Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 03:31 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
No, I told him too.

Anyhow he'll find out soon enough.
He'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 03:53 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
So, native Philadelphians are lining up to spend big bucks near a development with low-income housing? I don't think so.
Most of the people at that HEC meeting weren't transplants. Some were from outside the city, but even most of them had grown up somewhere near here.

Now, I will grant that this makes them not "native Philadelphians." But they are probably more familiar with the city than you are giving them credit for.

Most of the born-and-raised-here people in attendance lived there when the towers were in place, which means they're already of more modest means than the more recent arrivals. Don't get me started on the virtues of income diversity. We're working on that very subject in Germantown too.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Don't kid yourself.

BTW, y'all need to get off the "At least we're not Chicago!" Like it makes our mess OK.
It doesn't.

But you were saying it's worse when it isn't. You can get called on that legitimately.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
It doesn't.

But you were saying it's worse when it isn't. You can get called on that legitimately.
The hard-core ghettos/barrios are all bad, 'worse' is a matter of opinion. You never heard "Kensington and Somerset is the worst drug area in the country"?

Old 11-19-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Most of the people at that HEC meeting weren't transplants. Some were from outside the city, but even most of them had grown up somewhere near here.

Now, I will grant that this makes them not "native Philadelphians." But they are probably more familiar with the city than you are giving them credit for.

Most of the born-and-raised-here people in attendance lived there when the towers were in place, which means they're already of more modest means than the more recent arrivals. Don't get me started on the virtues of income diversity. We're working on that very subject in Germantown too.
You'd have to be a damn fool then to pay that kind of money to live near low-income. Or have a mental disorder.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
The hard-core ghettos/barrios are all bad, 'worse' is a matter of opinion. You never heard "Kensington and Somerset is the worst drug area in the country"?
Yes, I have.

But I've gotten off the El there on three separate occasions recently, and I can tell you that it's not as awful as it was when I got off there to WALK to Tacconelli's a decade ago.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
You'd have to be a damn fool then to pay that kind of money to live near low-income. Or have a mental disorder.
And that's where I part company with you.

I don't consider that a sign of mental illness. Courage maybe, disease no.

I also don't think the agents selling the homes, or the builders building them, disordered. I know several of them, and a few buyers. They all strike me as very well adjusted.

Edited to add: Actually, I can think of an example of what I mean from about 25 years ago: a middle-aged gay white male and his partner, both colleagues of my ex at CCP, who bought a house in a rather nondescript block of newish row homes then known as "Fort Bainbridge." It was located on the site of the old Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Most of the older row houses across the street from their home were in various states of disrepair and decay, and I don't think I need to tell you about the safety of the area, or its reputation for same.

I'm sure you know how well that area's doing now. The ball has to start rolling somewhere.

Remember my position on fear. I live it. Granted, I live where I do because the rent's cheap, but if I could afford better, I'd still look in Germantown first now.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
And that's where I part company with you.

I don't consider that a sign of mental illness. Courage maybe, disease no.

I also don't think the agents selling the homes, or the builders building them, disordered. I know several of them, and a few buyers. They all strike me as very well adjusted.

Edited to add: Actually, I can think of an example of what I mean from about 25 years ago: a middle-aged gay white male and his partner, both colleagues of my ex at CCP, who bought a house in a rather nondescript block of newish row homes then known as "Fort Bainbridge." It was located on the site of the old Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Most of the older row houses across the street from their home were in various states of disrepair and decay, and I don't think I need to tell you about the safety of the area, or its reputation for same.

I'm sure you know how well that area's doing now. The ball has to start rolling somewhere.

Remember my position on fear. I live it. Granted, I live where I do because the rent's cheap, but if I could afford better, I'd still look in Germantown first now.
I do. I'd rather not have to worry about it.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Yes, I have.

But I've gotten off the El there on three separate occasions recently, and I can tell you that it's not as awful as it was when I got off there to WALK to Tacconelli's a decade ago.
Walk west ... You know we're talking about overall quality of life and not just murders, right?

BTW, take that walk now and you'll see it isn't any better. There's a ton of cops hanging around the El stop, but the neighborhood is still crap.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
God bless them all! I'd rather not have to worry about it.
Which is perfectly all right by me. I'd just ask that you not deem them crazy for either not worrying about it, stats be damned, or being willing to take their chances on the future rather than dwell in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia