Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 11:16 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times

Advertisements

I see the Sixers continue to sellout home games so far in this young season, over 20,000 each game. It was not too long ago where they bottomed out at 10,000-12,000 on weeknights against lousy teams for several years. And sellouts were a few times a season. I read in summer that the whole season was sold out before the season started.

Haven't been able to find any tv ratings vs. Flyers games this year, but I bet they've doubled Flyers tv audiences. Those ratings usually are published at the halfway part of the season.

So, it seems there's lots of buzz for the Sixers. Is this reflected yet in sports talk radio, and people wearing lots of Sixers shirts and hats when out shopping?

I guess the tanking for so long was worth it.

The Phillies may be the least popular local team at this point in terms of buzz and excitement, off season notwithstanding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 03:13 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,456,644 times
The most popular team in the city is whoever's doing the most winning ... Right now, obviously, it's the Eagles, with the 76ers and Flyers a distant second. The Phillies made some news by hiring a new manager ... Loyal Flyers and Eagles fans tend to be jealous of the Phillies championships.
I, as are many, am excited about the 76ers young, talented core. And, yes, hardcore, long-time fans are sporting their 76ers gear and yapping away on local sports radio.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:21 PM

1,388 posts, read 909,333 times
The Eagles will always be the most popular team in town, even when they're bad. Right now, there is definitely a buzz around the Sixers (and the game last night against the Pacers last night was really exciting), but after the Eagles, the Flyers have the biggest intrinsic fanbase.

As far as whether it was worth it to intentionally suck for 5 years, call me when the banner is going up...

Old 11-04-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
The Eagles will always be the most popular team in town, even when they're bad.
Nah. I guess you forgot about the 2007-11 Phillies.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:28 PM

1,388 posts, read 909,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Nah. I guess you forgot about the 2007-11 Phillies.
Yeah, when the Phillies were good, there was definitely a huge buzz for them, but the Eagles were still kings. The Eagles were pretty good in that time, too. The difference is that the Phillies fanbase goes into hibernation when they stink, but the Eagles sell out even when the team is bad.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
Yeah, when the Phillies were good, there was definitely a huge buzz for them, but the Eagles were still kings. The Eagles were pretty good in that time, too. The difference is that the Phillies fanbase goes into hibernation when they stink, but the Eagles sell out even when the team is bad.
The Phillies were the 'kings' then, they actually won something. That's the reason they were more popular.
It's all about who's winning more

Old 11-04-2017, 05:40 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
The most popular team in the city is whoever's doing the most winning ... Right now, obviously, it's the Eagles, with the 76ers and Flyers a distant second. The Phillies made some news by hiring a new manager ... Loyal Flyers and Eagles fans tend to be jealous of the Phillies championships.
I, as are many, am excited about the 76ers young, talented core. And, yes, hardcore, long-time fans are sporting their 76ers gear and yapping away on local sports radio.
Are they? I'm still not seeing any sixers' gear around town.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:23 PM

311 posts, read 313,789 times
Honestly so much of it depends on who you talk to. I think among younger people (I'm at Temple) football and basketball are big so Eagles and Sixers especially now that they're warming up. Flyers fan base is a little more niche probably but fans are very passionate as well. I've always thought on an even scale, Eagles, Sixers, and Flyers fanbases could rival virtually any in the country in their respective sports. Even though the Phillies have a solid fanbase as well, I don't think the same about them, which says something about what a great sports town Philly is, coz that 2007-2011 stretch was absolutely wild.
Btw, what I mean by even scale is if all league teams had pretty much equal records.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:13 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
The sixers have a new young team with experienced veterans so they should be in the playoffs this season. Even when the sixers was a crappy team going to a game was still a great night out for a family or a couple on a friday or saturday night.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Are they? I'm still not seeing any sixers' gear around town.
Look harder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia