Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 05:19 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I am very in tune with market forces, business development and projections. The city is already outpacing NYC and Boston in terms of job growth gains compared year over year. People love to focus on the negatives, but month by month Philadelphia is slowly moving forward. Once that new Comcast tower opens I call it Philadelphia 3.0. And it will be all about job growth. The energy hub is a MAJOR deal, I have been following it for quite a while. And the opportunity cost by a few is worth the economic development and opportunities. Pennsylvania has more natural gas than Russia. Think about that for a second. Currently all that gas is shipped down to TX, because that is where the infrastructure exists today.

This pipeline is such a big deal, they are building a second one worth billions before the first one is even finished. And yes I am a realist with a positive outlook. This article is a few years old, but it summarizes it well.

https://www.cnbc.com/2014/11/15/-sur...y-hotspot.html
It's not so much focusing on negatives. It's being alive for decades longer than you and seeing pie-in-the-sky predictions fizzle out time and time again.

If I see real growth in the population( not the anemic growth we've experienced) or I see the city lose its poorest large city status then there's a better chance of me thinking you have been right.

You're not the only one who has posted that job growth here has outpaced NY and Boston. If it's true why aren't people flocking here in larger numbers?

And Comcast lost its bid to pick up 21st Century Fox. Where's their growth going to come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
PA, and the USA can be a net energy exporter. The pipelines are a huge deal, and will be a big economic benefit to PA, and the region.
Aren't we(US) an exporter already?

Old 12-29-2017, 07:05 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
second only to Texas for natural gas. There are new pipelines, but the overall business has turned extremely unprofitable since the oil price crash. Philadelphia Energy Solutions is teetering on bankruptcy with pretty consistent credit declines. The fossil fuel industry is on it's way out. Saudi Arabia and the UAE announced yesterday they were adding a 5% VAT on everything. The allure of the tax free paradise in the desert was a lie, probably in the same way people say Philly is going to be an energy capital. Unless of course, we took the time to invest in real future energy technology, than maybe we could.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
second only to Texas for natural gas. There are new pipelines, but the overall business has turned extremely unprofitable since the oil price crash. Philadelphia Energy Solutions is teetering on bankruptcy with pretty consistent credit declines. The fossil fuel industry is on it's way out. Saudi Arabia and the UAE announced yesterday they were adding a 5% VAT on everything. The allure of the tax free paradise in the desert was a lie.
Frankly, I trust what you say a whole lot more than some of what rowhouse says.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:28 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,314,343 times
Quote:
KYBO1 frankly you are insulting. I do not make false claims. I read a great deal of information, from news, to market trends, to industry findings, etc. If you seriously think Comcast needs 21st Century Fox to acquire growth, then you are not in tune with market forces, and really do not have a full understanding of what Comcast is and what the new CITC building is. Again if you educate yourself instead of insulting people who are aware of trends you would know;

"Comcast was ranked by CB Insights as the nation’s 4th most active
corporate startup investor, with stakes in 105 early-stage companies, including health care services startups. "

Here is another article: Comcast Ranked 4th Top Corporate Startup Investor in the World.

http://www.phillymag.com/business/20...up-investment/

The fact you are older, I would hope you would understand market forces take time, NOTHING changes over night. And the City of Philadelphia has been growing at a very healthy pace compared to our peer cities. We have $9 Billion dollars worth of major projects on the books in the city over the next 3 years. This is MAJOR stuff.

I am very in tune to the business climate here in Philadelphia and it is on the verge of a major growth cycle.
The U.S Chamber of Commerce ranked Philadelphia as the 3rd best tech start up city in the USA. #3!

#1) Bay Area
#2) Boston
#3) Philadelphia

I think many people live in silos and really have no idea the forces going on in the Philadelphia market right now, but it is quite impressive to be frank.

I encourage you to read the report; before you insult me.

https://40uy5g2te0h53zha643shzzp-wpe...ers-2017-2.pdf

Old 12-29-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
I think rowhomecity is on the right track. We did outpace a lot of the big cities in overall job growth last year including NYC. But looking at percentage increase is a little misleading if your job growth was already lower, but if you look at totals it was pretty good.

One thing I think that hurts 2017 Philly is the lack of hometown financial institutions. For all the flack they take, Banks tend to reinvestment money and take on more of a civic role compared to other industries.

While corporate consolidations have hurt the city imo, it has really helped the western suburbs. Newly minted Entercom is now the second largest radio company behind IheartRadio, Radial is the second largest logistics fulfillment company behind Amazon, QVC is the third largest e-commerce company now that they have merged with the Home Shopping network. Vanguard is approaching 5 trillion of assets being managed so they are breaking ground on a new 1600 person building. Amerisourcebergen, the largest fortune 50 company in our area, is looking to move it's HQs closer to the city. Most likely Conshohocken. Big things are definitely happening.

Philadelphia just needs to improve itself. Like pick up the trash on Girard, Washington, and Spring Garden lol. Like I feel like no Philadelphian realize how much first impressions when you get off the highway make for prospective investors or job creators. We got lots of really great things that aren't easily emulated such as great restaurant/bar scene, museums, sports, events, etc. all at reasonable prices that aren't sold out the first second.

I said this before, but after I spent a week in Chicago this summer, I came away feeling that one big difference between the two cities was in the way Chicagoan's weren't ashamed to brag and be proud of the great things they have. Philly is so much more muted. We often let the worst of us be the biggest mouthpieces.

Some interesting reading material:

Mulling a headquarters relocation, Entercom sets sights on Center City property

A Belgian company will buy KoP’s Radial in a $820M bid against Amazon

Forget Amazon HQ2. QVC is our e-commerce giant

AmerisourceBergen narrows its search for new office space

Old 12-29-2017, 08:04 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
PA may be, but the USA is not. We do export, but our NET energy balance of trade is negative, meaning we still import more than we export. Pipelines are key. One goes through my neighborhood, and they are installing a second one right next to it to go to Marcus Hook. Sunoco Mariner East Phase II pipeline.

Quote:
The United States could become a net exporter of energy by 2026 as domestic production rebounds and demand at home remains flat, the U.S. Energy Information Administration said Thursday in a new report.

In its Annual Energy Outlook 2017, the EIA sees a surge in natural gas exports and improvement in the trade balance of petroleum products causing the United States to become a net energy exporter by 2026. It would be the first time the nation held that status since 1953.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/05/unit...a-reports.html

Old 12-29-2017, 08:14 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,314,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
PA may be, but the USA is not. We do export, but our NET energy balance of trade is negative, meaning we still import more than we export. Pipelines are key. One goes through my neighborhood, and they are installing a second one right next to it to go to Marcus Hook. Sunoco Mariner East Phase II pipeline.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/05/unit...a-reports.html

Yea Pilot this is why I call myself a smart electorate and am a moderate. I am VERY MUCH PRO FRACKING. To think of the economic benefits the state will see from this. If we can continue to make production more efficient, and distribute within our own borders. Place a small tax; well then; Pennsylvania literally could return to its glory days as one of the wealthiest/most prosperous state in the nation.

We have more Natural Gas than Russia, we have the largest reserve in all the USA. If we place a small tax, but also encourage the industry to become more efficient and effective to increase production. Our budget woe days will forever be over. And maybe we can start programs that will improve the economic development of our state like: Free Community College; Create tax programs that encourage preservation and investment in our beautiful PA towns (many which are deteriorating); etc. etc. etc. We can begin to invest in our state and its people again. I see Natural Gas as a huge way to propel Pennsylvania forward; and make it rise on top; especially regionally within the Northeast.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Yea Pilot this is why I call myself a smart electorate and am a moderate. I am VERY MUCH PRO FRACKING. To think of the economic benefits the state will see from this. If we can continue to make production more efficient, and distribute within our own borders. Place a small tax; well then; Pennsylvania literally could return to its glory days as one of the wealthiest/most prosperous state in the nation.

We have more Natural Gas than Russia, we have the largest reserve in all the USA. If we place a small tax, but also encourage the industry to become more efficient and effective to increase production. Our budget woe days will forever be over. And maybe we can start programs that will improve the economic development of our state like: Free Community College; Create tax programs that encourage preservation and investment in our beautiful PA towns (many which are deteriorating); etc. etc. etc. We can begin to invest in our state and its people again. I see Natural Gas as a huge way to propel Pennsylvania forward; and make it rise on top; especially regionally within the Northeast.
The natural gas industry is not the future, it's the present. It's in shambles because the price is so slow. The GOP congress in Harrisburg would never levy a tax on it.

I think it's delusional to think it would fix the states tax problems anyway. Look at how the royalty case against Cabot has played out. Energy companies are the slimiest of all.

Shale gas promises don

These same type of companies came to PA 100 years ago, stripped the land of it's valuable resources, took the profits elsewhere, and let the towns die a slow death. It sounds like you want that to happen again.

Instead of being smart and investing in the future, people want to bet against innovation.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
KYBO1 frankly you are insulting.
You shouldn't take some of what I say so much to heart. It was never my intention to insult you. I apologize if you feel that way.

I'm trying to add some caution about some things you post about. Being an openly gay person and minority the truth is the Trump admin scares the crap out of me. How much have you factored in the current situation wrt the fed gov and the things you read about re local projections and forecasts?

Personally speaking...

Firstly, I deeply love my hometown and am very invested here spiritually and emotionally. I will spend the rest of my life here totally by choice. Secondly my family(both sides)has lived in the region, continuously, for over century. We all want to be here. So the future of Philly is extremely important to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia