Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 10:47 AM

3 posts, read 9,698 times

Advertisements

I am a single mother that might possibly be moving to the area from Indiana/Kentucky for my work. I would be working at the hospital in Camden, NJ. Since I am a single parent, I am looking for an area to live that I can commute to the hospital in less than an hour. I do not want to live in the city. We come from a town of about 20,000 and would like to stay in that population range or even less. I need an area with good schools that is safe for my children and once again somewhat close to the Camden, NJ area so that I might get home quickly if my children needed me. Does anyone have any suggestions? I will be coming out there in Jan/Feb and I would like to have an idea where to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 01:32 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,587,061 times
Camden is just over the bridge from center city Philly. Since you don't want to be in the city, you would be better off moving to NJ. Maybe Cherry Hill. Have you posted on the NJ thread?

Old 12-12-2006, 03:36 PM

3 posts, read 9,698 times
I have not tried a NJ thread. I just have always heard it is safer and nicer in PA. Any suggestions on where in NJ?

Old 12-12-2006, 04:23 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,587,061 times
Cherry Hill, Marlton, Mt. Laurel and Collingswood would be good places to start. Haddonfield and Moorestown are lovely, but pricy.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:02 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,212,506 times
If you are working in NJ you would be better off living in NJ. The commute from PA over the bridges is not advisable. Traffic is a nightmare at rush hour.

I can recommend Woodbury Heights, Haddonfield and Voorhees in South jersey. If you like a little more elbow room, slower pace of life and don't mind a 45 minute drive Swedesboro and Mulica Hill are very nice, open, spacious towns with alot of recent growth.

Your money goes alot further in South Jersey than it will in Pa as well. Cost of living is considerably higher in Pa. as compared to south jersey.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:35 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,471,570 times
I feel sorry for ya,coming here from there. But if you must. It's rough here. As for the town of 20,000,I don't think there's any of those towns in the entire northeast. You'll probably feel quite a culture shock at first,I'm from northern NJ and even I was frieked out by all the traffic!
Probably the only advantages you'll have here are the wages possibly and the weather(compared to Indiana).

Old 12-18-2006, 04:50 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,212,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I feel sorry for ya,coming here from there. But if you must. It's rough here. As for the town of 20,000,I don't think there's any of those towns in the entire northeast. You'll probably feel quite a culture shock at first,I'm from northern NJ and even I was frieked out by all the traffic!
Probably the only advantages you'll have here are the wages possibly and the weather(compared to Indiana).
Whats so rough about it? Its almost the exact same landscape and the quality of living is on a higher level if you can succeed in life. If you can't then you go around flaming an area on internet chat boards.

Old 12-18-2006, 06:21 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,471,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Whats so rough about it? Its almost the exact same landscape and the quality of living is on a higher level if you can succeed in life. If you can't then you go around flaming an area on internet chat boards.
I'm not flaming,I just really need to vent and I never pass an opportunity to trash the city.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:34 AM
RNG

31 posts, read 129,927 times
Um, there are innummerable towns in the areas surrounding Camden that are less than 20,000. I live in one. Collingswood is a great town and a stone's throw from the hospitals of Camden. Indiana Pa, if you need some advice let me know. I've lived here forever and know most communities very well.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:40 AM
RNG

31 posts, read 129,927 times
Default Towns to visit

As I said, Collingswood, and Westmont (aka Haddon Twp), Oaklyn, Audubon, Haddon Heights, Cherry Hill, Maple Shade. I'm not sure how much you want to spend on rent or a mortgage, but if you have a very good income consider Haddonfield or Moorestown, which are fairly pricey. Stay away from Pennsauken (some nice areas but their high school is not good and a bit dangerous), Camden, Gloucester, Berlin, Runnemede, and Voorhees (former nice area going into a decline) ... If you have particular questions on areas, as I said, let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia