Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 09:42 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I find it funny when people post in the PA forum and people from NJ try to tell them to move somewhere that has the highest property taxes in the nation. * cough NJ. NJ has the highest net migration out in the entire North East. Mostly because of property taxes. And also if you read OP request one is Amtrak access. NO towns in S. Jersey offer Amtrak access except Trenton. SouthEast PA has way more Amtrak stations and your blind responses are silly.

And the poster specifically said they want property taxes to be reasonable and they want to move to Pennsylvania.

ANYWAYS....
And if they can't deduct those property taxes at all or they're capped at a certain amount, re possible new fed taxes, the out-migration from NJ will increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:

Delaware County: A bit more suburban/urban. But offers truly amazing amenities. Specifically:

#1) Media, PA. Which is the most vibrant suburban town in the Philadelphia metro. With tons of restaurants, bars and a huge arts scene and direct transit access to Philadelphia.
#2) Haverford/Ardmore. Charming towns. You will not find as much open space but its charm will make up for it. And it is on the Amtrak line.
Nitpick. Why can't local posters remember/learn that some Main Line towns(you mentioned Haverford and Ardmore) are split between two counties and two townships/school districts? The differences between those school districts is substantial.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You're such a sweetheart. Gloucester County is nearer to the airport than most of your offerings. You have a standard rant about property taxes. It varies.
But, the OP did specifically say PA.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:55 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
But, the OP did specifically say PA.
And the 1st response suggested 2 towns in South Jersey that have zero 1 acre properties. I made a post addressing that post. There was no reason for me to be called out for my post. Nowhere in the tri-state area punches every button. Gloucester & Burlington counties have lower tax rates than Camden County. The property values tend to be lower too, for comparable properties. Add in that the OP wants acreage, & that lowers the number places to look at. Nothing says that the OP will look in South Jersey, but I posted that the desired acreage is not available in the towns that were first suggested, at any price. There is no reason for the OP or a subsequent poster to waste time looking for what doesn't exist. Do you disagree with that?

Old 12-09-2017, 12:43 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Nitpick. Why can't local posters remember/learn that some Main Line towns(you mentioned Haverford and Ardmore) are split between two counties and two townships/school districts? The differences between those school districts is substantial.

I am aware of this. I just didn't find it substantial since OP said their kids graduated. I know Ardmore/Haverford are on the border and I needed more infill with Delco so I included them with Delaware County and Narberth with Montco. But all in all its the same similar areas! But you are right, I think its mindful when posters pay attention to what matters most to OPs. Always enjoy your feedback KY!

Old 12-09-2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
And the 1st response suggested 2 towns in South Jersey that have zero 1 acre properties. I made a post addressing that post. There was no reason for me to be called out for my post. Nowhere in the tri-state area punches every button. Gloucester & Burlington counties have lower tax rates than Camden County. The property values tend to be lower too, for comparable properties. Add in that the OP wants acreage, & that lowers the number places to look at. Nothing says that the OP will look in South Jersey, but I posted that the desired acreage is not available in the towns that were first suggested, at any price. There is no reason for the OP or a subsequent poster to waste time looking for what doesn't exist. Do you disagree with that?

If you read the post. The OP works in NYC 2 days a week. And Amtrak was highly rated as an amenity requirement. Nowhere in S. Jersey accommodates this. Western Chester County provides.

1) More Character
2) Lower Property Taxes
3) Amtrak Access (4 stations on high interval service directly to NYC).
4) More historic walkable towns

Thanks Southbound for your insight. It just is irritating when you always post to OP's naming Jersey townships in the PA forum. There are some desirable parts of S. Jersey. I am not saying there is not. But SEPA has more amenities/desirability at a lower tax burden and that is all there is too it.

And also yes. Real Estate values are higher in SEPA than S. Jersey. But appreciation is also higher. When you purchase Real Estate a tax burden comparison is a HUGE deal. As taxes are not an investment but an overhead percentage. Yes properties cost more in SEPA but they sell more and appreciate more too, so it is a SMART investment.

If you read the latest report for Philadelphia Real Estate. S. Jersey real estate has been suffering, while SEPA has seen a healthy market. Again it is because S. Jersey has INSANE property taxes. Your denial and defense of this matter is strange TBH.

I have personal friends who moved out of Haddonfield, NJ and into SEPA specifically because of property taxes, and they have the means to live anywhere they choose.

They also had their house on the market in Haddonfield for over a year and had to sell at 300k below listing. (again they have the means to live anywhere). And Haddonfield is suppose to be a desirable location with good transit access. They have a very beautiful modern/updated home. In a top performing district. And overall greater Philadelphia has had a solid year for Real Estate. But all these desirability factors and they still had a MAJOR challenge selling their home.

Their house comp was still 300k below average on a listing on the PA side. And its all because of property taxes. But even paying for more for real estate in SEPA, they end up SAVING because their tax burden is lower. They moved because they want to retire in 10 years and have no desire to pay 35k a year in property taxes. In PA their property taxes are less than half that.

I have another friend who lives in Cinnaminson, NJ. Their home value is modest around 300k. They pay $13,000 a year in property taxes. When I found this out I was absolutely flabbergasted. Cinnaminson in no way warrants those tax rates on any level. They are also reaching retirement age and also looking to move to PA within the next 5 years.

These are some major red flags in terms of s. jersey real estate that you 100% are denying To be frank.

NJ has a MAJOR property tax problem. And PA property taxes are PA is not perfect by any means, but to deny NJ does not have some major property tax issues and then suggest to a poster to move to NJ who specifically was concerned about property taxes is irresponsible.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 12-09-2017 at 01:23 AM..

Old 12-09-2017, 01:31 AM

Quote:
If you read the post. The OP works in NYC 2 days a week. And Amtrak was highly rated as an amenity requirement. Nowhere in S. Jersey accommodates this. Western Chester County provides.

1) More Character
2) Lower Property Taxes
3) Amtrak Access (4 stations on high interval service directly to NYC).
4) More historic walkable towns

Thanks Southbound for your insight. It just is irritating when you always post to OP's naming Jersey townships in the PA forum. There are some desirable parts of S. Jersey. I am not saying there is not. But SEPA has more amenities/desirability at a lower tax burden and that is all there is too it.

And also yes. Real Estate values are higher in SEPA than S. Jersey. But appreciation is also higher. When you purchase Real Estate a tax burden comparison is a HUGE deal. As taxes are not an investment but an overhead percentage. Yes properties cost more in SEPA but they sell more and appreciate more too, so it is a SMART investment.

If you read the latest report for Philadelphia Real Estate. S. Jersey real estate has been suffering, while SEPA has seen a healthy market. Again it is because S. Jersey has INSANE property taxes. Your denial and defense of this matter is strange TBH.

I have personal friends who moved out of Haddonfield, NJ and into SEPA specifically because of property taxes, and they have the means to live anywhere they choose.

They also had their house on the market in Haddonfield for over a year and had to sell at 300k below listing. (again they have the means to live anywhere). And Haddonfield is suppose to be a desirable location with good transit access. They have a very beautiful modern/updated home. In a top performing district. And overall greater Philadelphia has had a solid year for Real Estate. But all these desirability factors and they still had a MAJOR challenge selling their home.

Their house comp was still 300k below average on a listing on the PA side. And its all because of property taxes. But even paying for more for real estate in SEPA, they end up SAVING because their tax burden is lower. They moved because they want to retire in 10 years and have no desire to pay 35k a year in property taxes. In PA their property taxes are less than half that.

I have another friend who lives in Cinnaminson, NJ. Their home value is modest around 300k. They pay $13,000 a year in property taxes. When I found this out I was absolutely flabbergasted. Cinnaminson in no way warrants those tax rates on any level. They are also reaching retirement age and also looking to move to PA within the next 5 years.

These are some major red flags in terms of s. jersey real estate that you 100% are denying To be frank.

NJ has a MAJOR property tax problem. And PA property taxes are PA is not perfect by any means, but to deny NJ does not have some major property tax issues and then suggest to a poster to move to NJ who specifically was concerned about property taxes is irresponsible.
So you think that I had no right to post that that there is no acreage in the towns that someone else suggested. You think that people who come upon this thread should waste their time looking for the acreage, access to rail, & airport. Nice, & so considerate of you. Do tell us all how likely the OP is to get acreage in the Mainline towns that you listed.

Last edited by southbound_295; 12-09-2017 at 01:51 AM..

Old 12-09-2017, 05:19 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
rowhomecity gave you a very good summary of the communities around Philadelphia in Southeastern Pennsylvania, but I would quibble with some of his choices at the margins, especially in light of the OP's stated desire for a home on a lot of at least an acre.

You won't find such homes within the boundaries of Media Borough, but you may find them in the surrounding townships (Marple, Upper and Nether Providence, Middletown). In Ardmore and Haverford, you're more likely to run across them north of the Main Line tracks (in their Montgomery County portions, IOW) than south of them, but the property taxes on them may be more than the OP said they were willing to pay. (The Montgomery County portions of the two communities lie within the Lower Merion School District, long regarded as one of the finest in the state, and Lower Merion residents aren't reluctant to pick up the tab for their famed public schools.)

Because Amtrak access matters, Chadds Ford, which is close to the Delaware state line, falls to #5 among the Chester County communities listed. It is, however, about a 20-minute drive from Wilmington. Paoli and Exton, both stops on Amtrak as rowhomecity noted, should occupy the #1 and #2 spots therefore. Exton, however, doesn't really have what I'd call a walkable town center; despite the presence of a "Main Street"-style shopping center not far from the train station, Pottstown Pike (State Route 100), along which most of Exton's commerce lies, is a broad highway with heavy traffic that makes walking less than pleasurable. Chadds Ford is probably the most "rural" of the five communities, nosing out Kennett Square by a hair, however, so there is that in its favor, and the Brandywine Valley is lovely country indeed. (And historic: it's the site of one of the major Revolutionary War battles that took place in this region.)

Chadds Ford, by the way, actually lies in Delaware County, at its extreme southwest corner. It shares a highly rated school district with neighboring Unionville in Chester County, though that isn't really important to the OP.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
So you think that I had no right to post that that there is no acreage in the towns that someone else suggested. You think that people who come upon this thread should waste their time looking for the acreage, access to rail, & airport. Nice, & so considerate of you. Do tell us all how likely the OP is to get acreage in the Mainline towns that you listed.
*rolling my eyes. Please note that I do suggest NJ towns when renting comes into play. And I have even affirmed Cherry Hill to one small family looking to relocate. I think Collingswood and Haddonfield are lovely transit oriented communities. I also enjoy Moorestown main street and find it very desirable. (although it lacks rapid transit). I am just discussing property taxes. That is all. Thank You. Especially since the OP list it in their requirements to keep property taxes around 7k.

And I suggested places in every county in SEPA (listing 3/4 choices within each county), not just 'mainline' as I am fully aware what the OP listed as their needs, and I simply was looking at access to Amtrak as they are a weekly commuter to NYC for work. I am aware there are more areas than the mainline for those looking to locate to this region. Thank you

Old 12-09-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
*rolling my eyes. Please note that I do suggest NJ towns when renting comes into play. And I have even affirmed Cherry Hill to one small family looking to relocate. I think Collingswood and Haddonfield are lovely transit oriented communities. I also enjoy Moorestown main street and find it very desirable. (although it lacks rapid transit). I am just discussing property taxes. That is all. Thank You. Especially since the OP list it in their requirements to keep property taxes around 7k.

And I suggested places in every county in SEPA (listing 3/4 choices within each county), not just 'mainline' as I am fully aware what the OP listed as their needs, and I simply was looking at access to Amtrak as they are a weekly commuter to NYC for work. I am aware there are more areas than the mainline for those looking to locate to this region. Thank you
The 1st suggestion made to the OP were towns with no acreage in South Jersey. I addressed that. Had you not gone on a rant, I would have posted nothing further. Besides property taxes, the OP wants acreage - minimum of an acre, not schools. The OP also wants access to the airport & train access. Train access can include driving no further to PATCO than distances that you've suggested &, by transferring, getting to rail to NYC in Philadelphia or Trenton.

While it's unlikely, it's possible to find a farmette in South Jersey at the top of the budget. Since I highly doubt that you know what a farmette is, it's a property consisting of 6 acres. If the owner grows something & sells a minimal amount of it, the property qualifies for the agricultural property tax rate, which is lower than residential rates. It's not difficult to grow some flowers &/or tomatoes & sell them to a restaurant. It all depends on what is on the market at a given time, as to what possibilities are there in any location.

You attacked me for clarifying the acreage requirement to another poster. You didn't take the airport requirement into consideration or the acreage. You went on a rant, at me, not the poster who first suggested towns in South Jersey with no acreage. I tried to be polite to that person as they made the suggestion in good faith. You obviously felt no compulsion to be polite to me, as usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia