Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 06:51 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,971 times

Advertisements

put them in society hill, chestnut hill and rittenhouse square. Or maybe next to mayor McDrunks house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Safe injection sites to fight opioid overdose deaths get green light from Philadelphia officials

I think this is the only way forward-and commend those that have worked hard to make harm-reduction a priority. Now the only question is, where will it go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 07:20 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
put them in society hill, chestnut hill and rittenhouse square. Or maybe next to mayor McDrunks house.
Sounds good. Plus one smack dab in the middle of Plymouth Meeting. A KOP Mall-sized version.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:47 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,971 times
they don't stay in Plymouth Meeting. they go to the city because heroin is cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Sounds good. Plus one smack dab in the middle of Plymouth Meeting. A KOP Mall-sized version.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
they don't stay in Plymouth Meeting. they go to the city because heroin is cheaper.
Well, our suburban customers might be better served with a shorter commute rather than having a large, never-ending opioid convention in the city.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:01 PM

744 posts, read 775,614 times
Good article in Billy Penn:

https://billypenn.com/2018/01/31/5-c...t-philly-cues/

Old 02-14-2018, 02:17 PM

617 posts, read 538,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Safe injection sites to fight opioid overdose deaths get green light from Philadelphia officials

I think this is the only way forward-and commend those that have worked hard to make harm-reduction a priority. Now the only question is, where will it go?
Cannot solve opioid problem, which is an addiction, even one uses correct dose he/she will eventually die, human body was not meant to sustain such drugs for long period of times.

The real solution would be to force health industry to stop prescribing these drugs to wide public, those drugs were never meant to be used as pain killers, only as last resort medicine. But this solution is unlikely to pass, big pharma and its distributors has corrupted US government to the point that it completely failed to protect the people from corporation greed.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:35 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
Cannot solve opioid problem, which is an addiction, even one uses correct dose he/she will eventually die, human body was not meant to sustain such drugs for long period of times.

The real solution would be to force health industry to stop prescribing these drugs to wide public, those drugs were never meant to be used as pain killers, only as last resort medicine. But this solution is unlikely to pass, big pharma and its distributors has corrupted US government to the point that it completely failed to protect the people from corporation greed.
The bolded is actually not true-opiates do not have toxicity like say alcohol or tobacco, and really the only health hazard with medical grade opiates (assuming one is only taking what is prescribed) is addiction itself-which is a major hazard and risk, don't get me wrong, but that scenario is umpteenth times better than fentanyl and carfentanyl on the streets in unknown quantities like bathtub gin killing people during alcohol prohibition. An addict has to BE ALIVE to get help and get clean. It's all so frustrating because the lessons and mistakes are recorded in history--yet society somehow always overlooks the past and just charges on doing the same Bull--****

And yes-to your last sentence. Our Government has been bought and owned by various corporate/banking factions for decades--it is killing our democracy and our nation. But it is a story that is happening in Governments across the World-and is probably one as old as time. But it has never been so bad in recent history--Today of the 100 largest economies in the World--there are more nationless corporations/banks than whole nations of people. One of the provisions of the now dead TPP was to allow nationless corporations/banks to sue whole nations of people for loss in profit.

The War on 'Drugs' has been an epic failure. I was just reading some of the crimes the Police Officers in Baltimore were charged with--disgusting horrible people that ruined so many lives. It makes me sick.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
I hope that everyone reads this article. The problem with getting support for a SIS, like most topics, is that people are very under educated on what it is, how it works, and what the results have been in existing implementations. This one in particular:

Quote:
Misconception 4: It will hurt Philly neighborhoods
Some residents have expressed their concerns about having the facility in their neighborhoods. Several in the Kensington community told PMN they fear a CUES will bring more opioid users to the area, and thereby increase public drug use.

However, Farley said, evidence from Vancouver shows these sites tend to relieve neighborhood problems associated with drug use, not the opposite.

“It reduces the amount of needles on the ground, [and] it reduces the amount of people who are seen injecting in public,” Farley said. “Both of those make perfect sense, because that behavior is now happening indoors.”

When Farley visited Vancouver a few months ago to tour the city’s safe-injection site, he said he stumbled upon the facility by accident. He didn’t even realize what it was.

“People may have a view that this is somehow going to be a big draw in the neighborhood, that it’s going to be a big change,” Farley said. “Once it’s there…it’s just another storefront.”

Old 02-15-2018, 09:58 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times
This is going to be an uphill fight. State attorney General has already said there would have to be major changes to state and local laws to allow this and that even though the city attorney general would not prosecute people using it, the state would have no problem doing so.

I'm not a fan of the premise. Philly is not Vancouver. Canada is not America. Do I want one in my neck of the woods? absolutely not.
My second problem is this, why do they think bringing the addicts to a safe place is going to induce them to go into treatment? we have been bombarded with information on how addicts can get help. are they going to sign up quicker because you hand them a pamphlet and allow them to shoot up?

just me.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:23 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
This is going to be an uphill fight. State attorney General has already said there would have to be major changes to state and local laws to allow this and that even though the city attorney general would not prosecute people using it, the state would have no problem doing so.

I'm not a fan of the premise. Philly is not Vancouver. Canada is not America. Do I want one in my neck of the woods? absolutely not.
My second problem is this, why do they think bringing the addicts to a safe place is going to induce them to go into treatment? we have been bombarded with information on how addicts can get help. are they going to sign up quicker because you hand them a pamphlet and allow them to shoot up?

just me.
It has been shown that drug addiction is more often than not caused by a lack of human connection/bonding. I think building communities where addicts feel safe and bridging the gap is a major step in helping them. This is no final solution-not even close, but it is a step in the right direction which is notable considering our attitude and policy toward drugs and drug addiction for decades. I also want to see non-violent drug offenders released from prison and their records cleared before corporations monopolize the cannabis market. I think people will come around as 2017 overdose numbers are released-this epidemic has not even peaked yet- it is truly frightening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia