Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 10:09 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post

Legalization is the only sensible path forward. Stop wasting resources policing this stuff.
I've always believed that legalization is the answer since prohibition does not work. Trying to prohibit alcohol didn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Put it in Jim Kenney’s house lol.

Seriously though, seeing the way the city implements other services, I fully expect this to be a flaming disaster that only gives off the perception that you should come do drugs in Philadelphia.

But let’s hope I am wrong.
Calling 311 does work. My sister uses it a lot and gets action from it.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:12 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,183,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Well that's just not true-in historical context prohibition is not the norm. Cannabis especially has been legal for like 99.9% of human existence. The War on "Drugs" has been a terrible experiment by any measure-people will look back in history at it as barbaric and inhumane-isolating people in cages for possessing a plant is insanity, and we now have the knowledge that the longest and costliest war in US history was waged to specifically target and disenfranchise minorities and other maligned groups.

Bayer actually used to manufacture and sell heroin over the counter in the US. Portugal has legalized all drugs with very positive results-less addicts, less ods, greater access to treatment, etc. It makes sense-the black market fosters a system of violence and death. The products are unregulated with unknown potency and filled with dangerous cuts leading to large numbers of overdoses. Violence stems from drug cartels and gangs that would all but be eliminated with legalization and regulation. You have to have an open mind to think past all the bull**** that has been programmed in so many for decades. Nobody is saying it will solve all drug problems, especially addiction itself, but with legalization comes greater access to treatment and less of a stigma for addicts to actually seek out help without fear of punishment.

I can't rep you again, so I'm quoting to say...Right on!

Old 01-24-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Idk how you could believe that. Every country/empire that ever legalized opioids, failed miserably.

China use to hold mass executions of drug dealers even though it was and still is legal to produce there. This idea it would stop the problem is... wrong to say the least in my opinion.
Offer an alternative.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:29 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Offer an alternative.
Hmm let’s see. Considering I get offered drugs every single time I take the El or BSL, I would say actual policing Philadelphia would be a good start. Openly selling drugs should be the number one thing to crackdown on.

“Scripts scripts. Come on white boy”

Old 01-24-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Calling 311 does work. My sister uses it a lot and gets action from it.
I kept a spreadsheet last year.

Of the 36 requests I made to Philadelphia 311, 14 were completed.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:44 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
Decriminalization is a completely different topic than NOT safe Injection Sites (no place where you shoot up the dangerous drug is ‘safe’. It’s ignorant to even call it that).

2e1m5a, since you are such a big supporter, where should the OD clinic go?

This topic really fires me up. Two more people I grew up with passed away last week. It hurts knowing how their families grieve, how their children will never know their dad more than a guy who died from drugs.

Now Philly wants to make it even easier to get hooked! Come on down, meet the ‘recovery’ experts who will direct you to a new dealer, meet some gangbangers who will rape your gf as they rob you of your money that you probably stole from your family! Make sure to keep the ghettos of Philly a living hell.

You know what works? Destroying the ‘open air drugs market’. You know the last failed social experiment. People said the same things about open air drug markets that you say about Safe Injection Sites. People said the open drug market would stop ODs and stop HIV from spreading. In reality, it has ruined the lower northeast (all the northeast plus Lower bucks?) and helped contribute to an entire generation of people’s addiction.

The site will probably go where or near Prevention Point is now on Kensington Avenue. It's probably not fair, but that is where the largest heroin market is on The East Coast and the ground zero for drug addiction in Phila. There are methadone clinics in Center City-maybe over time we will see more opening but that will take time.

I don't ever remember hearing anybody anywhere say that open air illegal drug markets would lessen deaths or usage-or be of any help other than confining those involved--these markets arise from prohibition and are completely tied in with War on "Drugs" policy. There will always be a market (illegal or not) for products that have a demand. That is just a simple fact that some will have to accept. Some of us want to implement harm reduction and have some control over the market--much like alcohol, cigarettes and marijuana in legal states--rather than allow things to fester and destroy society as we have for decades. If more people knew how involved the CIA and our Government are in the illegal drug trade more would be demanding an end to this terror--I honestly don't know how anybody could support things as they are now--which is what you and others are doing whether you know it or not. I know many people that have overdosed on drugs-including my cousin on fent laced heroin. Believe me, I support what I support because I know it will help addicts and society at whole and lessen overdose deaths and drug trade violence. It will also put an end to "The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in America".

Old 01-24-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Hmm let’s see. Considering I get offered drugs every single time I take the El or BSL, I would say actual policing Philadelphia would be a good start. Openly selling drugs should be the number one thing to crackdown on.

“Scripts scripts. Come on white boy”
I hear you. But this is an emotional reaction from you. Not a solution to a protracted problem of why people want to use, do use and will continue to use no matter what law enforcement does. Trump thinks, in part, that building a wall between us and Mexico will keep drugs out. No, it won't. Drones will fly them in which is probably already going on.

Making alcohol illegal via a Constitutional amendment was a colossal failure. All it did was entrench organized crime. We gave up and allowed the legal sale of booze again. A wise decision.

My solution is to create drug bars. That's right. Allow entrepreneurs to open up legal places where people can consume drugs without fear and tax the hell out it. Remove as many criminals as possible from the supply chain.

Alcohol kills 2.5 million Americans each year. Not a concern to you probably since alcohol is legal nowadays.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I hear you. But this is an emotional reaction from you. Not a solution to a protracted problem of why people want to use, do use and will continue to use no matter what law enforcement does. Trump thinks, in part, that building a wall between us and Mexico will keep drugs out. No, it won't. Drones will fly them in which is probably already going on.

Making alcohol illegal via a Constitutional amendment was a colossal failure. All it did was entrench organized crime. We gave up and allowed the legal sale of booze again. A wise decision.

My solution is to create drug bars. That's right. Allow entrepreneurs to open up legal places where people can consume drugs without fear and tax the hell out it. Remove as many criminals as possible from the supply chain.

Alcohol kills 2.5 million Americans each year. Not a concern to you probably since alcohol is legal nowadays.
The easier drugs are to get, the more people will do them. Restrict access, less people will do it. It’s always funny to me how liberal people are all for restricting access to guns but when it comes to drugs it’s a free for all. Like how does that add up in your head? You think less guns means less murders but more drugs means less ODs?

Saying there should be herion bars like alcohol serving ones is ignorant to the fact that Herion is multitudes deadlier and way more addicative than alcohol or mj.

The OD clinics should be in NW Philadelphia in either East Falls or the western portion of Germantown. These are the people who wanted these policies, Time to reap what you sow.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
The easier drugs are to get, the more people will do them. Restrict access, less people will do it. It’s always funny to me how liberal people are all for restricting access to guns but when it comes to drugs it’s a free for all. Like how does that add up in your head? You think less guns means less murders but more drugs means less ODs?
Did restricting access to alcohol stop people from using it? No. Same thing with drugs. I have personal experience about what alcohol can do to people because my best friend and a former partner of mine are recovering alcoholics. But that fact does not mean I want to stop people who drink alcohol.

I'm a strict constitutionalist in some very specific ways.Especially about the Bill of Rights. I'm not for restricting legal use of guns since the 2nd amendment says private citizens can own them. Lots of liberals own guns.

We already have an example through our own history how over zealous people tried to force people to stop using alcohol. Cigarettes kill innocent people. Alcohol kills innocent people. Where is your outrage about those things?

Look I don't like that people use drugs but it's not my right to stop them either.

Lots of people are not going to behave if you try to remove something they want. Do you honestly believe restricting use of drugs will stop the need?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia