Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 02:26 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,551,299 times

Advertisements

You may want to reconsider your acreage needs because as you grow older it may be an issue living in isolation.

I don't know how old you are or how long you intend to live in your intended home but I've read elsewhere of people who were forced to change their homes because it became an issue as their abilities changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammie View Post

We'd like to spend no more than $150k for a lot. Would consider as small as 1 acre, no more than 5. Want to keep our building costs under $350k.

Being near (within an hour) of a good hospital is important, as well as good medical care. What areas should I consider or avoid due to this criteria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 08:14 AM

1,697 posts, read 969,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
You may want to reconsider your acreage needs because as you grow older it may be an issue living in isolation.

I don't know how old you are or how long you intend to live in your intended home but I've read elsewhere of people who were forced to change their homes because it became an issue as their abilities changed.
Jeez. Way to throw a wet towel on this exciting new chapter.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:07 AM

69 posts, read 165,606 times
Default Acreage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post

I definitely agree. We're considering 1- 3 acres max, for the reason you stated, plus the taxes. I'm 49, hubby is 58. I don't want to be a slave to landscaping.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I can't think of anywhere in Chester County that isn't within an hour of good hospitals and healthcare, and close to some sort of shopping. I mean, you're basically within an hour of the city, which has some of the best healthcare in the world, but there are certainly good hospitals in the suburbs as well.

It's a heckuva big area to do a "quick lookaround". Hopefully someone has turned you on to a local realtor who can help you narrow down your options.
Thanks for your response. I haven't found a realtor yet, but am working on it. I really just want to drive around, meet people, ask questions and see how we like it. We will probably check out a few properties just for the heck of it. Yes, it's a daunting task. We'll be making additional trips throughout the year.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:22 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,563 times
Are you married to the idea of building new? Adding what you want to pay for a lot to what you want to pay for the building costs, your all-in budget is $500,000. You may be able to find what you're looking for with existing housing.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Are you married to the idea of building new? Adding what you want to pay for a lot to what you want to pay for the building costs, your all-in budget is $500,000. You may be able to find what you're looking for with existing housing.
I'm not, but hubby is...still working on him...

Old 07-10-2018, 03:05 PM

117 posts, read 148,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The real estate/property taxes in Chester County will depend on the school district. For instance, Coatesville School District will be less expensive than Downingtown School District. There are good areas within this school district (not in the town of Coatesville) that are a bit more rural, but with quick access to shopping, health care, etc. East Brandywine, West Brandywine, Wallace, maybe Caln and West Caln townships may have property that has the balance in which you are looking but still close enough to Downingtown, and Exton for goods, and services.
Would you be willing to list a few of those areas you referenced as a bit more rural?

Old 07-12-2018, 05:51 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullenaway View Post
Would you be willing to list a few of those areas you referenced as a bit more rural?
The more northern, and western Townships in Chester County are more rural. Owen J. Roberts school district, and others. There are some in southern Chester County, but anything around Rt 1 has grown, and continues to grow. See the Township map.

http://www.usgwarchives.net/maps/pa/...s/chestemp.jpg

Old 07-16-2018, 07:39 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
Quote:
Jeez. Way to throw a wet towel on this exciting new chapter.
The issue was only brought up as a possible consideration.
If we're trying to be helpful I see no problem with mentioning it.
You'd rather the OP NOT think about those things?

Old 07-22-2018, 12:29 PM

3 posts, read 1,801 times
Chester county is a great option if you're insistent on the Philly area. You can get to Philly in an hour, but depending on your age, you will probably find fewer reasons to go there. There is a ton to do in Chester county, you won't have to pay 25 bucks to park to go to a restaurant, and you won't need to carry a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia