Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 07:18 PM

30,864 posts, read 36,783,047 times

Advertisements

I know parts of Northeast Philly are not what they used to be. I know where I grew up in the lower part of Lawncrest is a semi-ghetto now (some would say it's totally ghetto).

It seemed like Fox Chase was holding up pretty well compared to some other neighborhoods in the Lower Northeast, but I wonder if that's beginning to change. I saw some recent pictures of boarded up houses in Fox Chase in recent google pictures here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0611...7i13312!8i6656

And here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0617...7i13312!8i6656

Both of these are within 1 block of each other. It could just be a fluke, but it kind of looks like a bad sign.

Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 05:13 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,690,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I know parts of Northeast Philly are not what they used to be. I know where I grew up in the lower part of Lawncrest is a semi-ghetto now (some would say it's totally ghetto).

It seemed like Fox Chase was holding up pretty well compared to some other neighborhoods in the Lower Northeast, but I wonder if that's beginning to change. I saw some recent pictures of boarded up houses in Fox Chase in recent google pictures here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0611...7i13312!8i6656

And here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0617...7i13312!8i6656

Both of these are within 1 block of each other. It could just be a fluke, but it kind of looks like a bad sign.

Opinions?
No one, especially on this board, talks much about Fox Chase/Burholme. So dunno... I always liked it around there and being next to Elkins Park/Melrose Park was a plus, imo. The Cancer Center has in international footprint so as long as the main campus stays on Cottman Ave. I'm not sure if there's sufficient evidence to worry about the neighborhood.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:35 AM

11,999 posts, read 12,862,455 times
It looks like the boarded up restaurant could have had a fire or something. Fox Chase seems to still be a nice neighborhood. Some really beautiful blocks there. Closer to Oxford Circle/Lawncrest still may be declining somewhat.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:18 AM

745 posts, read 449,906 times
I would consider that neighborhood to be Burholme, not Fox Chase. The corner property used to be Paese Pizza, which must have been there for 25+ years and then there was something else there briefly so I wouldn’t be overly concerned by the vacant commercial property. I think the other home is coincidentally in the vicinity. Maybe there was a fire or a reno which is causing the windows to be boarded up. I don’t recall seeing any boarded up homes in the area. But I will say that while that area is pretty stable now, it may not be in 10 years (but I guess you could say that about any neighborhood.)

Old 12-21-2017, 11:30 AM

2,527 posts, read 2,643,746 times
I feel like Fox Chase in enclosed by a lot of so-so areas, and not convenient to go to many other places. So, while I don't think it will go bad unless the Cancer center shuts down, I don't see it getting better.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:05 PM

73 posts, read 79,797 times
I lived on the other side of Verree in Fox Chase from the late 60s until early 80s and I'm sure it's still nice. Pennypack Park was right behind our house. Our neighborhood looked nothing at all like those two pictures. Homes were much newer compared to the pictured ones and all brick. I lived within walking distance of Knowlton Mansion at Verree and Rhawn.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harriet1954 View Post
I lived on the other side of Verree in Fox Chase from the late 60s until early 80s and I'm sure it's still nice. Pennypack Park was right behind our house. Our neighborhood looked nothing at all like those two pictures. Homes were much newer compared to the pictured ones and all brick. I lived within walking distance of Knowlton Mansion at Verree and Rhawn.
I used to go to a dentist not far from that mansion at Veree/Strahle back in the mid to late 1980s. At that time, I lived in he suburbs but was impressed at how pleasant a neighborhood it was. But that was a long time ago and things change. Hopefully it will stay nice.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
I feel like Fox Chase in enclosed by a lot of so-so areas, and not convenient to go to many other places. So, while I don't think it will go bad unless the Cancer center shuts down, I don't see it getting better.
Yes, a lot of the areas around Fox Chase used to be nicer when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
It looks like the boarded up restaurant could have had a fire or something. Fox Chase seems to still be a nice neighborhood. Some really beautiful blocks there. Closer to Oxford Circle/Lawncrest still may be declining somewhat.
Yeah, the rest of the surrounding neighborhood still looks nice. So I hope it's just a fluke.

I know that Lawncrest has certainly declined. It was never upscale, but I hear the part below Levick and east of Rising Sun where I grew up is really ghetto-ish now.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harriet1954 View Post
Well, of course the houses would've been much newer looking 40 years ago. I hope you are right that the neighborhood will stay nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia