Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 10:59 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Correction: you would not need to transfer to the subway to get to Temple from Exton.

You just ride all the way through the Commuter Tunnel and get off at the first stop outside it, Temple University. It's at the eastern edge of the campus, at Ninth and Berks streets. Your Paoli/Thorndale train that enters the tunnel leaves it as a Lansdale/Doylestown train. We used to have numbers that referred to the through routes; this was route R5. You'll still hear the occasional Philadelphian use these.

I swear, neither SEPTA nor many of the riders seem to understand the importance or significance of the Commuter Tunnel. There is nothing else like it in North America.
Why are you saying septa does not understand the significance of it since it's pretty vital to what they do every day? Because people take it for granted? Think the link was always there?

But, yes, it gets lost in many conversations about pub trans networks nationwide. It's the only decent to have come out of the Rizzo admin, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 12:28 PM

752 posts, read 460,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Correction: you would not need to transfer to the subway to get to Temple from Exton.

You just ride all the way through the Commuter Tunnel and get off at the first stop outside it, Temple University. It's at the eastern edge of the campus, at Ninth and Berks streets. Your Paoli/Thorndale train that enters the tunnel leaves it as a Lansdale/Doylestown train. We used to have numbers that referred to the through routes; this was route R5. You'll still hear the occasional Philadelphian use these.

I swear, neither SEPTA nor many of the riders seem to understand the importance or significance of the Commuter Tunnel. There is nothing else like it in North America.
Thanks for that correction. I remember when they changed from the R- designation for the lines to the name of the end station, I thought part of the motive was to avoid having to carry passengers through CC and out the other side without de-boarding a getting a new ticket. But since I never had the need to do that, I was obviously mistaken.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:44 PM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Thanks for that correction. I remember when they changed from the R- designation for the lines to the name of the end station, I thought part of the motive was to avoid having to carry passengers through CC and out the other side without de-boarding a getting a new ticket. But since I never had the need to do that, I was obviously mistaken.
I waged a rather noisy campaign to "Bring Back the R-Numbers!" on Phillymag shortly after SEPTA dropped them. (This was when I was freelancing there, before they hired me full-time.)

Most of those who commented in response to the article agreed with me and my argument. One prominent and knowledgeable transportation blogger didn't, in a post that praised me to high heaven before demolishing my argument.

It was for naught, though, as SEPTA's then-Assistant General Manager for Public Relations (an ex-FBI agent who's really sharp) said to me when we ran into each other at a transit advocacy event. "Give it up, Sandy," she said. "They're not coming back."

(Full disclosure: when I worked on the media-relations side of Penn's Office of University Communications, one of the professors I often pitched on transportation subjects was the Engineering School professor who SEPTA commissioned to come up with the new numbering scheme for Regional Rail when the Commuter Tunnel opened.)

Edited to add: Funny, the impression you got when SEPTA dropped the R-numbers was one of the criticisms I made about the move in the first place: namely, that by doing this, SEPTA was behaving as though the Commuter Tunnel had never been built.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:39 PM

1,397 posts, read 914,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I think Temple is considered a Center City station, is it not? Temple to U-Penn, not just 30th/Suburban/Jefferson.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:21 AM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
I think Temple is considered a Center City station, is it not? Temple to U-Penn, not just 30th/Suburban/Jefferson.
You are correct. There are five stations in the Center City zone; University City is the only one not served by all Regional Rail through-routes.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:07 AM

752 posts, read 460,420 times
Thanks for all the info!^^^^

Regardless, the train from Exton to Temple is outside their desired 30-45 minute commute.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:41 AM

2 posts, read 1,156 times
Seconding Jenkintown! The commute to Temple is amazing (only about 15 minutes via SEPTA express trains that run during rush hour), and the Wintersports Ice Arena is about 14 minutes away. There are shops and restaurants in walking distance. You can join the Abington Club for a year-round pool, or Abington Township has outdoor pools you can join in the summer.

Jenkintown has a great little school with very low student:teacher ratios, and everyone in the district can walk to school (the whole Borough is only 0.6 square miles, which also means kids can also walk to their friends houses). It's a great little community.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:19 PM

83 posts, read 81,032 times
Not to derail this conversation (no pun intended!), I grew up in Ardmore in the 1960s. Back then the train was called The Paoli Local. I graduated from LMHS in 74 and moved away. When I returned to the area in 2014 and asked about the Paoli Local, I was met with blank stares. People said, “Oh, you mean the Paoli-Thorndale line.” “Thorndale?” I replied. “Where the heck is that?!?” :-)

Old 03-02-2018, 02:14 PM

4 posts, read 3,100 times
Thanks. I'll look into those areas.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:17 PM

4 posts, read 3,100 times
That sounds great! Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia