Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 06:38 PM

372 posts, read 450,279 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I will be moving to Philly and wanted to get some info from people who live there or maybe have moved there from other places. Likes/dislikes and everything in between. I answered the questions provided in a sticky thread.

When are you moving?
- Possibly towards the end of 2018. Early 2019 at the latest. Not set in stone yet.

Where are you coming from?
-South Louisiana

Why are you moving?
- Well I have been in Louisiana all of about the 25 Years I’ve been alive lol and it’s time for a change. I am finishing my Master’s Degree in May this year and I am ready to experience somewhere else and possibly start a family if the northeast is good to me.

Where will you be working?
- My masters degree is in social work. I am hoping to get hired before I move. Maybe at a hospital or some other counseling agency. I ultimately want to work in the school system as a school social worker. Opportunities should be abundant in the field of social work I hope? My boyfriend would be finishing his undergrad in business and is planning to get a real estate license as well. I’m not sure what real estate jobs are like there but hopefully he will have plenty of job opportunities with a business degree.

Have you been here yet?
- I have never been to the Northeast. I don’t know much besides there are a lot of people and big cities. Oh and it gets cold. Maybe someone could tell me more about the region and culture. Especially around Philadelphia of course.

Will you buy or rent?
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?
-This is still up in the air. We go back and forth between buying and renting and don’t have a clear picture of what our budget will be. But we think 1500 if we rent. If we decide to buy I don’t see us going over 400k for a home. If I had to guess we would have a household income of 80-100k. Since we would be moving for the first time we may rent and look around but I would like to rent a home possibly rather than apt.

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb?
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here: //www.city-data.com/forum/phila...-philadelphia/)
- Pennsylvania. However if there was a better deal across the river then NJ is okay.

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
- We’re a gay couple. Pretty young. I’m about to be 25 and my bf is going to be 28 soon. No kids. But we are hoping to change that soon so we could have one by time we move or not.

Do you prefer public or private schools?
- Public

Do you have pets?
- Nope
Do you want or need a yard?
I prefer a yard

Are you keeping a car?
-Yes we will both have cars

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
-Middle of the road I guess but a nice active community.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations
- Basic services and trains/subways

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
- I prefer a diverse neighborhood. However, that doesn’t mean I need to be surrounded by gay people just because I am. But I would like a nice accepting neighborhood with a good mix of people. I know about the gayborhood. I don’t need that. Just somewhere we would feel comfortable for young gay African American men. I don’t have family there so I would like to be able to make friends and mingle with people who are different and the same. Would be nice if there were friendly people who would show us the city and give us tips.

Favorite Beverage - Craft Beer, wine, water?
- Out of these I guess wine. I don’t drink beer.

We are planning a trip to visit possible in a couple months to look around and get a feel for the area. So I’m hoping we find a gem of a place. Tell me where to get the best cheesesteaks and cool neat places to visit. We love to be active so we would love to experience a lot of fun things to do in the area! Also nice neighborhoods and pretty suburban areas. Best restaurants etc etc.We chose philly because it seemed to be the cheapest big city area in the Northeast. It’s okay that’s it’s not all clean and polished. I like a place with character and some grit to it. I love it’s location and proximity to many things to do and see.

Thanks guys!

Old 01-03-2018, 07:13 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,315,098 times
Well first off I should say Philadelphia and Southeast Pennsylvania is quite a charming place and I am sure you will quickly fall in love

You have a comfortable timeline, budget and both are in healthy growing industries so you should have no problem with making a transition. Philadelphia is definitely the most approachable of the major Northeast cities and also the most affordable as well. One great thing about Philadelphia is that we have tons of character, overall are quite friendly but know how to keep it real. Which makes for a really great balance and in my mind means we tend to be more impressionable than people from NYC and DC.

$1500 for a one bedroom affords quite a few options, anything from Center City to some of the 'hip' neighborhoods surrounding Center City.

Since you have never been here before, and have the ability to do that I think your best bet is to come and visit in the spring, once the winter cold spell breaks, and really get a feel for the city by spending a weekend here. There is so much to see and do, from all the historic attractions, to all the public art (Philadelphia has more public art than any city in the USA), to all the culture attractions, live music venues, restaurants, etc. There literally is always something going on.

The PA suburbs are also full of so much character and history and I am sure you will find them delightful when you return for a second visit and/or once you relocate.

A great time to visit is for the Cherry Blossom festival. Fairmount Park (the largest urban park in the nation) runs along the Schuylkill River and has a yearly festival that highlights the beauty of the Cherry Blossom blooms. There are other events and venues in the spring that might also pique your interest.

I think once you spend a weekend here you will really get the hands on experience and feel for the city, and then can have a better idea of maybe exactly what you are looking for in a neighborhood in the city.

One thing to note. Philadelphia is a very dense city, so if you both are looking to keep your cars and live in the city, this could be a major challenge. Typically a 2 person household either shares one vehicle, has no vehicle or will pay monthly for parking privileges. Southeast Pennsylvania has a solid public transit system and Philadelphia is one of the most walkable major cities in the USA, so getting by with one car is typically not a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 07:26 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,315,098 times
Also to give you some idea on housing stock since you have not been here, Philadelphia is a city of rowhomes. They are attached, largely single family dwellings (although many are multi - family; meaning they have been split into 2- 3 apartment units). Some offer a small outdoor space in the back (but not all).

This image kind of gives you an idea of what this looks like. There are outlaying neighborhoods in the city that do provide detached housing with full yards, or attached housing with a more substantial yard. I find though these communities largely cater to families. You will really have a stronger perspective once you visit

Here is a link to give you an idea of what to expect. (also why parking is limited to the street mostly).

https://www.google.com/search?biw=13...ozwifEzdy4dGM:

Old 01-03-2018, 07:48 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Buy a really good coat. And a hat and scarf. The first winter is going to feel really cold.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:02 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
OP, just to let you know....there are 4 openly gay posters who are regulars on this board. I'm one of them. It may feel like a scary move but you will get some great and useful advise.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:30 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,682,196 times
I would recommend consider renting a car or using ride sharing such as Lyft to begin with. If you don't know where you will work and can afford it, I would recommend living as close to the city center as you can. Generally speaking, the closer you live, the less space you have. That is something else you will have to get used to.

Philadelphia is not a good place to have two cars let alone one unless you have a decent amount of funds to work with. Even then, your situation may garner better not to have a car. It's definitely possible to not have a car. Many people do it. Whether a person wants to do it or not is another matter. I can't say I'm one of these people who want to given a choice, lol.

You may want to consider living in a suburban or suburban like area. You might like Wynnefield Heights, East Falls, or Roxborough if you want to keep two cars or even one. Just rent because you may need to move cause of where your job(s) are.

Being in the suburbs, you aren't as close to lgbt friendly venues and such. That is somewhat changing in some cases. Conshohocken tends to be an affordable suburb and maybe King of Prussia depending on where you live, but commutes to the city by car are very congested.

Clark Park area is worth considering too, though that's much harder to park than the other areas I mentioned.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Buy a really good coat. And a hat and scarf. The first winter is going to feel really cold.
I was looking at the weather and saw how cold it was there and it’s almost intimidating but I guess it’s because I have never experienced single digit temperatures. Lol I’m excited and scared at the same time. But I really want to have the snow so I will manage!

Old 01-04-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Also to give you some idea on housing stock since you have not been here, Philadelphia is a city of rowhomes. They are attached, largely single family dwellings (although many are multi - family; meaning they have been split into 2- 3 apartment units). Some offer a small outdoor space in the back (but not all).

This image kind of gives you an idea of what this looks like. There are outlaying neighborhoods in the city that do provide detached housing with full yards, or attached housing with a more substantial yard. I find though these communities largely cater to families. You will really have a stronger perspective once you visit

Here is a link to give you an idea of what to expect. (also why parking is limited to the street mostly).

https://www.google.com/search?biw=13...ozwifEzdy4dGM:
Thank you for your responses. I have been looking at the rowhomes and it is definitely something I would need to get used to. Being from Louisiana I’m a country boy meaning I am use to open spaces, yards, and not being so shoulder to shoulder. My first choice would be detached housing with a yard. A little space you know. Or privacy? Anybody can give any info on what it’s like living in these types of houses?

Old 01-04-2018, 11:25 PM

385 posts, read 401,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post
Thank you for your responses. I have been looking at the rowhomes and it is definitely something I would need to get used to. Being from Louisiana I’m a country boy meaning I am use to open spaces, yards, and not being so shoulder to shoulder. My first choice would be detached housing with a yard. A little space you know. Or privacy? Anybody can give any info on what it’s like living in these types of houses?
Hmmm....well living in a rowhome there is the possibility to hear what is going on next door lol. Not even being on some nosy trip lol. The rowhomes 95% are old. Like early 1920's-1930's and some may be a little later. Most have radiators for the heat (Radiators are a antique , no one makes them anymore unless you pay the $$$) they make it very warm during those cold winter nights. Some rowhomes are big and spacious and some are small and tight, but very doable. I would say in my opinion i feel rowhomes are naturally comforting in a sense , depending on design taste on the interior.

Also you want to get a big winter coat. Key word for winter is "LAYERS" ...GLOVES, HAT, SCARF...AND BOOTS (To keep feet warm and when it snow...snow boots that will protect your feet)

Far as the gay scene hmmm idk. I'd say anywhere just make sure whom you surround yourself with are good and have good vibes with you and your partner....they might be a little crazy idk lol. But there is gayborhood. Pretty compact but its own thing ya know. I like it. It's our place to release and have fun after a crazy day.

I think you should spend a few days here and try to get a feel for it , instead of a weekend. Ride the subways, trolleys , and get your feel. I feel if you can ride the subway you can make it anywhere lol. But just embrace all that is here.

Philadelphia is really a place of everything...you get alot of personality, wit, charm, upfront, raw all at once.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:18 AM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
I'm another of those four openly gay posters on this forum, and like you and kyb01, I'm also African-American.

This city has a reputation for being one of the most segregated big cities in the country*, but despite that, you will find several neighborhoods in this city where diversity is welcomed and encouraged.

The best-known of them is up my way in Northwest Philadelphia: Mt. Airy, the neighborhood up the road from Germantown. Back when the children of the Second Great Migration were making their presence felt in Philadelphia and the white folks were scurrying away from their advance through much of the city, a handful of real estate agents in Mt. Airy said, "We're not going to encourage our neighbors to flee. Instead, we will welcome the new arrivals." And they got their neighbors to go along. Mt. Airy today is about 65/35 African-American/white, with a small Asian presence and a nearly nonexistent Hispanic one, but it retains and cherishes its reputation for friendliness, diversity and tolerance. It's also where the weekly LGBTQ "chat 'n' chew" for Northwest Philly residents (above the Wissahickon: Germantown, Mt. Airy, Chestnut Hill) meets on Tuesday evenings at a popular Germantown Avenue brewpub.

Another well-known one is Cedar Park in West Philadelphia, on the southwestern edge of University City. This neighborhood is just about 50/50 black/white and has a cool and funky vibe similar to but a little more eclectic than that of Mt. Airy. It sits on the border of a part of the city where many immigrants from Africa have settled, and some of those have opened some excellent restaurants along its main shopping street, Baltimore Avenue. If you've never had Ethiopian food, I highly recommend you visit one of the city's oldest and best-known purveyors of it, Dahlak, in the 4700 block of Baltimore. This cuisine is made for sharing with friends: the dishes, mostly stews, are served on large pieces of spongy flat bread called injera that you use to scoop them up with. The neighborhood public school that serves part of this neighborhood, Penn Alexander, is one of the best in the city - and it's so oversubscribed that there's a lottery to get in it if you live in its catchment.

Washington Square West, where you will find the Gayborhood (and where I lived from 1983, when I moved to Philadelphia, until 2011, when I decamped for the Lower Northeast neighborhood of Oxford Circle), is less black than either of the above two neighborhoods but also has a reputation for diversity, in part because of the presence of the Gayborhood. It's probably the most income-diverse of all Center City neighborhoods, thanks to the presence of several housing complexes that house lower-income adults and seniors in it as well as its large student population (Thomas Jefferson University is smack in the middle of it, and the University of the Arts lies on its west edge), and you're more likely to find rental housing here than in the other two neighborhoods (Philadelphia has long been an outlier among American cities for its high rate of homeownership), but it also has the highest rents of the three I've mentioned so far. You will also find keeping two cars in it an expensive proposition, and if you decide to settle in it, you may end up deciding to ditch both. My Phillymag colleague Ernest Owens has made racism in the Gayborhood his signature issue as editor of our LGBTQ channel, "G Philly," and it's earned him both fans and critics, but I would suggest you read some of his articles during the runup to your move to get a feel for what you might expect to find, keeping in mind that he's more of a nationalist than I am (I'm firmly in the integrationist camp).

I'd also put in a good word for Germantown itself, which I've come to fall in love with over the nearly five years I've lived here. If you look at its median household income stats, you'll find that it's poorer than the other neighborhoods I've listed here, but it's the most income-diverse neighborhood in the city. It's also the city's most historically rich neighborhood aside from the Historic Square Mile (encompassing Old City and Society Hill) itself. You can still find many affordable apartments and homes up this way; while the cheapest ones are in somewhat sketchy areas (I live in one of these), you'll generally find that if you know what you're doing, you'll not get hassled. There's a sizable black middle class population here and a non-trivial LGBTQ one, and everyone up this way, black, white, rich, poor, other, strives mightily to get along with everyone else. It's also a neighborhood on the rebound, so if you move here, you will find yourself on the cusp of change.

Many consider moving to Northwest Philadelphia akin to moving to Siberia, but its neighborhoods are very green - there are many sections where twins instead of rowhouses dominate - and you might even find a house where you can keep both your cars (though why you'd want to do that is beyond me). It has very good transit connections to the rest of the city as well - I can be at City Hall in 30 minutes via bus and subway or via Regional Rail.

You'll find diverse but IMO less physically attractive communities in South Philly too, especially East Passyunk, parts of which have become the Gayborhood South. The Lower Northeast, where I spent 18 months, is the city's immigrant magnet now; I don't find it as appealing as the other neighborhoods I've mentioned, but I wouldn't warn you away from it as some hereabouts might.

Hope this also helps fill your information bucket.

*But it's nowhere near as segregated as my beloved forever hometown of Kansas City, Mo., which has a bright dividing line separating its overwhelmingly white west side from its just about all-black east side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia