U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 07:26 PM

1,377 posts, read 875,788 times

Advertisements

From the little I've read about Rizzo, he was a divisive character and his statue should never have been installed in the city. Good riddance!

Rizzo statue to go, Kenney administration says
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 08:08 PM

26,666 posts, read 11,793,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
From the little I've read about Rizzo, he was a divisive character and his statue should never have been installed in the city. Good riddance!

At least you admit your ignorance.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:59 PM

1,377 posts, read 875,788 times
Enlighten me of his virtues and good works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post

Old 11-03-2017, 09:37 PM

2,194 posts, read 6,905,424 times
Quote:
Enlighten me of his virtues and good works
Let's see, hmmmm

That's about it.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:21 AM

7,108 posts, read 3,400,947 times
Quote:

I might have said the same thing once.

His appeals to racial pride and fear definitely do not cover him in glory.

Yet his confrontation with MOVE resulted in the death of a police officer. Wilson Goode's resulted in the destruction of a chunk of a neighborhood.

I've also heard of an incident where he went into a section of Kensington where white residents were harassing a black family who had moved in and told the residents to cut it out - that he wouldn't tolerate that sort of thing here.

I've had more than a few of my African-American friends say kind words about him. It seems that if he knew you, he had your back, no matter what color you are.

(Or sexual orientation. His cops did raid gay bars, or so I've heard, but there was one that I also heard never got hassled: the 247 Bar, the leather/Levi bar a friend of his owned. It was the city's oldest gay bar, dating to 1971, at the time of its closure about three years ago.)

And what might be the most important piece of transportation infrastructure to be completed since the freeways - the Commuter Tunnel - should be credited to him, for he laid the groundwork for its creation - doing so to show what could happen when everyone around here thought regionally. (Unfortunately, he sacrificed the Roosevelt Boulevard subway to bring this about.)

I see him as a flawed giant, a more complex and contradictory individual than either his fans or his detractors acknowledge. And while I consider Joe Clark, Richardson Dilworth, Ed Rendell and Michael Nutter as better mayors than he, he did capture the public eye to a much greater extent than any of those save maybe Rendell.

The statue will not disappear; rather, it will be moved to another site. This I also think appropriate. My suggestion is the Italian Market.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:13 AM

10,684 posts, read 6,264,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I hated Rizzo but this is a mistake, imo.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:45 AM

5,231 posts, read 1,929,169 times
It's too many important things on my mind to think about a statue which is why this news story is silly.

Old 11-04-2017, 10:20 AM

26,666 posts, read 11,793,007 times
Rizzo was a two term mayor. If he was so bad, why was he re-elected, then if he hadn't died he may have been elected to a third term. Yes, he was controversial, but he kept law, and order during a time when cities like L.A. had the Watts riots, death, and destruction. Remember the MOVE debacle happened under Black mayor, Wilson Goode, who gave the order to drop the bomb, and burn down an entire neighborhood.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:17 PM

7,475 posts, read 10,398,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I might have said the same thing once.

His appeals to racial pride and fear definitely do not cover him in glory.

Yet his confrontation with MOVE resulted in the death of a police officer. Wilson Goode's resulted in the destruction of a chunk of a neighborhood.

I've also heard of an incident where he went into a section of Kensington where white residents were harassing a black family who had moved in and told the residents to cut it out - that he wouldn't tolerate that sort of thing here.

I've had more than a few of my African-American friends say kind words about him. It seems that if he knew you, he had your back, no matter what color you are.

(Or sexual orientation. His cops did raid gay bars, or so I've heard, but there was one that I also heard never got hassled: the 247 Bar, the leather/Levi bar a friend of his owned. It was the city's oldest gay bar, dating to 1971, at the time of its closure about three years ago.)

And what might be the most important piece of transportation infrastructure to be completed since the freeways - the Commuter Tunnel - should be credited to him, for he laid the groundwork for its creation - doing so to show what could happen when everyone around here thought regionally. (Unfortunately, he sacrificed the Roosevelt Boulevard subway to bring this about.)

I see him as a flawed giant, a more complex and contradictory individual than either his fans or his detractors acknowledge. And while I consider Joe Clark, Richardson Dilworth, Ed Rendell and Michael Nutter as better mayors than he, he did capture the public eye to a much greater extent than any of those save maybe Rendell.

The statue will not disappear; rather, it will be moved to another site. This I also think appropriate. My suggestion is the Italian Market.
This sums up my thoughts perfectly.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:19 PM

2,131 posts, read 1,101,641 times
Regarding statues: They should probably remove the ugly, aggressive, black power hairpick while they're at it.
Talk about 'divisive ...' The inmates are running the asylum.
Put the Rizzo statue in Packer Park, where the Italian-Americans can appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia