Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 06:19 PM

98 posts, read 117,054 times

Advertisements

Job wise:
Currently working in pharmaceuticals, if I relocate I'll be working at West Point, PA
My partner works as a registered nurse (may need to find a hospital or related nursing job if we decide to move here)

What we're looking for within a 5 to 20 min. drive:
Close to Costco, ShopRite, Walmart
Authentic Chinese Restaurants
Chinese Supermarkets
Movie Theater (AMC or Regal, etc.)
Dog park or just regular park

Other:
Diversity
Decent Roads (less broken roads/potholes, etc.)
Not a flooding zone
Low property taxes
Within ~1 hour distance from Marlboro, NJ (want to be sort of close to parents) and if possible ~1 hour drive from Kenilworth NJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 06:25 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times
You also should fill out this form://www.city-data.com/forum/penns...residents.html

Southeast Pennsylvania is one of the largest metros in the nation, and has a wide array of communities from leafy green affluent, to charming small towns, to more typical suburban. Your price range will aide in suggestions, some of these communities are more expensive than others.

Also your desired commute time will be notable. Have you been to Philadelphia? It has one of the most vibrant Chinatowns in the nation.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-27-2018 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: moved

Old 02-26-2018, 09:44 PM

5,300 posts, read 6,177,484 times
One hour travel time to Marlboro or Kenilworth is unrealistic unless you move to somewhere in Mercer County, NJ, which will mean a nightmare commute to West Point. See link.

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...county-pa.html

The highest paying and most interesting nursing jobs will be in Philadelphia at the teaching hospitals. Commute will be by SEPTA (train). There are also quite a few hospitals in Montgomery County, PA.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:26 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HastroX View Post
Job wise:
Currently working in pharmaceuticals, if I relocate I'll be working at West Point, PA
My partner works as a registered nurse (may need to find a hospital or related nursing job if we decide to move here)

What we're looking for within a 5 to 20 min. drive:
Close to Costco, ShopRite, Walmart
Authentic Chinese Restaurants
Chinese Supermarkets
Movie Theater (AMC or Regal, etc.)
Dog park or just regular park

Other:
Diversity
Decent Roads (less broken roads/potholes, etc.)
Not a flooding zone
Low property taxes
Within ~1 hour distance from Marlboro, NJ (want to be sort of close to parents) and if possible ~1 hour drive from Kenilworth NJ
1) Costco...: yes
2) Chinese: Yes, but you'd have to search a bit and/ or go into Philly
3) Chinese Supermarkets: Yes, but again, you may need to go to Chinatown in Center City (which is not a bad drive during off hours)
4) Movies: yes
5) Park: yes
6) Diversity: yes
7) No flood zone: yes
8) Depends on your definition of low
9) Maybe, depending on time of day/ traffic. I'd budget 1:00 to get to Marlboro and probably 1:30 to Kenilworth to be safe

Old 02-27-2018, 09:01 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,183,073 times
OP, I honestly don't know of a good in-between place for proximity to both North Jersey and West Point, PA. At the end of the day, you will be commuting to work far more often than visiting family, so I would concentrate on being closer to work. That said, you could go a bit north/east from West Point in your search so that you're at least heading in the right direction for your other requirement.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:09 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,092,454 times
Doylestown, PA comes to mind, although it's not really a shining star of diversity and you won't find a Chinese store there.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:42 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,680,436 times
There are a number of big Asian Grocery stores on the NJ side in Cherry Hill, Voorhees. Tax is high in these areas though. So, maybe look at neighboring towns and re-post in NJ.

You're not going to be able to get all what you're asking for without paying a premium living in a suburb or city pretty much. 1 hr helps. I'm not sure if Ridley, Essington, Secane, Clifton Heights, Folsom is too far out, but that is a bit cheaper then neighboring places in the area, and you have a medium sized Hmart near 69th St. Upper Darby.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:44 PM

274 posts, read 326,640 times
What Flyers Girl said. Commuting to work every day is what is most important. West Point to Kenilworth looks to be 1 and a half to maybe 2 hours (depending on traffic and time of day)? It appears that you might take 309 to the PA turnpike to the NJ tpk? If that would be the case, then you might want to look for places to live along the path of those roads.

This also depends on how often you actually would visit your family. Every weekend?

I have heard that Upper Dublin (near Fort Washington) has a fairly significant Asian population. But no Asian grocery store. Real estate taxes are not considered "low" in Montgomery County, but maybe compared to NJ???

Good luck in your search!

Old 03-01-2018, 03:26 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,680,436 times
ASSI PLAZA
Upper Dublin doesn't, but North Wales does, which is commutable from Upper Dublin.

A little bit further away is the Hmart in Cheltenham, and then a bit further is the Farmers Supermarket off Rising Sun and Adams Ave, and hiding in a little nook off of Whitaker Ave. past the Home Depot and Walmart plaza is a big Ben City.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:56 AM

5,300 posts, read 6,177,484 times
I think that the OP was looking for excuses not to relocate and has found them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia