Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 08:22 PM

51 posts, read 99,317 times

Advertisements

So i moved to 49th and greenway. 49th going on 50th st. I thought it would be the perfect quiet area since it is not far from my job and also it easy to get on the trolley. But the block i live on right now is completely ghetto. I usually don’t mind noise but they really going overboard, they play music 24/7 and everybody so loud in the morning. I used to visit friends on 49 and baltimore and i thought the whole area was gentrified but i guess not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 05:57 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyfinest View Post
So i moved to 49th and greenway. 49th going on 50th st. I thought it would be the perfect quiet area since it is not far from my job and also it easy to get on the trolley. But the block i live on right now is completely ghetto. I usually don’t mind noise but they really going overboard, they play music 24/7 and everybody so loud in the morning. I used to visit friends on 49 and baltimore and i thought the whole area was gentrified but i guess not
What are the houses really like there? I honestly don't know. If they're simply two story row houses, it's probably not attractive enough for anyone to invest in right now.

On the other hand things are changing ever so slightly in the area directly adjacent to the MFL, around 61st and 62nd sts. A couple of houses being completed rehabbed on 61st, north of Market, and priced in the high 200s. On my sister's block on 62nd the house that pianist, Andre Watts, grew up in is another house being transformed. However, inspite of how it generally looks around there, especially on Market, it's very quiet most of the time. So it does not have the issues you are talking about.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:53 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,682,196 times
The area at 49th and Baltimore was attempting to gentrify, but it's nowhere near there. There used to be a 2nd Red Caps there, but it wasn't able to do well enough so they had to close it down.

That area has a long way to go in my opinion.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:43 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
What are the houses really like there? I honestly don't know. If they're simply two story row houses, it's probably not attractive enough for anyone to invest in right now.

On the other hand things are changing ever so slightly in the area directly adjacent to the MFL, around 61st and 62nd sts. A couple of houses being completed rehabbed on 61st, north of Market, and priced in the high 200s. On my sister's block on 62nd the house that pianist, Andre Watts, grew up in is another house being transformed. However, inspite of how it generally looks around there, especially on Market, it's very quiet most of the time. So it does not have the issues you are talking about.
No offense, but everything north of 50th is essentially the hood. I know you like to tell about how your family has never had troubles, but looking at reports and statistics it appears that lots of people have trouble all the time. Houses are being rehabbed in the worst parts of Kesington. That doesn’t mean the neighborhood is about to all of a sudden turn around.

49th and greenway is the beginnings of SW Philly which is arguably the worst most forgotten about piece of the city. Your block is legit on the other side of the train tracks.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:47 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
No offense, but everything north of 50th is essentially the hood. I know you like to tell about how your family has never had troubles, but looking at reports and statistics it appears that lots of people have trouble all the time. Houses are being rehabbed in the worst parts of Kesington. That doesn’t mean the neighborhood is about to all of a sudden turn around.

49th and greenway is the beginnings of SW Philly which is arguably the worst most forgotten about piece of the city. Your block is legit on the other side of the train tracks.

It's not just my family who have hung on or are minus "issues". My guess is you have no actual day-to-day contact, interaction or know anyone living there. And, I'm aware of stats and reports but that it's not the whole story.

Why would anyone expend time, energy and money on rehabbing anything in those places if they didn't see some positive outcome? Wouldn't it be a waste?

You and others on this board just want to belittle lots of people in these areas. And it does offends me. So your " no offense" is bs.

And you probably mean west of 50th, not north which would include Wynnefield. So much "ghetto" there. West of 50th there's Overbrook, Overbrook Farms and Overbrook Park. Yeah all "ghetto".

Old 04-12-2018, 11:07 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
I did mean west of 50th. Anecdotal information is fine and all, but it doesn’t mean anything.

I didn’t really mean those neighborhoods you mentioned either. I meant the neighborhoods surrounding market particularly south as that is in the direction the OP is talking about.

I legit lived in the hood in Philly for 5 years of my life. I understand that their are good people stuck in between. It doesn’t change the facts about socioeconomic state of things.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:52 PM

752 posts, read 460,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Your block is legit on the other side of the train tracks.
Yes, literally and figuratively.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:29 PM

51 posts, read 99,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
The area at 49th and Baltimore was attempting to gentrify, but it's nowhere near there. There used to be a 2nd Red Caps there, but it wasn't able to do well enough so they had to close it down.

That area has a long way to go in my opinion.
49th and baltimore isnt too bad. Not as bad as where i live right now

Old 04-13-2018, 02:07 AM

385 posts, read 401,143 times
The neighborhoods are what they are....why should the neighborhood be gentrified ? But you are in the "Hood" you gonna hear alot of noise ....but if its directly next to your house maybe you can ask them to not be so loud ? It might help.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:07 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,682,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyfinest View Post
49th and baltimore isnt too bad. Not as bad as where i live right now
Ah, I totally missed that, thanks. Yeah I see now. I've been that way. Great cut through for that part of West Philly. You probably could do worse than Kingsessing. At least you have Bartam Gardens nearby by vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia