Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2017, 06:32 AM

44 posts, read 33,937 times

Advertisements

We’ve been living in PA for 4 months now. We’ve come from the UK, settling in and acclimating is more challenging than we expected. I think it’s the common language that fooled us 😆. We haven’t ventured outside the suburbs and city yet but we’re desperate to see the mountains.
My husband has an artificial knee, so snow sports are out for us this time. The kids and I are hoping we can do that without him. However, are there any places we could go where there are trails that might be clearer of snow?
I’m thinking of the Poconos but I’m open to suggestions. We have two dogs with us.

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 09:17 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,458,696 times
One site that immediately comes to mind is https://www.alltrails.com/?ref=header. It's an excellent resource: trail maps, elevation profiles, difficulty ratings, features (views, birding, ...), and a lot of other useful information.
One of the probably many trails you'll find there is Tank Hollow, a bit north of Jim Thorpe: https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/p...k-hollow-trail (note the dogs-on-leash restriction). This would be spectacular during foliage season, but is probably a worthwhile trip any time of year. I'm sure you'll find several trails that'll meet all your needs & restrictions. As for weather conditions, specifically snow: if there's a park # listed in AllTrails, call for current conditions. If there's no number, call the visitor center at a nearby town (e.g., for Tank Hollow, Jim Thorpe would be the nearest town). And if there's no visitor center, just call a local government office, museum, etc. and ask for help (really ... I've done this and people are initially perplexed but invariable helpful).

Old 12-19-2017, 01:19 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,749,531 times
If I'm looking for trails that are "clearer of snow," actually I head from Harrisburg area into Philadelphia, or Washington, or New York City.

Average snowfall map for PA: https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...d-maps/2849411

Old 12-19-2017, 01:47 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,540,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteHorseFlier View Post
We’ve been living in PA for 4 months now. We’ve come from the UK, settling in and acclimating is more challenging than we expected. I think it’s the common language that fooled us 😆. We haven’t ventured outside the suburbs and city yet but we’re desperate to see the mountains.
My husband has an artificial knee, so snow sports are out for us this time. The kids and I are hoping we can do that without him. However, are there any places we could go where there are trails that might be clearer of snow?
I’m thinking of the Poconos but I’m open to suggestions. We have two dogs with us.

Thank you in advance
You've probably noticed that weather reports state that there's more snow north & west of the city. Those are the same directions where you'll find mountains. You could check for trails in the Pine Barrens, but the area is flat. At this time of year, I'd suggest taking a drive to see some mountains, but do hiking in Fairmont Park or the Pine Barrens.

If you want, in the warmer seasons, you might enjoy checking out the Appalachian Trail, & hiking segments of it. I wouldn't suggest that you try it in the winter.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:55 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,291,416 times
Quote:
We’ve been living in PA for 4 months now. We’ve come from the UK, settling in and acclimating is more challenging than we expected. I think it’s the common language that fooled us ��. We haven’t ventured outside the suburbs and city yet but we’re desperate to see the mountains.

Thank you in advance
I 100% recommend the Poconos, it is quite an expansive area and only a 1.5 - 2 hour drive north. They have a great website with tons of information.

https://www.poconomountains.com/

Also they have a really amazing Instagram! I keep saving their photos to my Insta Collection, as there is quite a bit to do up there.

https://www.instagram.com/poconotourism/?hl=en

Also I 100% recommend visiting Jim Thorpe, PA while in the Poconos. It is an absolutely charming town, that is situated in a small valley, surrounded by mountains. The town has beautiful architecture as well as cute shops and restaurants worth seeing.

I am not sure where in the area you live. But some other GREAT areas to access the outdoors. (although not the mountains).

1) Wissahickhon (In Fairmount Park)
2) Schuylkill River Trail
3) Valley Forge
4) Chester County (has TONS of beautiful trails)
5) Bucks County. (Washington Crossing Park) + New Hope. (Absolutely lovely town with a very scenic drive. (Make sure you take River Rd.)

This region has quite a bit of outdoor amenities you just have to be aware where to access. ENJOY

Old 12-19-2017, 02:26 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,749,531 times
Here are many open space areas in southeastern PA: https://natlands.org/

Old 12-19-2017, 02:43 PM

34,177 posts, read 18,482,484 times
Don't know where you live but French Creek is about an hour from Philly in Chester, and Berks Counties. It has a nice trail system and is adjacent to another.

French Creek State Park

You can get to the Crow's Nest Preserve from trails at French Creek. I go to both of them a lot.

https://natlands.org/crows-nest-preserve/

Old 12-19-2017, 03:24 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,291,416 times
Quote:
We’ve been living in PA for 4 months now. We’ve come from the UK, settling in and acclimating is more challenging than we expected. I think it’s the common language that fooled us ��. We haven’t ventured outside the suburbs and city yet but we’re desperate to see the mountains.

Thank you in advance

ALSO! If you want to see some beautiful countryside, take a day trip to Lancaster, PA. The scenic route would be to travel along route 30 (not the turnpike). You will go through tons of beautiful farms, that are very unique and very 'Pennsylvania'. Make sure you continue on to downtown Lancaster. It is a lovely area. Do not go on a Sunday though, many places are closed.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:44 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,458,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You've probably noticed that weather reports state that there's more snow north & west of the city. Those are the same directions where you'll find mountains. You could check for trails in the Pine Barrens, but the area is flat. At this time of year, I'd suggest taking a drive to see some mountains, but do hiking in Fairmont Park or the Pine Barrens.

If you want, in the warmer seasons, you might enjoy checking out the Appalachian Trail, & hiking segments of it. I wouldn't suggest that you try it in the winter.
The Pinelands/Pine Barrens are close to Philly (an hour or less from Center City) but as noted above, very flat (also, since the trails thread through the forest, there aren't any views). But you do have the Batona Trail http://www.nj.gov/dep/parksandforest...atona14web.pdf, among others. Not a challenging hike, but kind to the knees. It's also kind of cool to know that you're walking through a 1/2 million acre preserve that's in the 1st or 2nd most densely populated state. It's my favorite 'get away from it all' place in the 2 hour driving time radius that I use for day trips. Beautiful during the cranberry harvest (Sep/Oct), and a huge producer of blueberries (Hammonton has an annual festival). The region was being considered for a massive planned development - city, international airport, etc. - in the 60's but a coalition of Greens Before Their Times squelched that. It also helped that John McPhee was on their side, writing his classic "The Pine Barrens" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pine_Barrens), aiding the region's defense.
Have a bird's eye look: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6974...=en&authuser=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia