Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 11:26 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,747,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
I think it depends. Norristown is def corrupt. Philly has been run by democrats for the last 50+ years and is totally corrupt.
Difference is people out here are not totally brainwashed to vote the same party every time.
Right. Republicans, at least in DC, want to push one of the biggest cons imaginable on the American people with their fraudulent "tax reform" crap. But, since this board or thread is not about any of that I won't go further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I know. I'm not sure how I feel about the abatements. My understanding is they were put in place to help Philly at a time when there was flight out of the city. I've been going to open houses on the new construction (my girlfriend is moving back to the city from bucks county) and while some are really nice, yowza they are not cheap. I think I could give up an abatement if they would work on the school system.

I am sooo doing the happy dance about the first part,

I'm definitely going to rent the first couple of years. So far a couple of places I want to investigate is Tybee Island in Ga, Charleston SC and Naples Florida.

LOL, I'm a large child and huge Disney world freak so Naples has a slight lead.

You are like my son. He loves Philly from October to June. as soon as it gets over 82 degrees he's ready to bolt.
Thanks for the info.
Abatements: I have mixed emotions about it. 10 years is too long now. Cut it down to 5. Getting local control of the schools back? An open ended question as too how well that will work.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:37 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,248,892 times
well since you brought it up. When was the last time democrats EVER cut taxes for the working class?

Where is the tax bill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Right. Republicans, at least in DC, want to push one of the biggest cons imaginable on the American people with their fraudulent "tax reform" crap. But, since this board or thread is not about any of that I won't go further.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
well since you brought it up. When was the last time democrats EVER cut taxes for the working class?

Where is the tax bill?
Obama kept the fed tax cut Bush Jr started. Lame response though.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:03 PM

665 posts, read 612,763 times
Quick question from someone out of the area. Is the Philly wage/income tax different for city residents and out-of-city residents in PA? If so, what is the difference? I know property taxes and income taxes are lower in PA than NJ based on my research. If there's a webpage or city bulletin about this, that would be helpful.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:49 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,463,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasy973 View Post
Quick question from someone out of the area. Is the Philly wage/income tax different for city residents and out-of-city residents in PA? If so, what is the difference? I know property taxes and income taxes are lower in PA than NJ based on my research. If there's a webpage or city bulletin about this, that would be helpful.
Residents pay 3.89%, non-residents about .4% less. There may be some form of reciprocity between NJ and Philly for Jersey residents working in Philly, but I couldn't say for sure.

Here's a link to the Philly web site:
https://beta.phila.gov/services/paym...tax-employers/

Old 12-13-2017, 03:09 PM

665 posts, read 612,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Residents pay 3.89%, non-residents about .4% less. There may be some form of reciprocity between NJ and Philly for Jersey residents working in Philly, but I couldn't say for sure.

Frank, thanks. The reason I ask is because I'm thinking about relocation to different areas and Philly is definitely on my short list. I would not move back unless family matters required it.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:30 PM

1,697 posts, read 968,681 times
I'd say that the privilege of living in the city is well worth it to me, understanding fully that to others, it might not be.

I look at it this way...When I lived in NY State, I paid 8.5%. The City and State taxes combined are still 25% lower here than anywhere in NYS. Live in NYC and you get even further dinged.

For what you get, I'm happily paying City tax (though if it were to see a reduction down to say...2%, I wouldn't complain).

Old 12-13-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post

Yes, I think there still is reciprocity between NJ and Philly wrt Jersey residents working in Philly.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:50 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,878,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhongl View Post
for people who live in the philli city, I guess the difference of local tax rate is 3% (4% in the city, 1% in suburbs).
for 200k annual income, you are looking at 6k difference, that is basically 500 each month additional rent.

that is a bit of cost you have to bear by living in the city, not to mention the rent in the city is already higher than in the suburbs.
If you work for the city, you have to pay city tax anyway. Living in the city vs suburb difference is minimal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia