Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2017, 08:59 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,677,377 times

Advertisements

When are you moving? No particular time
Where are you coming from? Media
Why are you moving? Would like to consider letting my parents stay in current place. Would like to live in a townhome with a garage in or close to the city. Around 1100 sq ft. would be nice.
Where will you be working? downtown CC West
Have you been here yet? 15+ years on and off

Will you buy or rent? buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? townhome
How much can you spend? 700k? (unsure, but it can probably be squeezed. Prefer 400-600k?)
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? walk up

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? PA city living like a suburbanite or suburb
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-philadelphia/)

Are you married or single? Do you have children? single and no children. May become partnered
Do you prefer public or private schools? public
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? If there is going to be a yard, I'd want it to taken care of through a townhome community association
Are you keeping a car? Yes, 2 if possible.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? doesn't matter to me.

What do you want to be closest to?
Hospital primarily or Work

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
None of these are absolutes, but things to consider:
race: Asian
Religion: Atheist
Sexual: lgbt
diversity is okay if I can relate to the socio-economics of the individuals

Favorite Beverage - Craft Beer, wine, water? craft beer or cider wine or flavored water
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 04:24 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Generally speaking, if you want a home with parking for two cars, it's going to come with a yard, at least in front if not in back, and it won't be maintained by an HOA, for most condominiums in this city are in apartment buildings, and those that aren't are rowhouses, which generally have one-car garages.

Besides, the city's extensive public transportation system plus car sharing (Zipcar) may well make that second car unnecessary. (Why would one person need two cars anyway?)

You'll pretty much have your pick of city neighborhoods to live in if your target price is $400k-$600k. I'd recommend Spring Garden/Fairmount, Brewerytown and Graduate Hospital as places to look first. Logan Square and University City would also make good choices.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:44 AM

752 posts, read 458,920 times
Just to clarify terms, what do you mean when you say townhome? I usually associate “townhome” with attached, suburban tract housing but I know people from the suburbs sometimes call rowhomes by that name as well.

Considering that you want parking for two cars, someplace like Packer Park may be a good compromise where you can find something like these well within your price range:

(credit: https://packerparkliving.com/)

(credit: OCF Realty | A Philadelphia Real Estate Firm | Real Estate Property Management Philadelphia | Homes, Apartments, Condos, Commercial Spaces, Vacant Land | Buy, Rent, Sell Property in Philadelphia)

Old 11-24-2017, 07:09 PM

Yeah, townhome would seem most similar to "rowhome" for the city.
The 2nd car could be for a guest, or there could be a guest lot which would be nice.
A person does not need a 2nd car. It's a luxury to have 2 let alone one car.

If there was a place that was maintained by an HOA that was not connected like row homes, that would be okay too.

Prefer to consider Fishtown or Loft District/Chinatown in addition to Packer Park.
Loft District/Chinatown seems to have nothing available. I know there's the Rail Park construction, but I don't know if they are doing anything there like what I am considering.

Would a residence near FDR park have flooding concerns after a number of decades since it was once marshland?

GH seems to have a community developing. Do you think it is too close to the oil refinery though?

I don't know if anything would be built near the CSX railyard.
Is that section considered Pennsport?

I'm not able to edit my post above. I'm hoping for new construction with a tax abatement too.

I might be asking for something that just doesn't exist?

I certainly don't claim to be one to be a true urbanite either.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:24 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
Yeah, townhome would seem most similar to "rowhome" for the city.
The 2nd car could be for a guest, or there could be a guest lot which would be nice.
A person does not need a 2nd car. It's a luxury to have 2 let alone one car.

If there was a place that was maintained by an HOA that was not connected like row homes, that would be okay too.

Prefer to consider Fishtown or Loft District/Chinatown in addition to Packer Park.
Loft District/Chinatown seems to have nothing available. I know there's the Rail Park construction, but I don't know if they are doing anything there like what I am considering.

Would a residence near FDR park have flooding concerns after a number of decades since it was once marshland?

GH seems to have a community developing. Do you think it is too close to the oil refinery though?

I don't know if anything would be built near the CSX railyard.
Is that section considered Pennsport?

I'm not able to edit my post above. I'm hoping for new construction with a tax abatement too.

I might be asking for something that just doesn't exist?

I certainly don't claim to be one to be a true urbanite either.
Flooding is not a big problem in extreme South Philly, even though that entire part of the city sits just above the water table (and the Broad Street Subway tunnel lies beneath it and must constantly be pumped dry).

GH? That means "Graduate Hospital" to me. It's well away from the refineries, which lie southwest of Point Breeze. It has strong community organizations.

I think that CSX Greenwich Yard is actually adjacent to Whitman, which is the neighborhood below Pennsport.

I think what may come closest to what you're looking for here is Naval Square, a gated townhouse community built around William Strickland's 1833 Naval Retirement Home at Graduate Hospital's west edge. It IS a condominium with an HOA. Several local Realtors can probably fill you in on what's currently available there.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Flooding is not a big problem in extreme South Philly, even though that entire part of the city sits just above the water table (and the Broad Street Subway tunnel lies beneath it and must constantly be pumped dry).

GH? That means "Graduate Hospital" to me. It's well away from the refineries, which lie southwest of Point Breeze. It has strong community organizations.

I think that CSX Greenwich Yard is actually adjacent to Whitman, which is the neighborhood below Pennsport.

I think what may come closest to what you're looking for here is Naval Square, a gated townhouse community built around William Strickland's 1833 Naval Retirement Home at Graduate Hospital's west edge. It IS a condominium with an HOA. Several local Realtors can probably fill you in on what's currently available there.
GH is graduate hospital
I've heard of a development in Naval Square and know a person who used to live there. Apparently, that development has no garages.

https://juddbuilders.com/PA/philadel...iena-place.php
This is a place I was aware of when it was at 289,900 before many of the homes were built. I think I've seen many comments that the homes here were built very shoddily and overly cheap quality construction material. Also, it is really close to the refineries, but is blocked off by some hill so that you can't see the refineries I believe. Other than those two factors, seems like a nice enclave and location. I've had a chance to visit a corner unit a few times.

Do you consider a home close to the refineries a problem?
Thank you.

Last edited by chessimprov; 11-25-2017 at 08:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia