U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 11:34 PM

82 posts, read 41,897 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know when the 15 trolley is supposed to start running to Port Richmond again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 02:31 PM

58 posts, read 16,052 times
hijacking this thread since it has the same name as the one I was creating. The historic 15 trolley has been switched over to buses as SEPTA does some work. There seems to be a lot of concern over whether or not the trolleys will ever return:

https://www.railwayage.com/passenger...-15-streetcar/

but SEPTA says they will come back:

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2020/...rolleys-septa/

I don't use the route 15 service, since I don't live in the neighborhoods around it (I use the subway surface line a lot), but I think the trolley system is vital to the the city and feel the need to make noise if I think any part of it is in danger. Hopefully SEPTA can be trusted, but here's a petition just in case:
https://www.5thsq.org/fix_the_15

I also think that it's worthwhile to restore the vintage trolleys. Not sure if folks living along the 15 like the vintage trolley or would rather have the new articulated train sets, but I really like seeing the vintage ones. Maybe they should just randomly run them on all the lines. Or if they ever get moving on the Delaware ave/cultural corridor line. Anyway, I think it'd be a huge mistake to let them go. We should be expanding the trolleys.

Old 01-27-2020, 02:50 PM

85 posts, read 29,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skintreesnail View Post
hijacking this thread since it has the same name as the one I was creating. The historic 15 trolley has been switched over to buses as SEPTA does some work. There seems to be a lot of concern over whether or not the trolleys will ever return:

I don't use the route 15 service, since I don't live in the neighborhoods around it (I use the subway surface line a lot), but I think the trolley system is vital to the the city and feel the need to make noise if I think any part of it is in danger. Hopefully SEPTA can be trusted, but here's a petition just in case:

I also think that it's worthwhile to restore the vintage trolleys. Not sure if folks living along the 15 like the vintage trolley or would rather have the new articulated train sets, but I really like seeing the vintage ones. Maybe they should just randomly run them on all the lines. Or if they ever get moving on the Delaware ave/cultural corridor line. Anyway, I think it'd be a huge mistake to let them go. We should be expanding the trolleys.
While trolleys are nice. I'd much rather have buses that are accessible for those with wheelchairs than trolleys that are not (see all the light rail in West Philly)

The 15 trolley was the only one that had any wheelchair accessibility, but even that was inferior to a bus, since the operator had to exit the vehicle to operate it.

Basically, the trolley modernization scheme needs to have its schedule moved up substantially.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:18 PM

absolutely, they need to get moving on trolley modernization and include Girard in that plan. You make a good point about the accessibility. I still hope they can find a use for the vintage trolleys though.

Old 01-27-2020, 05:01 PM

1,200 posts, read 700,060 times
The region needs to establish a transit council and the 5 county Southeast Pennsylvania region needs to mandate more local funding for local transit projects.

Many many many criticize SEPTA and Pennsylvania for its transit budget. But it is a fact Pennsylvania as a state contributes one of the largest capital budgets in the USA to transit.

It is the failure of local government and leadership to fund our system for capital projects. By contrast our local funding is some of the lowest of major metros.

Given the crisis with the PA Turnpike budgets and Act 89 funding coming to a close soon I see the Trolley modernization project 15+ years away unless local leadership can think regionally and step up to the plate and think big on how to build a more robust and efficient system.

Our trolley system is impressive. But it is going to take local leaders to salvage and modernize. I do give credit to the state.

Pennsylvania is the 5th highest transit funded state in the nation in terms of state funding.

I think it is our local leaders we need to be looking at. To innovate with funding solutions.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:02 AM

10,158 posts, read 5,828,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skintreesnail View Post

They were restored once before when the 15 trolley line was reinstated about 20 years ago.

Given that the Kawasakis, on the subway service routes, are supposed to be replaced doubt these PCCs would show up at all on those routes.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:06 AM

10,158 posts, read 5,828,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro2985 View Post
While trolleys are nice. I'd much rather have buses that are accessible for those with wheelchairs than trolleys that are not (see all the light rail in West Philly)

The 15 trolley was the only one that had any wheelchair accessibility, but even that was inferior to a bus, since the operator had to exit the vehicle to operate it.

Basically, the trolley modernization scheme needs to have its schedule moved up substantially.
The subway services trolleys are supposed to be replaced because they are not ADA compliant and they are almost 40 years old.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:46 AM

34 posts, read 10,248 times
I would hate to see these old PCC cars off the streets forever. I hope they figure out a way to run them, perhaps on a different route (23?), once the trolley modernization project is completed. Additionally, I hope the new low-floor, ADA vehicles pay homage to the PCC cars in color scheme and/or shape.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
They were restored once before when the 15 trolley line was reinstated about 20 years ago.

Given that the Kawasakis, on the subway service routes, are supposed to be replaced doubt these PCCs would show up at all on those routes.
True, the trolley modernization project is supposed to replace everything with articulated cars, which will allow for ADA compliance and just better overall operation (the prototype I've seen is below). My only thought would be that it'd be nice to keep at least some of the PCC trolleys for historic purposes, or something like what San Francisco does with their Market street line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjozac View Post
I would hate to see these old PCC cars off the streets forever. I hope they figure out a way to run them, perhaps on a different route (23?), once the trolley modernization project is completed. Additionally, I hope the new low-floor, ADA vehicles pay homage to the PCC cars in color scheme and/or shape.
If we can't have a cultural corridor trolley and use them there, route 23 would be nice. Especially since they apparently rebuilt it in the 90s but never restored the trolley. Here's a rending of a prototype I've seen. Hopefully this changes to something more like you described. I think there are some in Europe that have a similar look, and the new ones in Toronto aren't bad looking either.

https://philly.curbed.com/2018/1/16/...olley-proposal

Old 01-29-2020, 06:58 AM

1,292 posts, read 750,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjozac View Post
Why? They look so incredibly old and outdated, and contributes to the image of poverty that Philadelphia still gets stuck with (to some degree). Put them on a tourist sightseeing route or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or