Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 05:31 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Why is it a joke. the training is not just for one day. The one day was a kick off for annual training. starbucks worked with the NAACP and other minority civic organizations to come up with a program.

Let me ask folks who work. Do you guys have ethics training? My company has annual training every Jan 2. that outlines plainly and fully what employees must be aware of, what type of behavior is acceptable at work and on social media (yes my company checks the social media pages of perspective applicants).

Starbucks is probably behind the curve actually.

It only is a joke if they continue their discriminatory practices. time will tell.
I was also unclear what the joke reference was connected to. We had code of conduct training that we had to do every year. The problem at my company was the execs weren’t exactly good role models, so it was hard to take the training seriously and as a result there were a lot of issues. But. We were a privately held company that for the most part did not interface with the public. My issue with the Starbucks training is that it totally seemed to miss the mark at least as it was presented in that article. Maybe they’ll do better next round after getting feedback from their employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 10:23 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The problem with being an unlimited Third Place is that in certain larger cities it will tie the hands of the manager to act in the best interest of the store, and commerce. What I think will happen is you will see restrooms being closed for long periods of time with either "closed for cleaning", or "out of order" signs. Therefore, paying customers will not be able to use the restrooms, becoming very inconvenienced, and disillusioned with the Starbucks experience. Again, this will only happen in areas of dense population, high traffic, and high homeless populations.

From a financial perspective, will this effect earnings? Who knows? There is a chance it may, but if it does we will not see that for a few quarters or more. If Starbucks misses its quarterly earning projection, then the stock will tumble, but we all know that.
My point is, you're writing about this in the future tense, as if this policy represents a departure from standard practice at Starbucks up until now.

I'm saying it's not - it's been standard policy for some time, just not codified. IOW, if this policy was bad for Starbucks' bottom line, the company would have abandoned it in favor of something stricter.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:09 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I was also unclear what the joke reference was connected to. We had code of conduct training that we had to do every year. The problem at my company was the execs weren’t exactly good role models, so it was hard to take the training seriously and as a result there were a lot of issues. But. We were a privately held company that for the most part did not interface with the public. My issue with the Starbucks training is that it totally seemed to miss the mark at least as it was presented in that article. Maybe they’ll do better next round after getting feedback from their employees.
I work for a fortune 500 chemical company in Delaware and we most definitely have what we call sensitivity training. we have in annually and everyone from the guards to the CEO supposedly has to take it.

Not only that, in light of the Rosanne blow up we had training reminding our employees that yes we will fire you for what you say on facebook and twitter.
We have fired guys for sending sexist jokes via email etc etc.

We don't "interface" so much with the public as we sell products so anything that we think is going to hurt the brand will definitely not go over well.
Claims of discrimination would cause all heck to break loose. lol

Old 06-01-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
I work for a fortune 500 chemical company in Delaware and we most definitely have what we call sensitivity training. we have in annually and everyone from the guards to the CEO supposedly has to take it.

Not only that, in light of the Rosanne blow up we had training reminding our employees that yes we will fire you for what you say on facebook and twitter.

We don't "interface" so much with the public as we sell products so anything that we think is going to hurt the brand will definitely not go over well.
Well I'm glad to hear a major company practices what it preaches. Mine did not.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:27 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
I have attended two unconscious basis classes before mandated by my employer. They were fine. In my opinion, the value in it is the self awareness you can gain. It's like a little file stored in the back of your brain that you can recall. If you are an actual racist, a day or two of training isn't going to sway you.

Old 06-02-2018, 01:05 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,518,860 times
Quote:

Thank the stars that I'm retired, wouldn't want to
play in this web that has been spun.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:50 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
This hasn't come up yet, but why didn't the guys just order something to avoid this mess? A coffee is $2!

And I have seen posts about how these men were educated/ successful guys, you would think they know to just get a coffee or cookie while they wait. I have done that all the time when I use Starbucks bathrooms.

Again the fact that this story is top national news is saddening. There are so many actual problems in the world, like what is happening in Syria, yet people are focused on this.
The people that are focused on this have no idea where Syria is, nor do they want to know.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:30 AM

What?

Philly cops issue new trespassing policy in response to criticism over Starbucks arrests

Old 06-09-2018, 01:12 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Didn't they already announce they were going to do something like this?

Anyhow, in the infamous SB, at 18th and Spruce, it's like nothing even happened that caused international news. Only difference the " customer only" signs on bathrooms have been removed. Same at the one on 15th below Locust. No evidence of being " storemed" by homeless people in either one.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:38 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Not saying this is due to the bathroom issue with the two black men, but that surely didn't help, and their mishandling of the entire ordeal exacerbates some underlying fundamental problems in the marketplace worldwide.

Quote:
Starbucks shares are now down by 12.2% on the year. The stock has lagged the Dow Jones Industrial Average and S&P 500 for the better part of two years.
https://www.thestreet.com/investing/...nging-14629713
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia