Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 01:11 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,836,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I'm not a fan of the premise. Philly is not Vancouver. Canada is not America. Do I want one in my neck of the woods? absolutely not.
My second problem is this, why do they think bringing the addicts to a safe place is going to induce them to go into treatment? we have been bombarded with information on how addicts can get help. are they going to sign up quicker because you hand them a pamphlet and allow them to shoot up?

just me.
First, you don't place a safe injection site in a neighborhood that is not having visible issues. In other words, Fitler Square isn't going to suddenly receive a SIS. They would be located in places where drug use is rampant in the streets and it reduce the number of used needles lying on the ground, public usage (e.g. in front of children), alongside other previously difficult issues. Neighborhoods that would receive a SIS would only realize less impact than they are currently dealing with.

Second, American Exceptionalism is not a good excuse for avoiding a concept that has worked other places. Name some reasons you think it wouldn't work here that is a result of America being different than Canada. What are those relevant differences and why would SIS fail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 02:05 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,541,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
It has been shown that drug addiction is more often than not caused by a lack of human connection/bonding. I think building communities where addicts feel safe and bridging the gap is a major step in helping them. This is no final solution-not even close, but it is a step in the right direction which is notable considering our attitude and policy toward drugs and drug addiction for decades. I also want to see non-violent drug offenders released from prison and their records cleared before corporations monopolize the cannabis market. I think people will come around as 2017 overdose numbers are released-this epidemic has not even peaked yet- it is truly frightening.
well the drug addict in my family had human bonding and connection until he burned every bridge. When he left his 6 month old baby on a subway platform in an effort to get crack, that sort of made his wife mad. imagine that.

When he came into my house and stole every single thing including my kids open box of coco krispies that ended my connection.

When he went to my grandmothers nursing home to supposedly "visit", took her outside for some fresh air while his addict friend cleaned out her room including the wheel chair, that pretty much preventing more bonding.

Yeah addicts will feel safe while they steal, lie, cause harm to anyone and everyone around you in order to get their fix.

I lived with an addict in my family for 22 years straight. YOu know when he got clean and sober when every CONNECTION was broken and he had no one to turn too.

fine you move them next to you. I've had my experience making an addict feel "safe". I don't give a rats backside if they feel "safe".
listen I sorry this opiod epidemic is out of control but I do not feel any need to jeopardize the safety and well being of my neighborhood because they want to get high.

I think we have done a really good job getting the information out that addicts can get treatment. giving them a warm and fuzzy spot to shoot up is not going to do a darn thing to make them go to rehab.

So when you say "worked" in other places, are you saying that the addicts got off of drugs or just needles were no longer on the street? now if you can force them to go to rehab, that is a different story and I do recognize that we have a crisis, I think I read some where that we had almost 1200 overdoses in Philly last year.

Lastly who's paying for all these professionals that will man these safe injection spots. the article says no taxpayer dollars will go to run these sites? so how will they get funded?

Last edited by eliza61nyc; 02-15-2018 at 02:15 PM..

Old 02-16-2018, 08:53 AM

11,999 posts, read 12,860,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
well the drug addict in my family had human bonding and connection until he burned every bridge. When he left his 6 month old baby on a subway platform in an effort to get crack, that sort of made his wife mad. imagine that.

When he came into my house and stole every single thing including my kids open box of coco krispies that ended my connection.

When he went to my grandmothers nursing home to supposedly "visit", took her outside for some fresh air while his addict friend cleaned out her room including the wheel chair, that pretty much preventing more bonding.

Yeah addicts will feel safe while they steal, lie, cause harm to anyone and everyone around you in order to get their fix.

I lived with an addict in my family for 22 years straight. YOu know when he got clean and sober when every CONNECTION was broken and he had no one to turn too.

fine you move them next to you. I've had my experience making an addict feel "safe". I don't give a rats backside if they feel "safe".
listen I sorry this opiod epidemic is out of control but I do not feel any need to jeopardize the safety and well being of my neighborhood because they want to get high.

I think we have done a really good job getting the information out that addicts can get treatment. giving them a warm and fuzzy spot to shoot up is not going to do a darn thing to make them go to rehab.

So when you say "worked" in other places, are you saying that the addicts got off of drugs or just needles were no longer on the street? now if you can force them to go to rehab, that is a different story and I do recognize that we have a crisis, I think I read some where that we had almost 1200 overdoses in Philly last year.

Lastly who's paying for all these professionals that will man these safe injection spots. the article says no taxpayer dollars will go to run these sites? so how will they get funded?
It's not really fair to paint all addicts in the same way because of your experience. Do some addicts cheat and steal from others? Yes-like all people there are some bad and some good and everything in between. But currently over 80% of heroin addicts started with a legal prescription. There are former cancer patients that have beaten cancer but developed horrible opiate addictions in the process. You need to think bigger picture. And yes, greater access to treatment and intervention leads to less use, less ods and saves health costs.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:00 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,836,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
It's not really fair to paint all addicts in the same way because of your experience. Do some addicts cheat and steal from others? Yes-like all people there are some bad and some good and everything in between. But currently over 80% of heroin addicts started with a legal prescription. There are former cancer patients that have beaten cancer but developed horrible opiate addictions in the process. You need to think bigger picture. And yes, greater access to treatment and intervention leads to less use, less ods and saves health costs.
Agreed. It's also important to keep in mind that additional costs for creating and maintaining a SIS is going to be offset by reduced emergency services that are currently consumed in great quantity for deaths, ODs, and other issues that accompany our issues on the streets today.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:25 PM

151 posts, read 146,241 times
Sick of zero personal responsibility in this country! How about not doing drugs, this is awful for Philadelphia. I bet all these people are also not working and on every welfare program possible. Cut it all off like smart countries do.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:03 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,001,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASRGUY View Post
Sick of zero personal responsibility in this country! How about not doing drugs, this is awful for Philadelphia. I bet all these people are also not working and on every welfare program possible. Cut it all off like smart countries do.
Typical uninformed response. Smart countries have cleaned up their drug problems by taking big progressive steps just like this. Why don't you take some personal responsibility and read up on the opioid crisis in this country instead going through life spouting uninformed opinions like some cut rate Donald Trump.

Last edited by phillies2011; 02-19-2018 at 01:30 PM..

Old 02-19-2018, 12:36 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,687,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Typical uninformed response. Smart countries have cleaned up their drug problems by taking big progressive steps just like this. Why don't take some personal responsibility and read up on the opioid crisis in this country instead going through life spouting uniformed opinions like some cut rate Donald Trump.
Right now I think some of these trolls posts on c-d are being created by Russians. Considering what we know now about what they're up to I don't think I'm being delusional.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:56 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,508,960 times
Article in the NYT today.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/20/o...l-right-region

Old 02-20-2018, 12:21 PM

1,312 posts, read 876,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Right now I think some of these trolls posts on c-d are being created by Russians. Considering what we know now about what they're up to I don't think I'm being delusional.
I don't think c-d is a big enough audience to bother, LOL. You get thousands of times more hits with fb or reddit or twitter or stuff like that. On sites like this, what you get are the people who have bought into the propaganda unwittingly spreading it.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:08 PM

7,731 posts, read 5,457,011 times
For Philly safe injection sites to be inclusive, start by allowing crack | Opinion

Saw this. Thought it was an interesting take.

Should people be able to smoke crack or eat LSD/Mushrooms at these places?

Some people believe since Herion is such a big problem in the white community, that that’s why their is so much ‘compassion’ for users. While no compassion was ever shown to crack users in the same way.

Personally, if you are already going to give dope heads needles, you might as well give crackheads pipes and try to convince them to enter treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia