Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 07:33 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The Bynum brothers are as good at running restaurants as they are at running jazz clubs.

In fact, all of the establishments they run are both. (Warmdaddy's is blues, granted, and their co-owner is in charge of the kitchen at Paris Bistro.)

But their food is nothing less than very good at all their restaurants as well. Yet we don't hear their names mentioned in the same breaths that we hear about Starr, or Garces, or Vetri.

Granted, the latter two are actual chefs, but Starr's not either. So why not the Bynums alongside them?
While what you're saying is true, South has elevated the Bynum name. Personally, I don't think they've earned the rep that Starr, Garces or Vetri have earned. Warmdaddy's is great, but it's location is terrible and I think that's a turn-off for many (I avoid Columbus, especially on a night out). I have not been to Paris Bistro, but look forward to going.

Perhaps LeBan is partially responsible? I'm not sure if people realize the impact he has on restaurants and money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 09:47 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
While what you're saying is true, South has elevated the Bynum name. Personally, I don't think they've earned the rep that Starr, Garces or Vetri have earned. Warmdaddy's is great, but it's location is terrible and I think that's a turn-off for many (I avoid Columbus, especially on a night out). I have not been to Paris Bistro, but look forward to going.

Perhaps LeBan is partially responsible? I'm not sure if people realize the impact he has on restaurants and money.
I recognized Warmdaddy's from this and other threads when I went to return my Comcast modem yesterday (I have my own) and was surprised to see where it was. I can't even imagine going to the movie theater down there.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:05 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I recognized Warmdaddy's from this and other threads when I went to return my Comcast modem yesterday (I have my own) and was surprised to see where it was. I can't even imagine going to the movie theater down there.
Yup. It's the closest theater to me and I still have never been.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:36 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Why? That movie theater is fine.

They are building 125 houses across the street with a new grocery store.

to actually comment on topic;
Visit Philly has a map of historic Africa-American tourist sites:
http://www.visitphilly.com/articles/...-philadelphia/

Old 02-15-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Why? That movie theater is fine.

They are building 125 houses across the street with a new grocery store.

to actually comment on topic;
Visit Philly has a map of historic Africa-American tourist sites:
African-American Historic Sites in Philadelphia — Visit Philadelphia — visitphilly.com
Well that would make a huge difference for sure.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:09 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Yup. It's the closest theater to me and I still have never been.
When Regal too over the UA chain they did a lot of renovations in there. But, I don't go to movies at night so a night crowd would obviously be different.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:

Warmdaddy's used to have a jazz brunch on Sundays which always seemed to be packed.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Well that would make a huge difference for sure.
Of course it will. lol

But there is a S. Philly neighborhood, Pennsport, a block away from the theater and Warmdaddys. Lots of people live nearby.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Of course it will. lol

But there is a S. Philly neighborhood, Pennsport, a block away from the theater and Warmdaddys. Lots of people live nearby.
I am exploring the city on the bus . My criteria is how much is it going to cost me (i.e. how far) at night to get home via cab/Lyft and I'm guessing there are movie theaters closer to where I live. Warmdaddy's for brunch sounds fun though!

Old 02-16-2018, 02:51 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:

Actually, what I said before notwithstanding, I think you are right about South, the first Bynum establishment ever to make a Phillymag "50 Best Restaurants" list.

But that's still testimony to their skill and talent. The old Zanzibar Blue - their first winning implementation of this formula - was in the heart of Center City: first at 11th and Cypress in Wash West, then in the basement of the Bellevue, where Tavern on Broad is now.

I don't remember whether LaBan reviewed Zanzibar Blue or not, or how many bells he gave it if he did (and I'd be surprised if he didn't).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia