Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 10:11 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,554,265 times

Advertisements

So can the events on the national mall

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
These things can be woven together as part of a year-long celebration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 10:40 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
So can the events on the national mall
Did you somehow miss that I was not saying to eliminate big events? Did you miss that I was saying that the small events scattered through the 13 colonies would be part of a year-long celebration?

You've been plain & clear that you feel that we're inferior to you. 2 of us were here for the Bicentennial. That counts for something. We're both college graduates. We are not uneducated nitwits for you to talk down to.

The 250th anniversary will be a whole year, not one day. That's plenty of time to celebrate Revolutionary War battlefields, have a big celebration in Philadelphia, & have celebrations in every city & town in the country that wants one. Do you understand that?

Old 05-31-2018, 12:13 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Did you somehow miss that I was not saying to eliminate big events? Did you miss that I was saying that the small events scattered through the 13 colonies would be part of a year-long celebration?

You've been plain & clear that you feel that we're inferior to you. 2 of us were here for the Bicentennial. That counts for something. We're both college graduates. We are not uneducated nitwits for you to talk down to.

The 250th anniversary will be a whole year, not one day. That's plenty of time to celebrate Revolutionary War battlefields, have a big celebration in Philadelphia, & have celebrations in every city & town in the country that wants one. Do you understand that?
I find it fascinating that he would become a citizen of a place/country which deliberately destroyed the indigenous population, enslaved millions of human beings for over 200 years(nearly 90 years as the USA)and automatically decided that certain immigrants(the Irish in particular) during the 19th century were sub-human too. But on the other hand Brits roamed the world in order to colonize groups of people and steal their wealth.

I wonder how much actual American history he had to know to pass the citizen test.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:52 PM

The citizenship test is the easiest part. All you need is to get 6 correct answers out of 10 mostly civic questions. There's just a small section on the independence.

That said, I think America, with all it's imperfections is a great country and a force for good around the world. Once in a while we do evil stuff but the country is slowly making progress.

I think Obeezy summerised it well in his last speech (before the orange cheeto took office)

Quote:
For 240 years, our nation's call to citizenship has given work and purpose to each new generation. It's what led patriots to choose republic over tyranny, pioneers to trek west, slaves to brave that makeshift railroad to freedom. It's what pulled immigrants and refugees across oceans and the Rio Grande, pushed women to reach for the ballot, powered workers to organize. It's why GIs gave their lives at Omaha Beach and Iwo Jima; Iraq and Afghanistan – and why men and women from Selma to Stonewall were prepared to give theirs as well.

So that's what we mean when we say America is exceptional. Not that our nation has been flawless from the start, but that we have shown the capacity to change, and make life better for those who follow.

Yes, our progress has been uneven. The work of democracy has always been hard, contentious and sometimes bloody. For every two steps forward, it often feels we take one step back. But the long sweep of America has been defined by forward motion, a constant widening of our founding creed to embrace all, and not just some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

I wonder how much actual American history he had to know to pass the citizen test.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I find it fascinating that he would become a citizen of a place/country which deliberately destroyed the indigenous population, enslaved millions of human beings for over 200 years(nearly 90 years as the USA)and automatically decided that certain immigrants(the Irish in particular) during the 19th century were sub-human too. But on the other hand Brits roamed the world in order to colonize groups of people and steal their wealth.

It was the British military who gave blankets to the indigenous population that had been infected with small pox. It was the British government that set up & pushed the Lenne Lenape onto the Brotherton reservation in South Jersey. Read up on Ulster Province aka Northern Ireland. The British taught the people in this country how to mistreat the Irish. During the potato famine, Parliament forced exportation of food while the Irish starved.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
The citizenship test is the easiest part. All you need is to get 6 correct answers out of 10 mostly civic questions. There's just a small section on the independence.

That said, I think America, with all it's imperfections is a great country and a force for good around the world. Once in a while we do evil stuff but the country is slowly making progress.

I think Obeezy summerised it well in his last speech (before the orange cheeto took office)
Electing Trump isn't making "progress", imo. But as you say you chose to be here. I really did think about emigrating somewhere else when I was younger.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
It was the British military who gave blankets to the indigenous population that had been infected with small pox. It was the British government that set up & pushed the Lenne Lenape onto the Brotherton reservation in South Jersey. Read up on Ulster Province aka Northern Ireland. The British taught the people in this country how to mistreat the Irish. During the potato famine, Parliament forced exportation of food while the Irish starved.
I was pretty much referring to what happened later. That is forcing some people to move from their native lands in today's western N. Carolina, parts of Tennesee and northern Alabama across the Mississppi River to "Indian Country", which is today, Oklahoma. Trump's hero Andrew Jackson was responsible for that. Or the Indian War between the US military and the plains tribes. We all know who won.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:02 PM

Yes, our progress has been uneven. The work of democracy has always been hard, contentious and sometimes bloody. For every two steps forward, it often feels we take one step back. But the long sweep of America has been defined by forward motion, a constant widening of our founding creed to embrace all, and not just some - Barack Obama, Jan 10 2017.

Quote:
Electing Trump isn't making "progress", imo.
Actually, his speech was a call to action, for Americans to stand up to tyranny

Old 05-31-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I was pretty much referring to what happened later. That is forcing some people to move from their native lands in today's western N. Carolina, parts of Tennesee and northern Alabama across the Mississppi River to "Indian Country", which is today, Oklahoma. Trump's hero Andrew Jackson was responsible for that. Or the Indian War between the US military and the plains tribes. We all know who won.
The Trail of Tears.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:09 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
It could not be any worse than what happened in 1976 which, thank heaven, you missed.

We are capable of huge, meaningful, celebrations here. The Pope visit in 2015 proved that. Made in America also proves it every year.

My debbie downer thought is will this country even be a united at all by 2026? Right now we are not shooting at each other a la a new Civil War but we are a lot closer to it than a lot of people realize.

And do you honestly think anyone but aging millennials will care about TS and Bey in 2026? Lol.
Quote:
You don't live here and other than being on Drexel's campus as a student, you have not yet lived in any specific city neighborhood. Correct?

So it's not like you have participated in, or been around, anything that would count as big in Phila.

The NFL draft thing was gigantic. The tv and media gear that was installed for it took a week to install and another week to pack up and break down.

The magnificent arch structure that was created for the Pope',s visit in front of PMA was BEAUTIFUL. I didn't notice how great it actually looked until I saw it on film in the recent film about Pope Francis.

You are sounding just like the Negadelphians that you complain about right now.
I lived in U City at 34th and Chestnut a while, Powelton Village two years, and Northern Liberties for about a year before I moved.

You're missing my point. I didn't say Philadelphia can't handle a huge event, it clearly can. The difference with the 4th of July is that every other city in the nation is throwing big events, and all of the attention, fundraising, famous people, etc. will be focused on NYC or DC. Philadelphia will not be on most peoples radar unless the city throws an absolutely huuuuuuge party. Or unless Amazon and Apple and everyone opens their campus here...

NFL draft, the pope, and Made in America were noteworthy because Philadelphia was the only city hosting that event (and the city did a great job).

My reference to gay pride was a good example. NYC, DC, and PHL all have their prides at the same time, no one even thinks to go to Philly pride unless they live here, because the city does a rather terrible job at the event, and NYC and DC do it bigger and better. I am not a pride fan, I am just using that as an example.

I don't think that is a Negadelphian view at all, I am just stating facts. A Negadelphian attitude would be "Philly sucks, they can't do anything, why would anyone want to celebrate the 4th here, etc."

I would love for the city to be the center of attention on that date, but I doubt it will be, but it is 10 years away, so who knows. And just because I am not walking the streets of the city anymore doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on the matter. I still talking highly of Philadelphia everywhere I go, so far from negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia