Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 02:34 PM

1,763 posts, read 1,527,681 times

Advertisements

The article was slanted and full of cheap shots. The stuff I quoted from the article was unnecessary.

If Philly wants to organize their own celebration to highlight the city they should go ahead and do it. This is a national celebration and goes far beyond Philly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
2 of us can tell the board what was done to prepare for the Bicentennial. It involved a whole lot more than standing up & singing God Bless America. That suggestion earns the man a two word description. Those words would be twit & moron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 03:30 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,437,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
The article was slanted and full of cheap shots. The stuff I quoted from the article was unnecessary.

If Philly wants to organize their own celebration to highlight the city they should go ahead and do it. This is a national celebration and goes far beyond Philly.
There should be stuff in Philadelphia, in the 13 colonies, & nationwide. The guy in charge would have come off better if he'd said that.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:00 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,668,524 times
So there are no millennials (who are now the largest single generation) involved so far and DiLella doesn't know that there's a massive park project earmarked on the Delaware waterfront to cover I-95 already. So what is he even talking about?

Old 05-30-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslhu View Post
Read this article yesterday and it left me shaking my head. Philly folks are taking a big role in planning America's 250th birthday. Will the city rise to the occasion?

In 2026, Philadelphia has a chance to put on a show for the world as part of America's 250th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. Unfortunately, the people in charge of the celebration are suburbanites and it sounds like they don't have a big interest in spotlighting the city.

Dan DiLella actually moved his company out of Philly to Newtown Square. He was tapped to head the Semiquincentennial Commission by Pat Toomey, who is notorious for refusing to step foot in the city unless he's fundraising at the Union League or something. The commission doesn't even have a budget right now.

I understand the commission isn't focused solely on Philly, but seeing as it's the most historically relevant city in the country, you'd think it would set its sights on doing something spectacular here. I don't think we're going to get it. What a shame.
We can only hope that Trump will be gone by 2021 at least and Toomey will disappear by 2023. So maybe, just maybe, something can be salvaged.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I think the author of the article is a Philly homer and he was trying to take cheap shots at the organizers.

I can't blame him for trying because you guys fell hook, line and sinker. The last time I checked, July 4th was America's Independence day and not Philly's birthday.
The celebration belongs here and no where else. Brits don't get to have an opinion about it.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Why?
Because I really care about the city and area. Stuff you probably consider to be ridiculously sentimental.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:

Are you an American citizen? If you aren't then butt out.

Any celebration should happen where it all began. Here.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:21 PM

1,763 posts, read 1,527,681 times
Ha ha haha. Most of the time I'm conveniently abroad during the 4th of July celebrations. I have no hard feelings and it's just that I like to take advantage of the quiet week at work to go on vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The celebration belongs here and no where else. Brits don't get to have an opinion about it.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:25 PM

Slightly related. If anyone is interested in Philadelphia's post colonial period go see the William Birch exhibit at the Library Co. of Phila. One of his more famous pictures of Christ Church, looking north, on 2nd St is in this exhibit.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Ha ha haha. Most of the time I'm conveniently abroad during the 4th of July celebrations. I have no hard feelings and it's just that I like to take advantage of the quiet week at work to go on vacation.
I'm trying to understand why you are even commenting on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia