Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 10:02 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
It's unfair to expect outsiders to move into the city to fix the schools. Why can't those who live in the city fix the schools?

And no, I did not miss the part about him moving back to the city. I was commending him for bringing up his kids in the suburbs. That was a wise decision.
So perfect in the burbs. If you have teens do really know what and who they interact with? A poster above mentioned the drug activity going on in his very suburban, very white, high school.

When I was in a very white suburban, pretty good, high school 50+ years ago there was more than a little sexual activity going on right in school, lots of smoking( cigarettes) and no one was going to snitch to parents. At some point probably the majority of kids will be more affected by their peers and they will hide their true selves from their families. Example. I knew I was gay by the time I was 15. No way was I going to "come out" to my folks in 1964/65.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 06:19 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,553,097 times
I'd rather they take drugs and get good grades than take drugs and fail in school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
So perfect in the burbs. If you have teens do really know what and who they interact with? A poster above mentioned the drug activity going on in his very suburban, very white, high school.

When I was in a very white suburban, pretty good, high school 50+ years ago there was more than a little sexual activity going on right in school, lots of smoking( cigarettes) and no one was going to snitch to parents. At some point probably the majority of kids will be more affected by their peers and they will hide their true selves from their families. Example. I knew I was gay by the time I was 15. No way was I going to "come out" to my folks in 1964/65.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:44 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,488,531 times
Quote:
I'd rather they take drugs and get good grades than take drugs and fail in school.
You were wrong in your initial assertion. Just admit it and move on.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:03 AM

Wrong on what? City public schools are failing. What has changed in the last few days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
You were wrong in your initial assertion. Just admit it and move on.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Wrong on what? City public schools are failing. What has changed in the last few days?
There are a lot of schools that are top notch beyond Central and Masterman. You are, for an absolute fact, wrong on that. There are many schools that are failing, but it is still very much possible to get an education better in the city then you would in the suburbs.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
There are a lot of schools that are top notch beyond Central and Masterman. You are, for an absolute fact, wrong on that. There are many schools that are failing, but it is still very much possible to get an education better in the city then you would in the suburbs.
Sandy, spent an age trying to explain things in a more nuanced way. You mentioned the drug problem in your "good" suburban school. I mentioned that suburban schools, at least the one I went to, had behavioral problems long ago. 1Londoner won't budge from his positions.

So I was right: Sandy wasted his time creating this thread because it was always going to turn out like it has.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:42 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
Quote:
What public schools would you list as top notch? And how do they line up next to the suburban schools?

I'm not asking to be snarky, I really just don't know. I'm in the NW part of the city now, and I've yet to find a reasonably close public school that could serve as a real option.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
What public schools would you list as top notch? And how do they line up next to the suburban schools?

I'm not asking to be snarky, I really just don't know. I'm in the NW part of the city now, and I've yet to find a reasonably close public school that could serve as a real option.
I listed just a few off the top of my head in a post up-thread. There are more that I couldn't quite think of at that moment.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

So I was right: Sandy wasted his time creating this thread because it was always going to turn out like it has.

Old 05-24-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I saw this article among other recent articles which have been very critical of Philadelphia school district. I didn't bother posting them because the proponents of the city public schools are making an emotive argument and don't care what the statistics say.

Beyond the articles, the videos on YouTube are even more worrying. But hey, come ye all from the suburbs and change the city schools.
Post away. No one is stopping you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia