small, I realized that Santa's eyes looked exactly like the man's at the Butcher Shop down the street on the other end of town! Yup! My Mom confirmed that my guess was correct! Santa was really "the meat man"! Side note: I do know that Jake and Dell are buried at the Skippack United Church of Christ Cemetery, as are my family ancestor's who had lived next door, and my parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia