U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 08:51 PM

1,973 posts, read 4,982,282 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about moving to philly, I'm looking for a reasonably priced neighborhood maybe in the $650 to $750 a month range ($800 tops). Is there anything out there that cheap? Without having to live in the ghetto. I'm interested mostly in downtown, but I doubt I'll find anything in that price range. Any help will be welcome. Thank You.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 08:58 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,251,067 times
Maybe Northeast Philly. Or right outside the city in Delaware County...Drexel Hill, Clifton Heights, Lansdowne...

Old 03-27-2008, 08:59 PM

97 posts, read 534,585 times
Try Fishtown on craigslist.

Where'd you grow up in Wilkes-Barre?

Old 03-27-2008, 09:59 PM

Yep, Born and raised.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:24 AM

97 posts, read 534,585 times
GAR? You'll be O.K. in Fishtown.
Kingston? You must simply stay in Society Hill.
Coughlin/Plains? Maybe you better do a burb and take the train down.
Coughlin/W-B?Laurel Run? You might do O.K. in an older place in or around Old City.
Hanover? Definitely live in South Jersey and ride over.

Just trying to make you smile.

If you really want to live in the city to have the city life, post again. I'll find a way to get you to some places without violating advertising rules. You can go to craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums and pick philadelphia, then apts . Scan down the list for places in Old City. E-mail the ones that have pictures and look nice, but are out of your price range. Tell them you're from Wilkes-Barre and are clueless, need help, and could they refer you to anyone with a non-advertised efficiency.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:51 AM

4,927 posts, read 13,574,616 times
W-B as Pat said try craigslist, you can find studios and 1 BR apts. in and around Center City/University City in your price range. You wont be living like a king but $750 in center city can at least get you in the door. You also may want to consider finding roomates to share costs for a much nicer place. There are alot of college students, medical students, newcomers looking to do the same thing.

Good luck

Old 03-28-2008, 07:54 AM

2,249 posts, read 7,235,042 times
Craigslist has apartments in South Philly in your price range. Stay east of Broad Street and you will be safe. Very quick access into center city.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_in_Pa View Post
GAR? You'll be O.K. in Fishtown.
Kingston? You must simply stay in Society Hill.
Coughlin/Plains? Maybe you better do a burb and take the train down.
Coughlin/W-B?Laurel Run? You might do O.K. in an older place in or around Old City.
Hanover? Definitely live in South Jersey and ride over.

Just trying to make you smile.

If you really want to live in the city to have the city life, post again. I'll find a way to get you to some places without violating advertising rules. You can go to craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums and pick philadelphia, then apts . Scan down the list for places in Old City. E-mail the ones that have pictures and look nice, but are out of your price range. Tell them you're from Wilkes-Barre and are clueless, need help, and could they refer you to anyone with a non-advertised efficiency.
Hey, sounds like your a former Wilkes-Barrian! I was born and raised in East End and went to Coughlin. How about You? Anyway, I'm just sick of this area. I had a job where I traveled to philly 3 to 4 times a week, and I loved it. (Downtown philly anyway). I had to deliver packages to Hannaman and Thomas Jefferson Hospitals, and afterwards I'd go to Reading Market terminal for lunch or go to Penn's Landing, South street ect. I miss it, and I'm considering moving down there now. I'm a (blue collar) machinist by trade, and don't know what kind of work is avaliable down there, or what the salaries are like. I also used to drive taxi for about eight years, and was considering maybe driving cab in philly. My biggest concern is, can I get a decent apt. in a decent hood, in or close to downtown on the salary of a cab driver or machinist. How about Northern Liberties? are the rents reasonable? or even Univ. City (right across the schulkill, by the hospital) is that a decent hood?

Old 03-29-2008, 09:19 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,318,487 times
Fishtown/Port Richmond. It is Dan and Roseanne country all the way.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:37 PM

Can anyone give me details about fishtown? pros and cons?, crime stats compared to other philly hoods? ect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia