Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 10:21 PM

82 posts, read 82,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Event trash receptacles, jack rabbit. Dumpsters should have been dropped all over the place.
"Event trash receptacles" should have been placed on hundreds of blocks of residential streets, far from the parade route? I was assuming you were being facetious about this stuff, but you're so insistent about it that I can't quite tell anymore.

Quote:
Everyone I know will put their garbage in the appropriate place given the chance.
Ok, with this comment, you must be joking, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 10:46 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,747,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
No one really knows how many people attended the Phillies parade but because "2 million" sounds so awesome, no one in local government or media refuted it and it’s been repeated over and over again as (likely) truth. Having attended the Phillies parade and this one, I can say that it seemed much more crowded on Broad Street and on top of that, the route was considerably longer. So if 700,000 is the correct number for the Eagles, the Phillies must have only been around 500,000.
I doubt it's correct judging from what I remember about the Papal visit.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
He's a football player, not a Sunday school teacher. Foles and Wentz, among others, seem to be good role models, but it's not a requirement to play pro ball. Kelce, bruiser that he is, seems like a big Teddy bear to me. Chances are that he grew up hearing those words. I did, my husband did, and our kid did. We were all taught to not use those words in the house or with family members, neighbors, or friends.
Just to put some perspective on it, I knew about those words when I was 9 or 10 years old. And when was that? 1958/59.

But same thing in my house: no one used those words openly.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:32 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
He's a football player, not a Sunday school teacher. Foles and Wentz, among others, seem to be good role models, but it's not a requirement to play pro ball. Kelce, bruiser that he is, seems like a big Teddy bear to me. Chances are that he grew up hearing those words. I did, my husband did, and our kid did. We were all taught to not use those words in the house or with family members, neighbors, or friends.
Same for me, grew up blue collar and around a lot of swearing, drinking, etc. People pretend these are role models, but it's probably just an excuse to drink beer and watch the game. Regardless, swearing like that in front of kids and the public in general was pretty tasteless. I have some pretty rough friends, but they know better than to swear like that in certain situations.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:12 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I liked what he was saying overall, but the amount of public vulgarity face to face with a large number of children watching was pretty rotten. Not exactly a good example of being a role model. I was hoping for more tbh, but instead, he started a chant with the F word in it.
I really think he got "caught" up in the moment. that's all.

I was out with a friend and his 7 year old grandson. The kid really didn't even notice.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:13 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,015,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Same for me, grew up blue collar and around a lot of swearing, drinking, etc. People pretend these are role models, but it's probably just an excuse to drink beer and watch the game. Regardless, swearing like that in front of kids and the public in general was pretty tasteless. I have some pretty rough friends, but they know better than to swear like that in certain situations.
Anyone who uses "swearing" as a judge of character is being ridiculous. Who. Cares.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Anyone who uses "swearing" as a judge of character is being ridiculous. Who. Cares.
Let's be clear. I didn't say he's a bad guy or that the day was ruined. I simply said that it was poor judgement. I mean, it's not like he was swearing just a little or using poor grammar. He was chanting the f-bomb.

On the other hand, if you really don't think character can be linked to the way someone speaks, you're FOS. Speech, appearance, action are all major indicators of a person's character.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I really think he got "caught" up in the moment. that's all.

I was out with a friend and his 7 year old grandson. The kid really didn't even notice.
I'm sure that was the case. My point is getting drawn out too far by people on this board. I'm only saying I thought it was in poor taste and the fact that so few people can simply say "yeah, I had a great time, it was a great parade, but I agree he should have been more tasteful" is annoying.

Minor point: You'll be shocked how much children pick up. If a parent says the f*** once, they can pick it up and repeat it over and over again at school. If a crowd is screaming/chanting it....yeah. Regardless, it's more about respect than anything IMO.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:52 PM

273 posts, read 206,744 times
Will somebody please think of the children!!

Old 02-12-2018, 01:34 PM

I noticed that some of our regulars(pine to vine, dirtypirate and marketstel(maybe a couple others)) decided to defend Phila.'s honor wrt the Super Bowl win and the aftermath here in the city vs city, 'washington/philly reputation" thread. Posts got a little heated but, once again, more proof that Philadelphians are pretty passionate people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia