Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 12:39 PM

13,252 posts, read 33,405,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomJon96 View Post
Been considering Philly for when I graduate college (coming for PDX) and to my understanding, the city is quite liberal and LGBT friendly. I've been trying to catch up on researching the various neighborhoods in the city itself (no suburbs), but I've been curious to know a bit more on the individual neighborhoods themselves in terms of their LGBT friendliness.

I imagine parts of the city are more liberal or conservative depending on where you go, but are there maybe some general areas to avoid? Strong conservative/Republican neighborhoods? I have nothing wrong with conservatives, but the safety of myself and my fiancé is really important to me.

Due to cost, I'm mostly looking to not move to center city or the general gayborhood itself.

How about Germantown, Fishtown? Around Drexel?
Back on topic please.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 01:32 PM

6 posts, read 5,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
The problem with an OP starting a thread like this relates to setting-up a certain discussion. Threads with ''where will x group be welcomed'' and then using certain trigger stereotypes about ''where will x group no be welcomed'' shouldn't be allowed.

What groups are allowed to be blanket-statement stereotyped and which are not? If there is a forum rule related to this, please let us know; otherwise, these types of threads should be banned.
Forgive me, I am new to the forum and am not entirely aware of whatever general etiquette goes into this sort of thing. I truly didn't mean to cause any sort of issue, nor was my intent to anger anybody of a different political affiliation.

Many of you have given very useful information, so thank you!

Old 02-07-2018, 01:45 PM

13,252 posts, read 33,405,476 times
DomJon, It’s all good. The goal on this forum is to get you the information you need. Going astray happens but hopefully we’re back on track now

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:38 PM

2,537 posts, read 2,650,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Not that you would live on Drexels campus, but Drexel has a very active LGBT community and the University goes above and beyond to create an inclusive accepting environment, the same can be said for Penn (although, I think they are more concerned with filling their quote, but thats another topic.)

. . . .
Drexel has usually had an active lgbt community, but has it really changed this much in 10 years? Many of the fraternities there tend to be/were very prejudiced against gay people. I'm sure the tension has lessened as younger people overall don't care about whether people are lgbt or not, but it was really bad 10 years ago despite a fairly active community.

While select groups of nerds and fraternities don't make the whole of Drexel at all, they do represent a portion.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:23 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,916,998 times
Quote:
Forgive me, I am new to the forum and am not entirely aware of whatever general etiquette goes into this sort of thing. I truly didn't mean to cause any sort of issue, nor was my intent to anger anybody of a different political affiliation.

Many of you have given very useful information, so thank you!
If Philly safety is the issue, and because you are a gay male with a bf, no need to limit that issue to conservative/republican areas. That's blanket stereotyping.

Safety is hardly limited as a concern in these ''conservative'' (whatever that means in Philly) areas; just keep your wits about you like anywhere else. Gun violence, assault, the occassional center city flash-mob, are the biggest threats to you in Philly.

Don't bite into the bait related to that 2014 street fight in Center City with those 2 gay guys.

Oh, and don't walk around with ear-buds in.

Last edited by Kamms; 02-07-2018 at 03:56 PM..

Old 02-07-2018, 08:05 PM

6 posts, read 5,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
If Philly safety is the issue, and because you are a gay male with a bf, no need to limit that issue to conservative/republican areas. That's blanket stereotyping.

Safety is hardly limited as a concern in these ''conservative'' (whatever that means in Philly) areas; just keep your wits about you like anywhere else. Gun violence, assault, the occassional center city flash-mob, are the biggest threats to you in Philly.

Don't bite into the bait related to that 2014 street fight in Center City with those 2 gay guys.

Oh, and don't walk around with ear-buds in.
Good thing I'm more of a headphones kind of guy

I kid. I feel I'm pretty street smart, but from what I've heard, the general amount of crimes is a lot higher to that of my native Portland. It is getting worse here, but I've never personally had any issues aside from panhandlers.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:56 AM

9,353 posts, read 9,241,842 times
Quote:

I kid. I feel I'm pretty street smart, but from what I've heard, the general amount of crimes is a lot higher to that of my native Portland. It is getting worse here, but I've never personally had any issues aside from panhandlers.
Philadelphia is a much bigger city with a lot of grittier areas, hence why general crime is higher. However, the city is wonderful, an endless mix of culture, food and drink, recreation and history. Every neighborhood will offer you a totally different experience. You also shouldn't have trouble making a new network of friends.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:03 AM

9,353 posts, read 9,241,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
Drexel has usually had an active lgbt community, but has it really changed this much in 10 years? Many of the fraternities there tend to be/were very prejudiced against gay people. I'm sure the tension has lessened as younger people overall don't care about whether people are lgbt or not, but it was really bad 10 years ago despite a fairly active community.

While select groups of nerds and fraternities don't make the whole of Drexel at all, they do represent a portion.
Drexel has again cracked down on fraternities that are out of control, one lost its Drexel chapter, another suspended. The overall presence and influence of Greek life on campus has become limited. Also, Fry was a great addition to the university, he is doing everything he can to elevate Drexel, and he makes it a point to recognize that Drexel is an extremely diverse university with students from all over the world, definitely beyond the status quo.

I graduated recently.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:18 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,700,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Well I was a white guy who worked in an almost entirely black neighborhood in West Philadelphia for a year. Never once had a problem with anyone on the street, and I used to go buy food from the surrounding little stores on Lancaster Ave all the time. The junkie who hung out on the corner of 41st St used to say hi to me every morning as I got off the trolly. The Black parents of the kids I taught there never bothered me for being white.

My guess is you’ve never spent any time getting to know the “scary blacks” you so quickly move to demonize. Because if you did you wouldn’t be sounding like the ignorant fool you are.
At the risk of toobusy deleting my post since this is all OT.

As I have said many times I have close family members who live in so called scary areas in W. Philly. These folks have always identified as black. None have committed any crimes afaik. I also have close family members who are white. They were raised in Lancaster, PA and identify as white. Fine. No one cares. I have never seen any seen any rejection wrt race. We're a mixed bag of people...that's all.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:47 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,916,998 times
Quote:

I just noticed you're from Portland. I visit Portland every summer; it's a great area for sure. As you state, Philly crime is much higher, especially the gun violence.

Philly is a great city with excellent schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia